Acid House

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I thought acid house was an entirely natural and linear development from the afro-american gospel tradition and to suggest otherwise was racist?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
wooohhh handbags with resonance set on full
Naaah, plainly smart alecky facetiousness tbh.

If anything the 'Ragas to a Disco Beat' add some weight to an argument for technological determinism - if someone with some disco records and the same Roland machines and no other connection (afaik) to the Chicago house continuum actually ends up producing something quite similar sounding, then it seems like the technology really is a key input to the sound. Although I've not listened to Ragas to a Disco Beat, so I'm not sure how deep the similarity really is.

Chicago acid and detroit techno are two distinct (but intertwined) strands anyway.

zhao

there are no accidents
I thought acid house was an entirely natural and linear development from the afro-american gospel tradition and to suggest otherwise was racist?

it's main cultural lineage is still as i had put forth: Charanjit Singh was obviously massively influenced by African American music -- hence the words "disco beat" in the title of the album.

but the particular use of the 303 in this way seem to have been pioneered in India. and this fact in no way contradicts anything i have said.

skull kid

yeah but cti's "dancing ghosts" is way better than that raga bhairav album

not to rain on your dick measuring parade or anything. acid is a *feeling* dude

skull kid

anyway, doesn't make it acid just by virtue of a 303. acid is all about working the cutoff and resonance pots in realtime so it sounds like the box is having an epileptic fit - not much of that on the raga bhairav album. sounds to me like dude was using it just as was intended - as a bass synth

Last edited:

skull kid

this is currently my fav acid trak

clark "jak to basics"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

unstoppable

muser

I was amazed when I heard it, but its not really proto-acid as hes sort of using as it was designed ( as a basic bass accompaniment with an 808 and not tweaking it or anything) I doubt phuture or any of the other to be acid house producers heard it at the time either. Still a mental record though.

continuum

smugpolice
can anyone id this track?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
it's even got the acid funk vibe to it since he's trying to bend towards the microtones, which the 303 can't do but it makes it sound like funk in the trying. this is as explicitly acid as you can get, could pass this off for current luke vibert albums even. it does go beyond that too, he does a lot of cool shit on a jupiter 8 playing what are basically bansoor lines and using it that way, in a degree of complexity you don't find in acid.

mms

sometimes
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

continuum

smugpolice
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mms

sometimes

mms

sometimes
stop sticking up trcks that aren't acid you dicks

no microtones my ass

Last edited:

skull kid