US Backed Uganda Anti-Gay Bill

john eden

male pale and stale
Well hopefully it won't become law but it has to be said that this isn't far off what happens to gay people in Uganda already.

The one gay bloke I met when I was out there was very secretive and was making strenuous efforts to get out as soon as possible.

Similarly - the role of churches in giving aid which had conditions about promoting abstinence rather than condoms is a de facto death sentence for millions of people.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
:eek:

tragically, this has been coming i think, it's like the end game and forseeable consequence of codifying what has been normal practice, w a few egregious extras bolted on (not that i have John's on the ground experience, interesting stuff there mate).

Museveni has been making homophobic and inciteful statements for years, his authorities have been harassing and detaining LGBTQ activists on a whim for years, the press have been railing against the sin of sodomy for years, and so on/forth.

got to say the current HIV/AIDS bill they're trying to get through in Kampala is similarly appalling; that bill, in fact, is deadly.

opens up vital questions wrt bigots in powerful countries influencing the agenda of weaker states, eg Tehran's man in Kabul who was directly responsible for that 'rape law' bill (among other components) they tried to shove through (which was discredited and defeated in its original incarnation thanks to the actions of Afghani civil society, of course).

no doubt we shall see more and more of this sort of thing as the world becomes ever 'smaller'..

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just really depressing - even the bad excuse that it's an attempt to stop HIV/Aids is transparently rubbish, as the vast majority of HIV carriers in Africa are heterosexual (and more than half are women, IIRC).

There's been some talk of threatening Uganda with expulsion from the Commonwealth - anyone think this'll make a blind bit of difference?

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
There's been some talk with threatening Uganda with expulsion from the Commonwealth - anythng think this'll make a blind bit of difference?

It could do, but I imagine the funding from the US is more significant, so I would think Obama's position on the issue would be more crucial.

I daresay there are also people in the political class of Uganda who want independence anyway...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Miliband was asked earlier this year could Britain force Sri Lanka from the Commonwealth temporarily as a gesture.

he told his Tory questioner that, unfortunately, Britain didn't have the numbers behind them to do that at secretariat level.

john eden

male pale and stale
Miliband was asked earlier this year could Britain force Sri Lanka from the Commonwealth temporarily as a gesture.

he told his Tory questioner that, unfortunately, Britain didn't have the numbers behind them to do that at secretariat level.

Hmmm and actually now I think about it, this is a very similar issue to what is causing the potenital schism for yer Anglicans, with the African churches threatening to head off into the sunset over gay rights...

viktorvaughn

bit lame claiming it's a colonial hangover when it's being introduced in 2009 and Uganda was independent is the 60s or am i missing something?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This bit is just bizarre:

The Observer said:
Lively released a half-hearted condemnation: "It should be no surprise… that modern Ugandans are very unhappy that homosexual political activists from Europe and the US are working aggressively to rehomosexualise their nation."

I must have been off sick the day the rest of the class covered the infamous 'homosexualisation of Uganda' in GCSE History. :confused:

Also, it's unexpected (and heartening) to hear that "the most powerful evangelical in America" has condemned the bill as "unjust, extreme and un-Christian" - especially since hardline evangelists from the US are being blamed in large part for whipping up the bigotry over there.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
bit lame claiming it's a colonial hangover when it's being introduced in 2009 and Uganda was independent is the 60s or am i missing something?

I think John had a point about the Anglicans, and I think what the article was trying to say without being able to state it directly is that all of the countries which have / which had a large Anglican missionary infiltration are largely the ones with problems over "homosexualisation". Just cos Uganda achieved independence doesn't mean that the influence of these missionaries isn't still all pervasive, hence the colonial hangover thing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It says in that Observer piece that Uganda has (slightly) more Catholics than Anglicans.

Not that the Catholic church is a great traditional supporter of gay rights either, of course.

mistersloane

It says in that Observer piece that Uganda has (slightly) more Catholics than Anglicans.

Not that the Catholic church is a great traditional supporter of gay rights either, of course.

Yeah, this is definitely Anglican propaganda from the Church of Uganda though.

I was kinda trying to present or think about a unifying theory of why this insanity is happening...not that it's possible!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
^ :mad:

not Uganda, but relevant

“Ten young Iranian men, including eight teenagers, are currently awaiting execution for sodomy, and two more are being re-tried on the same capital charge. And, in an exclusive interview with Gay City News, an Iranian student gay rights activist confirmed for the first time the existence of queer organizing on multiple university campuses throughout Iran...Defendants in sodomy cases are denied open trials. Last month, Human Rigths Watch, basing its finding on an Iranian newspaper report, told of the execution of two men for sodomy.

here

don_quixote

Trent End
to be fair sodomy is a sin

it's just the idea of a sin is so fucking outdated and medieval it makes you want to cry that these fucking retards think it matters so much that they would enshrine it in law and kill.

every day i try to homosexualise nations. oh no i don't because it doesn't fucking mean a fucking thing.

you know the whole repressed homosexuality thing? i can't see how it cannot be true. otherwise; why so scared?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"If God didn't want people to have bumsex, why did he make arseholes so much fun?"

Last edited:

mistersloane

It's stuff like this that kinda rips me in two : the decadent in me finds that homosexuality and capitalism are being gradually equated perverse and thus pleasurable; the anarchist homosexual in me finds it revolting.

I think we'll see more and more as the century goes on that homosexuality and thus decadence and thus the West become totally enshrined. Sodom and all that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
you know the whole repressed homosexuality thing? i can't see how it cannot be true. otherwise; why so scared?

very true, and of course elements of divide and conquer in there - give the majority a minority group they can endlessly blame/victimise.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm very impressed that mistersloane can type that clearly with both a decadent and an anarchist homosexual in him at the same time. Top multitasking, sir! :D

Edit: sorry, this probably isn't the ideal thread for dad-joke flippancy.

Last edited: