Breaking Bad

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
SO! WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?????

Parts of that last episode were mental. No spoilers in this post (stop reading now though...) in case some people are still catching up.

luka

I do quite enjoy this but the writing is very lazy plot wise. very formulaic and repetitive and constantly straining the limits of credulity. I like walts face though and there are plenty of other things to like.

luka

I mean I hero worship hank and aspire to be just like him. im quite overbearing already but he taught me to take it to a much more suffocating level. I love his desperate dan body and his big thick boned skull.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
If only Hank hadn't inexplicably dallied in a situation of obvious extreme danger in the desert after he'd caught Walt, handily allowing the Nazis to arrive on the scene and kill him. The most egregious bit of plotting in the whole series, should've been rewritten.

I wouldn't say the plotting has been lazy in general though. The way the last episode briefly morphed into a horror film was good. The lack of credible female characters continues to grate though, as many have said - Lydia could've been a brilliant new lead character for the fifth series but has been left under-developed for obscure reasons.*

I fear for Jesse's ultimate fate. Word on the internet apparently is that many people might be disappointed by the ending (who knows if this comes from a reliable source or not, of course), and if that is true, I think it might be because the end is so bleak.

*I knew I'd seen her before somewhere - turns out Laura Fraser played a lead character in quite-good 90s Scottish post-Trainspotting Glasgow gangland drama Small Faces. Pity her career after that doesn't seem to have turned out so well (until BB), like so many actors.

Last edited:

luka

the plotting is easily the worst ive ever seen. how many tims does that stupid camper van break down to create a bit of tension. all the fucking time that's how often. everything is repeated time and time again, its beyond lazy, its mechanical

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
only up to season 4 - you don't know what bad plotting is! (sorry for spoilers).

You mean in the earlier series? Ah, I only watched fully from season 3.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i couldn't - my girlfriend was already at the end of series 2 by the time I sat down and started watching out of curiosity, and instantly became hooked. Re-watching episodes from the first two was interesting, but I think BB is stuck between being a fully-developed show and a cliffhanger show of the Homeland/24 variety, so once you know what's going to happen the episdoes are good but not fully engaging

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm halfway through series 1, feels like I'm living in the stone age. It's great stuff though, looking forward to the rest of it (reservations about repetitive plotting notwithstanding).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I started enjoying Breaking Bad a lot more when I realised its a cartoon show compared to The Wire - its basically a ridiculous show, like ''The Shield'' (even more so, even), but its still fantastically gripping. The plotting IS mechanical, in that everything is set up so that Walter can descend into the depths, but its fun to experience that mechanism in action.

I think Season 5 has been much better than Season 4 was, probably because its ramped up the action and there's less of Walter's annoying family. I dunno if its misogynist to hate Skylar/Skylar's face, but I do.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Season 4 is the one for me - can't beat Gus Fring and Mike Ermintraut (sp?) together. The first half of Season 5 was disappointing I thought, although it has got better since the mid-season hiatus.

The female characters (particularly Skyler and Marie) are written in such an unsympathetic way that it's hard to warm to them.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i was totally underwhelmed by the final episode and the extent to which it stretched credulity in a slapdash way, and went out of its way to wrap up every last narrative strand when lots of things could've been left unstated , yet simultaneously missing the monday night netflix ritual that i've fallen into over the past eight weeks

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
everyone hates skylars face, if they say they dont they're just being contrarian.

Yeah, it's pretty unlikeable. Also her name makes her sound like a hi-tech composite material used in the construction of light aircraft.

On one hand I'm annoyed to have got into watching this far too late in the game to have watched the finale with everyone else, but on the other I'm glad I've still got most of it yet to watch.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Finished the second series the other day and seriously pondering buying the next. It's just so, so good, although there are some minor niggles with the way it's plotted, as others have pointed out.

One thing that strikes me is that, with the possible exception of the lack of sympathetic female characters, it's generally a very progressive piece of TV. Its two basic premises are the utter inhumanity of a privatized, profit-making healthcare industry and the huge amounts of money and power placed in the hands of extremely unpleasant people as a direct result of the War On Drugs (both those characters that are introduced as ruthless thugs, and what it eventually turns Walt and Jesse into). It does not paint a sympathetic picture of an America which is neoliberal about what people need but paternalistic about what they like.

Further, isn't Walt pretty much the living embodiment of the American Dream? A can-do kinda guy, an endlessly resourceful entrepreneur who spurns charity while taking risks and working hard to provide for his family.

Very powerful and difficult-to-watch, that scene towards the end of the second series where [SPOILER for the benefit of Rich] Walt just lets Jane die and doesn't lift a finger to help to her. That's the precise point where you know he's really turned to the dark side. Once he'd handed the money over there was clearly no risk of Jane going to the police as that would have endangered Jesse, but he feels she's had it coming because she dissed him, she threatened him and forced his hand. Without even realizing it, he's already thinking like a gangster.

[I agree with the points about the plotting, as I said - I almost have to wonder if the writers have watched Peep Show, there's such a highly developed sense of edge-of-the-seat awkwardness. And things go wrong in synchronicity with each other just a bit too perfectly. But I don't think this detracts too much.]

Last edited:

luka

its not just he repition of scenarios, theres no regard for the physics... people talk about the physics of a computer game. this is a show with no regard for physics to the point where the laziness is insulting. sound does not travel in this show. shouted conversations go unheard by people behind a thin wall. how did skinny jesse get out of that nazi cage? the writers knew it was impossible so they just refused to show it. that is beyond lazy it is unforgivable.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
shouted conversations go unheard by people behind a thin wall.

Yeah I'd begun to notice this, Walt will talk business on the phone with Jesse at normal volume while Walt Jr. is still ambling away to his room, that sort of thing. I think the chemistry is meant to be fairly sound, OTOH.