gibraltar

petergunn

plywood violin
if i am in southeast Spain, is Gibraltar a worthty day trip? keep in mind, i am american, so any "britishness" will seem quite exotic and fascinating to me... or is it just a dull, colonial rock w/ nothing to do or see?

luka

no one on dissensus will have been to gibralter. its not somewhere many english middle class music nerds go/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Never been, but somehow I have a feeling it'd be the kind of place that's so exaggeratedly 'British' it would seem alien to most actual British people. Pubs called The Red Lion with a fish'n'chip shop on one side and a newsagent's selling boiled sweets by the quarter pound on the other.

Pure conjecture here. I think luka's right about it not being a typical Dissensian's hang-out spot.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Never been, but somehow I have a feeling it'd be the kind of place that's so exaggeratedly 'British' it would seem alien to most actual British people. Pubs called The Red Lion with a fish'n'chip shop on one side and a newsagent's selling boiled sweets by the quarter pound on the other.

You should start holidaying in Tameside, Mr Tea!

bruno

est malade
fact: the gibraltar library carries only enid blyton and ladybird books, and has the most complete collection of the lady outside of britain.

crofton

Mr Tea's conjecture is uncannily accurate. It is as he says, although it also has apes, unlike England.

A more rewarding daytrip would be Morocco imo ... or somewhere else in Spain. But perhaps I am maligning it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
w the caveat that Crofton's advice sounds sensible, i'd say go for it.

it could be a very interesting snapshot of something at once fossilised and alive, and it's got to be worth exploring around the rock itself.

bruno

est malade
while gibraltar is a special case - the surrounding culture is presumably discouraged - the diaspora will usually build a kind of fort, a concentrated, more static version of the mother culture. it has to be, necessarily, as you can only bring so much (this was more true in the past) and what is brought is chosen sometimes with identity in mind. the british were famous for this kind of thing, i don't know if that is still the case.

martin

----
I have been, it is missable. Unless you want some cheap booze, fags, alcohol or perfume, there is NOTHING there. Some monkeys. About seven pubs full of UK military plaques or else called stuff like 'Rover's Return' and full of 50+ red-faced Brits. One nightclub playing Ricky Martin. Lots of squaddies and a few Moroccan beggars, who are roundly detested. A church and a mosque. You'll also have to wait for ages getting through the checkpoint if you travel in over the border.

But, if you do decide to go - ask people what they'd do if Britain ever handed Gibraltar back to Spain. Fucking hell, you'll see some real fireworks. There's some sort of UDA-style underground civilians' network ready to swing into guerilla activities if that day ever comes. I was warned to keep my voice down when asking about it. It is weird seeing people called Garcia wearing Union Flag shirts and telling you, in Spanish accents, that they're British til they die.

polystyle

Just catching this now.
If you go / or already went and find yourself there at night,
supposed to be an all night Bar that sounded pretty weird.
Ferrys to Tangiers from there too I believe ...

polystyle

Think so too, Tarifa, maybe Faro too ?

Faro was nice for a day visit ( airport is there ),
the sun blinding ...