How Long Has It Taken You to Finish a Book?

jenks

thread death
Inspired by the fact that I have actually managed to finish a few books that have been lying around for months and I still have one from the summer and by the story of my mate who finally finished Tom Jones having started it ten years ago, I got to thinking about how long certain books can take to read - in a year when I managed nearly 100 books, The Idiot still took a year to read, vol 3 of Proust a good couple of years and, well one day I will finish that Conrad that i keep finding reasons to put off.

So, what's your record? Preferably it should be the same actual copy.

crackerjack

Inspired by the fact that I have actually managed to finish a few books that have been lying around for months and I still have one from the summer and by the story of my mate who finally finished Tom Jones having started it ten years ago, I got to thinking about how long certain books can take to read - in a year when I managed nearly 100 books, The Idiot still took a year to read, vol 3 of Proust a good couple of years and, well one day I will finish that Conrad that i keep finding reasons to put off.

So, what's your record? Preferably it should be the same actual copy.

ackroyd's london has been bookmarked and next to my bed for almost 2 years. i'm on about p150.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As a kid I read George's Marvelous Medicine out loud to my younger brother over the course of a morning. That was good fun.

I read London earlier this year in a couple of months, I think. It's a hefty mofo and no mistake. Terry Pratchett reckons he read TLotR in one sitting as a teenager, but I'm calling bull on that.

Last edited:

martin

----
Longest - I'm 3/4 way through Mailer's "The Executioner's Song", which I started over a year ago. I'm gonna have to start all over again before finishing the last 300 pages - there are so many people and events involved, I've forgotten exactly who's who and where they fit in.

grizzleb

As a kid I read George's Marvelous Medicine out loud to my younger brother over the course of a morning. That was good fun.
Dahl's finest work IMO. :cool:

Except for maybe that daughter of his! (wolf whilstles etc)

Finished 'The Kindly Ones' in about 3 weeks, same with 2666 - apart from that I usually read stuff and then move onto something else halfway through. Must have about 6 half-done books sitting around here, I like to be reading multiple things at the various times, then if I really enjoy something I can blitz it.