Anti-Capitalist Fake-ism

zhao

there are no accidents
I will probably end up buying this Capitalist Realism book, as I'm sure it includes plenty of good analysis, clever arguments, and amusing concepts. But reading Woebot's review of it, 1 passage stood out more than the others (some of which were also eyebrow raising), and fits all too well with what i have been thinking for a long time:
People used to make music because they wanted to touch the stars, stick it to the man, tear up the place, chant down Babylon, explore new possibilities**, or to lose themselves in Dionysian abandon on the dancefloor. Now they do it to be a "big man" or "a famous person" or "rich" or - and this is the most pervasive and specious example of Capitalist Realism with regards to music- "a career".

The "non-mainstream" has been afflicted with its own strain of Capitalist Realism. The extremely unhealthy embrace of business concepts like "the long tail" and "narrow-casting" has wiped out the underground's ability to communicate universally, fostering as it does self-serving enclaves ever decreasing in scale. We might not sell shed-loads of records - but we know what our market is! So many small label bosses now view themselves with a certain amount "professional" pride as respectable small businessmen.

It is actually not quite clear if this was a paraphrase of the book, or Woebot's own woeful moan inspired by K-Punk. The latter seems more likely, but it doesn't matter for what I am about to say. More important than the obvious questions such as which People-Who-Wanted-to-Touch-the-Stars and Left-Lipstick-Traces he is idealizing ---- does this passage not exactly describe the motive and modus operandi of these "Anti-Capitalist" bloggers and theorists??

The K-Punk brand is instantly recognizable, friendly in that "yes everything sucks, i know how you feel" kind of way (not to mention oversized type), and non threatening with plenty of low-culture entry points. It integrates multiple components (other related critical projects), facilitates communication within a synergetic network (of bloggers), and has been carefully built over the years, carving out and cornering a niche market, gaining momentum and strength. Well aware of the dangers of Brand Dilution, K-Punk realized that it was necessary to distance himself from and discredit those with different ideas on how to combat Capitalism, and especially those who are less bitter and miserable: all these "pot smoking dads". Brand consistency throughout all levels of operation has helped the one man organization grow and prosper, driving an ever increasing readership, toward the kind of return that the publishing of this book or the praise from Zizek represents.

There is of course absolutely nothing wrong with utilizing what ever means necessary to get your ideas out there, and corporate marketing and branding strategies are some of the best means available given the context. But to use them while condemning others for using them, assuming a smug air of superiority, this is simple hypocrisy.

It is shaping up to be a real success story indeed: one anonymous blogging entrepreneur pulls himself up from the bootstraps, and through hard, persistent work, was able to stand out from the riff raff, gain notoriety in the public sphere, credibility within academia, as well as praise from the heavy weights. ( even though I haven't yet read the book I have followed enough of the blog to know a thing or 2 about how it works, and has worked)

So are there no alternatives*? According to K-Punk and his ilk, pretty much no (besides a bit of obligatory verbiage about "intellectual improvement" -- in order to even better articulate the lack of alternatives, no doubt). Because ultimately they are of course not interested in real rebellion, revolution, changing the world, or alternative methods of existence. They are not interested in solutions, only in convolutions. In fact, the last thing they want to do is point to any ways out. Quite the opposite: the obsessive analysis of Capitalism and its omnipotency is designed to be solipsistic, to exist within a closed system. For only when there is no way out can the theorizing continue. Only when there are no alternatives can they keep crying wolf about the lack of alternatives.**

The world is a huge place, with countless different philosophies and ways of life, innumerable realities. But it is in the interest of these theorists to discount all of them except theirs, and paint a claustrophobic view of a dark world dominated by Capitalism. All the while reveling in the trashiest hollywood and honey mooning in Euro Disney.

A friend all of you know said the last time i saw him: what would K-Punk do if another May 68 was to happen? Or if he was somehow made to confront the realities of what is happening in the Congo, instead of sitting in the comfort of his home playing "i am cleverer than you" games? the only answer, the only thing he would and can do, is to shut up and disappear.

At the end of the day, it is a Big Lie. Even more hypocritical than the US leftist intellectuals Chomsky called out a while back (they wave Open Border flags fully knowing, and are only willing to do so fully knowing, that what they say they want will never become reality), "critical" theorists like K-Punk are themselves 100% Capitalist, depend on Capitalism for their survival, and deifies Capitalism in the name of criticality. The well built machine of circular logic makes perfect sense within its own frame work. It skillfully seduces you, and makes you blind to the emptiness and profound lack of meaning in its center. But a few of us see through the clever Bullshit: his real goal is self agrandizement -- to be a "big man" or a "famous person" or "rich" or "a career"***.

*Of course there are. Creativity can transcend; spiritual disciplines can get rid of psychic vampires, end addictions, build true independence; direct grass roots political action can have positive effects; new organizational models hint at the obsolescence of old power structures; love breaks down all barriers... But most of these the critical theorists are not interested in. The opposite: they are against many of these things, especially spiritual disciplines and other "New Age Kooky Kalifornia Bullshit".

**Again, not saying that K-Punk's stuff is completely without value. (Entertainment value)

***Nothing wrong with these motives what so ever. We all want attention, me and my own ego certainly not excepted. But when considered with K-Punk's project, the disingenuousness is a little hard to swallow.

Last edited:

poetix

we murder to dissect
"10,000 cyclostyle copies of this for aerial distribution"

Of course there are. Creativity can transcend; spiritual disciplines can get rid of psychic vampires, end addictions, build true independence; direct grass roots political action can have positive effects; new organizational models hint at the obsolescence of old power structures; love breaks down all barriers... But most of these the critical theorists are not interested in. The opposite: they are against many of these things, especially spiritual disciplines and other "New Age Kooky Kalifornia Bullshit".

Ah, there's the beef. I did wonder.

Let's consider the question: to what extent, if any, is the way in which k-punk has drawn together and consolidated a public distinguishable from the PR model of publicity? Inversely, to what extent is the PR model of publicity distinguishable from other forms of making-public that have gone before it (18th-century political pamphleteering, say)?

What are the specific characteristics of the PR model? (Capitalist Realism has a few things to say about this, in fact).

One thing I would note is that it's comparatively unusual for those involved in PR-style self-promotion to decisively reject communication, to insist on talking only to those who themselves have something of value to say. PR people will work to neutralise, mute or tune out hostile voices, of course, but they're usually more than happy to engage with inane ones.

The activities Zhao lists as "alternative" are not, by and large, alternative ways of convening a public for ideas: they're other more or less worthwhile things one might try to do instead (or at the same time). Writing and publishing blogs and (short, polemical) books is a particular kind of activity: it's about practising a rhetoric, and setting up a context of critical reflection in which the content of that rhetoric can be taken up and modified. That is a form of political activity; or, at least, it's a form of activity that intersects with the political (possibly less frequently and significantly than anyone involved in it imagines).

Is convening a public for ideas an intrinsically anti-capitalist activity? Does it become one if the ideas are anti-capitalist ideas? No and no (the latter is a point that Zizek's made repeatedly: capitalism and the dissemination of anti-capitalist ideas - along with ostensibly anti-capitalist "lifestyles" and "spiritual disciplines" - are compatible to the point of symbiosis). At the same time: isn't an anti-capitalism without a common tongue, without ideas and the rhetorical means to consider them, rather easily disarmed and reduced to infantile negation? And aren't ideas without a public equally easily reduced to mere notions in the silly heads of private individuals?

zhao

there are no accidents
Let's consider the question: to what extent, if any, is the way in which k-punk has drawn together and consolidated a public distinguishable from the PR model of publicity?

your phrasing suggests that there are differences in the process or method, but whether there are or not is less important than self agrandisement and the increase of "market shares" clearly being the goal of what he does, and the fact that this real aim is hidden under the make-believe one of "destroying capitalism".

One thing I would note is that it's comparatively unusual for those involved in PR-style self-promotion to decisively reject communication, to insist on talking only to those who themselves have something of value to say. PR people will work to neutralise, mute or tune out hostile voices, of course, but they're usually more than happy to engage with inane ones.

unless unflinching tough solidarity, image of the lone blogger, is an essential part of the brand.

The activities Zhao lists as "alternative" are not, by and large, alternative ways of convening a public for ideas: they're other more or less worthwhile things one might try to do instead (or at the same time).

neither. the activities i listed were meant to be examples of alternatives to the behavioral modes proscribed by commodity culture. they are concrete things in opposition to Capitalist Mind Control, activities which can help to cleanse ourselves of artificial desire, rid our bodies of alien entities, and overcome enforced alienation. for example ancient spiritual teachings of the world supply each one of us with powerful weapons to combat oppressive systems (Captialism is by far not the first oppressive system people fought against).

the point is that there are many many real physical things we can do to become free, or at least free-er, of Capitalism -- but people like K-Punk are more than disinterested: they are against them, ignorantly writing them off as "new age fads". Preferring to revel in Capitalism instead while endlessly bitching about it.

capitalism and the dissemination of anti-capitalist ideas - along with ostensibly anti-capitalist "lifestyles" and "spiritual disciplines" - are compatible to the point of symbiosis). At the same time: isn't an anti-capitalism without a common tongue, without ideas and the rhetorical means to consider them, rather easily disarmed and reduced to infantile negation? And aren't ideas without a public equally easily reduced to mere notions in the silly heads of private individuals?

Zizek's idea of "spiritual disciplines" being able to be so completely co-opted by the system as to become a part of it shows how much he knows about spiritual disciplines -- not much. We are talking about comprehensive physical, mental, spiritual disciplines which have been used for thousands of years to fight oppressive power and its influence, and he thinks they can be co-opted by a social system which is no more than a few hundred years old? and why, because all he sees are yuppies in Slovenia going to trendy Yoga classes? he is in many ways a very intelligent man, not when it comes to this.

you are right about the importance of communciation of course. and i would also add collaboration to that:

When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion. ~Ethiopian Proverb

but K-Punk and his kind are not interested in building community of like minded people to fight Capitalism or create viable alternatives is he? the only thing he is interested in is Self Agrandisement. that and deifying Capitalism as an invincible sky-net-esque Super Monster which is IMPOSSIBLE to defeat -- so long as he can convince people of this, he can continue bitching about it all the while reveling in it.

but like i said, i don't think K-Punk's work is without value. and i hope my pointing out of its hypocrisy and fraudulent aspects does not take away from anyone's enjoyment of it, or keep anyone from being inspired by it.

edit: damn i can't decide to start using caps or leaving it all lowercase like usual.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
People used to make music because they wanted to touch the stars, stick it to the man, tear up the place, chant down Babylon, explore new possibilities**, or to lose themselves in Dionysian abandon on the dancefloor. Now they do it to be a "big man" or "a famous person" or "rich" or - and this is the most pervasive and specious example of Capitalist Realism with regards to music- "a career".

With respect to Woebot, this is bullshit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well I'm pretty sure Mozart (for example) enjoyed being a "rock star" in his day. The explosion of no-mark celebreality numpties over the last decade or so notwithstanding, it's hardly as if celebrity, stardom and groupies are phenomena exclusive to recent history.

I also don't think it's impossible to want to make art for art's sake while enjoying the more tangible or worldly benefits it can bring if you're popular.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Ah, there's the beef. I did wonder.

that may be the most visible or obvious incident, but it runs deeper and longer than that.

i have always been interested in critical theory, taking classes outside of requirements in Uni and all that. but ever since i started studying that stuff i have felt deeply conflicted about it...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
At the same time: isn't an anti-capitalism without a common tongue, without ideas and the rhetorical means to consider them, rather easily disarmed and reduced to infantile negation?

fair point.

funnily enough, i don't think k-punk is a fan of
nl%20no%20logo%20cover.jpg

(may be wrong)

Well aware of the dangers of Brand Dilution, K-Punk realized that it was necessary to distance himself from and discredit those with different ideas on how to combat Capitalism, and especially those who are less bitter and miserable: all these "pot smoking dads".

here's some beef, right here.

like the covers, sharp lines, strong colours, clean.

odwcover-710632.jpg

mm_owen.jpg

is this out yet Poetix?

Cold_World_cover_72.jpg

Preferring to revel in Capitalism instead while endlessly bitching about it.

i may be wrong here, and i could've misread him, but this reminded me of the time k-punk went to bat for (Rupert Murdoch's) SKY on his blog some time ago, in opposition to the BBC. i think a few New Left Review heads did this back in the day as the fearful beastie that was SKY would hopefully clean out the Augean stables of the Atlanticist British/High Tory/Auntie establishment (so the thinking went).

sorry rather OT but just thought of this upon reading what Zhao said here.

poetix

we murder to dissect
Book's been out a little while. There's some "spiritual discipline" right there, for them as can read for it.

poetix

we murder to dissect
k-punk against the licence fee (2004)

k-punk in the kastle of sky (2008 - this episode was the seed of a section of Capitalist Realism on call centres)

A point worth bearing in mind here is that much of Capitalist Realism isn't concerned with markets as such, but with the marketisation of things that aren't markets and can only be treated as markets by systematically deforming them from the inside out. This is a fairly common complaint of people who've worked in the English education system (or indeed any of our public services). A lot of what the book's about is the damage wrought by the imposition of market dynamics as a kind of reality principle.

"Capital" is not a synonym for "money", and "capitalism" is not a synonym for "markets".

massrock

Maybe this is really obvious, and possibly a bit unfair, but might a preoccupation with 'diagnosing our predicament' not sometimes be a reflection of a more personal situation unrecognised, or disavowed ('it's not me - it's capitalism'), as such, projected outwards? Not to imply that there aren't real social, economic, political, cultural issues, but if the very 'disease' that produces and maintains the macro symptoms of 'capitalism' goes un-addressed in the individual, maybe all that can be done is to replicate it. Physician heal thyself, innit.

I guess someone like k-punk would (predictably I suppose) actively reject such a reading of the libidinal impulse behind his 'project'.

Last edited:

poetix

we murder to dissect
All projects are workings-out of libidinal problems. The interesting ones work their way out to somewhere new.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
All projects are workings-out of libidinal problems. The interesting ones work their way out to somewhere new.

Ha, could the word 'project' be expanded in scope to include things as big as:

the Third Reich,
the Soviet Union,
the Cultural Revolution,
the New American Century? (this one actually is/was a 'project', of course)

Sorry, being a bit flippant...thought it might be worth mentioning anyway.

zhao

there are no accidents
Maybe this is really obvious, and possibly a bit unfair, but might a preoccupation with 'diagnosing our predicament' not sometimes be a reflection of a more personal situation unrecognised, or disavowed ('it's not me - it's capitalism'), as such, projected outwards? Not to imply that there aren't real social, economic, political, cultural issues, but if the very 'disease' that produces and maintains the macro symptoms of 'capitalism' goes un-addressed in the individual, maybe all that can be done is to replicate it. Physician heal thyself, innit.

I guess someone like k-punk would (predictably I suppose) actively reject such a reading of the libidinal impulse behind his 'project'.

the personal is of course undeniably the political, but then again there are cases of the enemy being after one's own precious bodily fluids.

but what you describe can probably be found in every case: the critical impulse of course stems from an initial personal dissatisfaction or mal-adjustment to surroundings. those for whom the status quo serves well are usually not against the status quo.

vimothy

yurp
Let's consider the question: to what extent, if any, is the way in which k-punk has drawn together and consolidated a public distinguishable from the PR model of publicity? Inversely, to what extent is the PR model of publicity distinguishable from other forms of making-public that have gone before it (18th-century political pamphleteering, say)?

What are the specific characteristics of the PR model? (Capitalist Realism has a few things to say about this, in fact).

Go on...

Hmm, a convenient distinction. CR engages with hostile voices, but cuts off the inane ones; PR does the reverse.

You know, it is hard to read Mark's farewell to Dissensus as anything other than the desire to lock into a properly solipsistic mode of "resistance", where the philosopher-radicals leave the world and all its stupid morlocks behind and go off and perfect their hermetic codes in peace. Reminds of something Nick said in response to K-Punk during an argument about capitalism at Hyperstition:

"Yes, there are interesting discussions about capitalism to be had, but not here" - absolutely classic. We answer back - bastards!!! - Not a problem you'll find in the K-Punk bunker.​

But this action has a theoretical determinant—this is not mere rejection, but also a politics—right? That seems like a big stretch to me.

massrock

the Third Reich,
the Soviet Union,
the Cultural Revolution,
the New American Century? (this one actually is/was a 'project', of course)

Sorry, being a bit flippant...thought it might be worth mentioning anyway.
Flippant maybe, but that is kind of the thing. Being especially careful to distinguish 'our predicament' from 'mein kampf', at least as far as this plays out in public and one has influence, you know?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
but with the marketisation of things that aren't markets and can only be treated as markets by systematically deforming them from the inside out.

obviously a sensible point.

k-punk said:
Yeh, Murdoch's papers and channels are to some extent influenced by their proprietor's interests. But so what? I for one find the Times less alienatingly bourgeois than the Guardian (used to love all Burchill's digs on this when she was there!).

I know everyone's going to spit on me for saying this, but isn't Murdoch rather like Thatcher in that you might not like him personally, but can you really say that Britain was better BEFORE he arrived? I still remember the sneering and complacency about the arrival of satellite from the elite; 'as if we, with the best TV in the world, need THIS.'

(my emphases.)

hmm.

Vim OTM

scottdisco

rip this joint please
@poetix, thanks for the links, clearly i misremembered quite what k-p said about the BBC, for some reason in my mind i had thought up some epic Perry Anderson-style attack on Auntie from him (!)

if i may plug another blogger book

3313v67.jpg

massrock

but what you describe can probably be found in every case: the critical impulse of course stems from an initial personal dissatisfaction or mal-adjustment to surroundings.
Right, nothing wrong with critique or expressing dissatisfaction with external circumstances.

What I mean, and as I say this might be a bit unfair but still, is that a preoccupation or obsession, building an identity around this, after a certain age at least, coupled with an aggressively dismissive attitude to towards 'silly spiritual' approaches, might sometimes be indicative of more personal issues that could be tackled. I mean understanding that circumstances are unsatisfactory is one thing, but understanding what actually makes you feel dissatisfied inside is another, for instance.
those for whom the status quo serves well are usually not against the status quo.
That's interesting though because I don't think privileged or powerful people can be said to be more satisfied, fulfilled or happy because of their privilege. What happens usually is that they express that in different ways - abusing those below them on the social strata, or starting wars, maybe. The fundamental issue remains the same though.

Last edited: