Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Tory bastards

So the deal is that the Ballyban have pledged to support the Tories in Commons votes but are not officially part of the government - so they still don't actually have a majority. Is there a precedent for this, and how long can it go on for? Is May going to attempt to limp along for another five years like this?

Also, who has the power to bring about an early election? Does it have to the PM, or can an opposition leader suggest it and put it to a vote? If the latter, do you reckon enough moderate/Europhile Tories might rebel to pass the vote?

Edit: says here if a government (presumably meaning a majority) can't be formed following a No Confidence vote (which ousted Callaghan and brought in the first Thatcher government in 1979), or if a supermajority of 2/3 of MPs vote in favour of one.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 27-06-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I don't think there is a precedent. 1974 obviously in the same ball park, but no such agreement made.

Tory MPs openly saying that May won't stay in for five years, but offering little more than that by way of precision. Once the DUP deal blows up in her face, surely May will be toast. Who the fuck is going to be her replacement though - the realistic candidates are dropping like flies. This man http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/i...20170620129863 is the bookies' favourite, which says it all. And second fave Philip Hammond would make the 'zombie Prime Minister' assessment unnervingly literal.

I imagine some of it will depend on public mood - surely there's only so long a minority government can limp on without any real power, if the public is baying for a new election? Even if there's no formal no-confidence vote. Not sure though, the whole situation is baffling me...

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Headline in today's Torygraph, of all papers.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post

first thing this made me think of is Mhairi Black's self-professed friendship with Jacob Rees-Mogg. Seems the most British thing ever - getting on on a level of 'banter', and agreeing never to talk politics. I think part of growing up in this country is conditioning for exactly that.

I thought the first piece in that link was an ironic pisstake until I got half way down.

Just found out that a cousin of mine, who's registered disabled (not super severely, but enough that it's not really feasible for her to live totally independently, and she's never going to earn enough to fully support herself) has had her personal independence payment stopped, and in all probability is going to have to move back in with her mum (who is already the main carer for her mum, my quite badly senile grandma).

God they really are such utter cunts. Fortunately I have a friend with years of experience in fighting bullshit like this, so I shall ask for some advice to pass on.

Is she not going to appeal the decision?

Is she not going to appeal the decision?
    She plans to. I think most of these decisions get overturned if appealed, or at least a big proportion of them do, so I'm hopeful. My excellent friend has already got back to me with some useful links, too.

Well the first stage - the DWP 'Mandatory Reconsideration' - hardly ever gets a result. The following tribunal stage is usually more successful. Citizens Advice will help her do it for free.