Thread: English pastoral / countryside / stately homes in film

Default English pastoral / countryside / stately homes in film

Must be cos it's winter but I've been enjoying looking at sunny English green things recently.

The Go-between

and

The Draughtsman's Contract

have both had the beauty of the green with a darker under current for me recently..

Any more tips? (Don't have to be sinister).

Denton Welch, John Cowper Powys, R. S. Thomas (though he's Welsh of course).

Edt: Oh, sorry, you're talking about films.

More stately-home than rural/pastoral, but I quite enjoyed the '20s whodunnit Gosford Park that came out a couple of years back. Worth watching just for Maggie Smith as the lady of the house: "I don't have a snobbish bone in my body!" *glances at breakfast tray* "Ugh, bought marmalade..."
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Gosford Park is almost exactly like my family, only with less incest.
    ** pandemonium ad asbo **

Barry Lyndon by Kubrick absolutely kills it for that stuff pre-Greenaway. In fact you can see all of Greenaway's career kinda oozing out of that film like ectoplasm.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Barry Lyndon by Kubrick absolutely kills it for that stuff pre-Greenaway. In fact you can see all of Greenaway's career kinda oozing out of that film like ectoplasm.
    Yeah that's a good shout. need to rewatch.

I love a bit of Greenaway I must say. Draughtsman and Drowning by Numbers and my faves and I like the early short he did in that idyllic house with all the a is apple etc and the beautiful music...

When I saw the title, The Go-Between came instantly to mind, but that was your first example!

Should be loads, but I'm having a bit of a blank...Remains of the Day for stately homes...My Summer of Love is beautiful and dark...

http://secondstogo.blogspot.com/2009...ychedelia.html This looks interesting (it's probably someone on here who does that blog tho...)
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-12-2009 at 01:43 PM.