situationist war-gaming

continuum

smugpolice
has anyone played guy debords game of war?

i'm a massive war-gaming fan and have been for many years *geek*

would be interested in anyone's thoughts on connections between war-gaming and situationism

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
I've never come across it but I'm curious. is it in one of the books?

I've tried a couple of times to get people interested in a game of Asger Jorn's 3-sided football. Even my grad school friends didn't bite when I explained that it was really an experiment in triolectics that "deconstructs the mythic bi-polar strcuture of conventional football, where an us-and-them struggle mediated by the referee mimics the way the media and the state pose themselves as "neutral" elements in the class struggle."

Some people just don't know how to have fun :rolleyes:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think you should organise a match and then turn up dressed like this:

attachment.php

Sure to create a 'situation'! :D

continuum

smugpolice
you've just given me the excuse i was after to post this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

continuum

smugpolice
Holy crap - you can almost smell the nerd!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Papercut

cut to the bone
yeah, i bought it for my girlfriend last christmas, haven't played it yet. the rules for it seemed like they get pretty complicated. started reading theme a while back but got distracted.

will dig it out tomorrow and give it a go and get back to you.

Papercut

cut to the bone
ok, so i dug it out finally.

the rules are a bit long winded (would have prefared if they were snappy like society of the spectacle) and though the game itself seems like it could be interesting, it kind of feels like a poor mans Go, just with more complicated rules, so its less accessable but also much more limited.

from what i gather its essentially about resources and communication and how they are spread and stretched but i just kept thinking about how these same ideas are represented much better with Go.

I'm sure its popular with people, and its certainly a nicely packaged product, but i don't think it stands up as a game really. Maybe i'm totally wrong. I'd rather play Monopoly though.

continuum

smugpolice
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

PeteUM

It's all grist
War On Terror, the board game.

Nothing to with Situationism but the guys who made this game are pals of mine and this is therefore a shameless plug.

Should have got that one in in time for Christmas really...

continuum

smugpolice

sufi

lala
back when i was a rpger :)o we were only little) i really fancied this game: http://www.sjgames.com/killer/

as it is ‘virtual’ (which back in the 80s means not on a board!) so you chase your mates around and attempt to assassinate them with kind of imaginary weapons – water pistol, plastic spider, banana

this sort of thing kept us entertained til the advent of those ‘laser’ gun & target kits that worked on infrared, sort of like hi tech hide & seek, creeping & chasing around multi-storey carparks trying to snipe your chums - ace

blimey thank goodness for the interwebs eh