Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotify Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by slim jenkins View Post
    Thanks for that - very nice indeed for the final day of the year

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i much preferred cold 6000.... in fact that might be my favourite of his.... that or american tabloid....seeemed on autopilot wth this one....
    Yeah when he was touring this new one he didn't exactly sell it as a great piece of work - i loved 6000 for its sheer bloody intensity - rover is not really tempting me despite having read the other two books in the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Thanks for that - very nice indeed for the final day of the year
    Glad you liked it.

Here's one I made earlier (as the TV chefs like to say)...er...cookin' with some jazz...

http://open.spotify.com/user/slimjen...j6uWn679H6sbCY

Yeah when he was touring this new one he didn't exactly sell it as a great piece of work - i loved 6000 for its sheer bloody intensity - rover is not really tempting me despite having read the other two books in the trilogy.
    No, ignore Luka and read the damn thing. The formula may be familiar, but the style is less grating than Cold 6000 and it's worth it just for Hoover as senile jive-talker obsessed with the subversive potential of Tighten Up by Archie Bell & the Drells.

Glad you liked it.

Here's one I made earlier (as the TV chefs like to say)...er...cookin' with some jazz...

http://open.spotify.com/user/slimjen...j6uWn679H6sbCY
    As someone who dips in and out of Jazz and really doesn't know as much as he should about it, this is a supernice bit of work - loving the The Phantom by Duke Pearson - someone I know nothing about.

As I think I have mentioned before, I am generally a solo piano/piano trio kinda guy with funky Miles thrown in for good measure (and maybe a side order of Kenny Wheeler) so these cool combos from a golden age of groovy jazz are a breath of fresh air - even Killer Joe which i have heard murdered almost as often as Autumn Leaves!

'The Phantom' has struck a chord with a lot of people who picked up that list....not surprisingly.

Most covered tune in jazz is probably 'Summertime'. I imagine a Spot check for that would produce a huge list. I honestly couldn't stand hearing another version.

Do you mention 'Autumn Leaves' by chance, or did you read a piece about it somewhere?

I presume you've heard Miles' 'Jack Johnson' sessions? That's the funkiest stuff he ever made.

Nordic female leads from Annisette&Annie to Maja Ratkje&Bertine Zetlitz.
    (Iceland, Finland, Sweden and Norway covered, can't think of any Finnish ones, sorry)

http://bit.ly/scandiecool
    Ness Rowlah

A first stab at Keith Jarrett playlist - inspired by his new album with Charlie Hayden - there is so much i could have put on that i ended up concentrating on 'standards' - be interested to hear what people feel is missing.

the Blue Note sessions are amongst my favourite all time recordings and The Fire Within just is Desert Island Disc time:

http://open.spotify.com/user/dantjen...xdxMm4u684Zgkz

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    No, ignore Luka and read the damn thing. The formula may be familiar, but the style is less grating than Cold 6000 and it's worth it just for Hoover as senile jive-talker obsessed with the subversive potential of Tighten Up by Archie Bell & the Drells.
    I ignored Luka and was glad I did - much better than I expected and very slightly surreal - all that stuff in Dom Rep with assassins with wings?!?

A first stab at Keith Jarrett playlist - inspired by his new album with Charlie Hayden - there is so much i could have put on that i ended up concentrating on 'standards' - be interested to hear what people feel is missing.

the Blue Note sessions are amongst my favourite all time recordings and The Fire Within just is Desert Island Disc time:

http://open.spotify.com/user/dantjen...xdxMm4u684Zgkz
    Great stuff.
    I've sent you (via Spotify) one of my favourite recent Jarrett discoveries.

Great stuff.
    I've sent you (via Spotify) one of my favourite recent Jarrett discoveries.
    Thanks for that - Up For It is a very fine album by the trio - the latest Charlie Hayden thing is very good - despite being a studio album it feels like a live one.

well i thought it was a sentimental piece of shit but each to their own and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    well i thought it was a sentimental piece of shit but each to their own and all that.
    Twee, sentimental, whatever...