history of now: the story of the noughties

don_quixote

Trent End
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...Now_The_Story_of_the_Noughties_Growing_Young/

you know when you leave things open to organically grow?

1) this is a horrible documentary, veers horribly between vacuous, obvious and will self, andrew marr and other luminaries
2) what are they doing letting robert webb narrate? dear god jesus, it sounds like a comedy gig
3) it feels like a pastiche of an adam curtis documentary

but it's still decent, like. and a very interesting p.o.v. put across here, which isn't too wrong in my eyes. the stats of where people live is very interesting.

more thoughts later, but i think it's worth watching

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah I had a similar reaction when I watched it - it looks like some shite which should be on BBC3 but did actually cover some interesting areas, like generational resentment, quite well.

But also all the nostalgia stuff for micro-scooters and talking heads. - i.e "list"/Maconie telly.

The academics were good though.

hucks

Your Message Here
The geographer, Danny Dorling, is always interesting, I think. And some of the observations, and even the overarching narrative, were good. It was a superior list show, or a really frothy documentary.

I did hate the overuse of "we" though - "we" rode microscooters, "we" made loads of money through property. No we fucking didn't.

craner

Beast of Burden
I watched this in exhiliration and despair (the two shrinking poles). Now I know why I drank through the last decade. I will be watching tonight, of course; I thought the documentary was fascinating, and, also, utterly appropriate: what could be more fitting than a smart-stupid whizzy list show to explain the, uh, 'noughties'? If my brain still worked as well as it did in 2001, before the brain-damaging '00s, I'd have a lot more to say, maybe.

john eden

male pale and stale
The teenies will be a decade of pain.

0812071251201.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm into decades, though. I like thinking about decades. I had great fun summing up the 90s. I got that down in about 3 paragraphs. Or was it 4?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I'm into decades, though. I like thinking about decades. I had great fun summing up the 90s. I got that down in about 3 paragraphs. Or was it 4?

can you refresh our memories Ollie, any blog links if you wrote about this?

i lost the power of thought ages ago, it's why i like lists so much.

craner

Beast of Burden
It was on atff years ago. I'll have a go later. I'm wrestling Piaget to the ground a the moment.

craner

Beast of Burden
Incidentally, the programme about the cult of youth was fantastic, and I was totally on-side with Will Self all the way through.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes. Personally, I hang somewhere between Vygotsky and hardcore Pavlovians in my personal theory of learning. Social conditioning!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I thought Piaget made watches and cufflinks and stuff. I feel really thick on here sometimes...