Questions Wiki Cannot Answer

zhao

there are no accidents
not sure how many of these are left in the world.... i"ve got a few... lets start with 3

1. can you get the flu from having oral sex with someone who has it?

2. why is it a bit awkward to run into someone at a party again after you've said goodbye?

3. why do most gays seem to prefer female vocals?? doesn't it make more sense for people who don't care for women to listen to ultra masculine singers?? i guess maybe it's about identification rather than adoration? but identification makes no sense either... why would you want to be that which you find unappealing?

Last edited:

3 Body No Problem

2. why is it a bit awkward to run into someone at a party again after you've said goodbye?

In saying good-bye to X you make a (weak) promise about your future behaviour, and set up an expectation (in yourself) that X will expect you to leave (second-order expectation). When you meet again later, you expect that X will think that you have not honoured your promise, and you expect that X will/might think you tried to deceive him/her. You expect X to think that you did that for other (nefarious) reasons, like finding X boring and trying to loose his/her company. So you expect that X will no longer see you as how you would like to be seen (e.g. honest), and that is experienced as being awkward.

zhao

there are no accidents
In saying good-bye to X you make a (weak) promise about your future behaviour, and set up an expectation (in yourself) that X will expect you to leave (second-order expectation). When you meet again later, you expect that X will think that you have not honoured your promise, and you expect that X will/might think you tried to deceive him/her. You expect X to think that you did that for other (nefarious) reasons, like finding X boring and trying to loose his/her company. So you expect that X will no longer see you as how you would like to be seen (e.g. honest), and that is experienced as being awkward.

oh wow! that was like, incredibly concise, to the point, and illuminating. are you a sociologist? behaviorist?

massrock

1. can you get the flu from having oral sex with someone who has it?
The chances of this are higher if they sneeze on you during the act. That's my considered medical opinion and should be taken as gospel.
3 Body No Problem said:
In saying good-bye to X you make a (weak) promise about your future behaviour, and set up an expectation (in yourself) that X will expect you to leave (second-order expectation).
That's good.

But I suppose in that sense saying goodbye is always dishonest to an extant in that you can't make such promises about the future. Maybe that's why I prefer things like 'see you later', or 'in a bit' in such circumstances.

grizzleb

What is the name of the classical music tune/march that was on the advert for Egyptian tourism in the late 90's/early noughties. Been trying to find that bad boy for years.