Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Tory bastards

Especially seeing as the last election was so close that these guys may have actually have spoiled the entire thing.

I feel like there may be pattern here of close electoral decisions being pushed over the edge due to some kind of skullduggery, but I can't for the life of me think of any other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I think she would have been better off waiting it out and then jumping off the bus just before it careens off the cliff in about 2 years.

Further evidence that she is a power mad cretin.
    She's definitely a power mad cretin, but doesn't this make sound political sense? When the shit hits the fan, she can still jump off the bus whenever she wants, after all. The one chink in her armour - aside from the fact she's leading the country to certain doom - is that she is presently unelected. And surely Labour would be in a much stronger position in 2020, when it will be far less easy to lie brazenly about the effects of leaving the EU?

She sounded like Skeletor in the press conference I've just seen: "Every vote for the Conservatives just makes me stronger".

What's the longest a single party has been in power in Western Europe post WWII?
    Last edited by baboon2004; 18-04-2017 at 12:07 PM.

As said, from the Conservatives/May's point of view, excellent tactical thinking. Labour in bad state, negative Brexit shitheap not in effect yet. UKIP as a party already a footnote (correct me if I am wrong, I am not in the UK and that's just my impression I get from occasional media coverage over here in Vienna). May's motivation for this possibly to a great extent to get a "mandate" (for whatever). Likely outcome: landslide victory for the Tories.

Those investigations mentioned above - does Julie Average care about it? Possibly not, isn't it public knowledge that "all politicians are corrupt"?

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    She's definitely a power mad cretin, but doesn't this make sound political sense? When the shit hits the fan, she can still jump off the bus whenever she wants, after all. The one chink in her armour - aside from the fact she's leading the country to certain doom - is that she is presently unelected. And surely Labour would be in a much stronger position in 2020, when it will be far less easy to lie brazenly about the effects of leaving the EU?

She sounded like Skeletor in the press conference I've just seen: "Every vote for the Conservatives just makes me stronger".

What's the longest a single party has been in power in Western Europe post WWII?
    The problem with this path is that they now have to own the doom. 5 more years will mean presiding over the coming chaos of Brexit/Scotland/NI, and May will go down as the PM who broke up the UK. Waiting until 2019 when Brexit kicks in would have let them run for the hills whilst Labour try and deal with the mess, and then they can swoop in again 5 years later when enough people are sick of misery and clamouring for change.

That said, clearly its strategically sound as Labour's weakness it means they have a very good chance of winning, but that only matters if you're thinking short term.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Havent looked, but I imagine its Italy.

EDIT, no, its Luxembourg.

The Christian Social People's Party (CSV), with its predecessor Party of the Right, has governed Luxembourg continuously since 1917, except for 1974–79 and from 2013. However, Luxembourg has a coalition system, and the CSV has been in coalition with at least one of the two next two leading parties for all but four years. It has always won a plurality of seats in parliamentary elections, although it has lost the popular vote in 1964 and 1974.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Thanks. Kind of appropriate, given the Uk's future role.

As to the strategy, I see what you mean. Though they'd probably end up shooting themselves in the foot, leg and head when Labour failed to win in 2019.

I don't know, but I get the impression that some people complaining that May has called an election - and contesting her right to do so - where previously complaining about the fact that she was an unelected PM.

Surely the Corbyn fans should be delighted - finally a chance to prove how electable he is.

Did you know that the term 'Tory' comes from the middle Irish word 'tóraidhe', meaning thief, robber or brigand?

Do the Tories have a "strategy" other than to be in it for the most possible individual personal gains anyways?

I knew Corbyn would be ahead on the under-30 vote, but that that lead extends to all under 40 is pretty surprising (and the extent of that lead among women under 40 is startling):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7702616.html
    http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net...graphics_W.pdf

Would Corbyn be close to winning if over-65s are taken out of the picture? In Spain, Rajoy (conservative candidate) only won because of the over-65 vote, for example - I think the PP finished 3rd or 4th among under-65s, if i'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 27-04-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Corpsey- Ruth Davidson

Droid- David Davis

Craner- Anna Soubry

Sufi- Phillip Hammond

Luka- Ken Clark

Tea- Liam Fox

Vim- Jacob Rees Mogg

Excellent comparison, I love Soubry! Massive pro-EU warrior, big supporter of Citizens Advice, foreign policy internationalist, and has sexy eyes.
    Last edited by craner; 11-06-2017 at 09:17 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Not sure I like the comparison to "Dr" Liam Fox.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you