Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just found out that a cousin of mine, who's registered disabled (not super severely, but enough that it's not really feasible for her to live totally independently, and she's never going to earn enough to fully support herself) has had her personal independence payment stopped, and in all probability is going to have to move back in with her mum (who is already the main carer for her mum, my quite badly senile grandma).

God they really are such utter cunts. Fortunately I have a friend with years of experience in fighting bullshit like this, so I shall ask for some advice to pass on.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is she not going to appeal the decision?

She plans to. I think most of these decisions get overturned if appealed, or at least a big proportion of them do, so I'm hopeful. My excellent friend has already got back to me with some useful links, too.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well the first stage - the DWP 'Mandatory Reconsideration' - hardly ever gets a result. The following tribunal stage is usually more successful. Citizens Advice will help her do it for free.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Has this majority-bereft, Brexit-paralysed, lame duck Tory government been forsaken even by the Murdoch press? Yesterday's frontpage story in the Sun On Sunday was about an alleged sex attack on a Labour MP by a Tory one - should've taken a photo but I didn't have my phone on me. Of course one story doesn't mean much by itself but it was notable that the party affiliations of both aggressor and victim were plain to see in big black block caps...

firefinga

So how much of a "dead woman walking" is May then? We "on the continent" usually get news along the lines that May/Tories don't have a clue/are totally overwhelmed with the Brexit negotiations. Don't really have much time these days to follow this any closer than the bits n pieces I catch on the news.

droid

She is a cathedral of dust motes and ancient cobwebs held together only by the fear of total edifice collapse.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
She is a cathedral of dust motes and ancient cobwebs held together only by the fear of total edifice collapse.

I accidentally put my finger in her the other day while throwing her away and she was all squishy and gross. :eek:

DSC_0281.JPG

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Seriously though, how much longer can this go on for? 'Omnishambles' doesn't begin to describe it. Isn't there some ancient procedural mechanism for calling for a vote of no confidence in HMG?

droid

So many appallingly offensive and idiotic takes on irish politics and history from Brexiteers at the moment I actually cant take it.

And its just going to get worse when the Tories tank the negotiations and sacrifice any hope of sane divorce on behalf of the DUP in December.

firefinga

Merkel struggling to form a functual government (or even new general elections) in Germany aren't helpful developments in the whole Brexit mess either.

droid

I was seriously worried that the EU would sell us down the river now they've gotten their cash, but Tusk just made a very strong statement in support of our veto of phase 1.

The unionists have been losing their shit all week, so now we're in a situation where the Tories have to choose between a deal on Brexit and DUP pullout and collapse of government (and the DUP will do that, even if its political suicide) or no deal and retaining power. The third option is some incredibly clever written commitment on the border that's acceptable to Dublin, and bear in mind that the last time we accepted Britain's word on the border was with the boundary commission in 1920 - and we're STILL waiting on it's final report.

Should be an interesting week.

droid

Big news. The border will now effectively be in the Irish sea.

The DUP are going to shit the bed, but presumably this will gain enough support from everyone else to push it through, after that though, all it will take is one no confidence motion for a collapse of the government.

Assuming of course that the brits aren't just lying through their teeth.

droid

I really cant stress the importance and the huge irony of the most anti-republican Tory lite Irish political party delivering a hammer blow to the Tories potentially breaking up the union (if Scotland follow tack, which they will) and bringing Irish unification closer than it's ever been since 1922.

:crylarf:

droid

A ruinous civil war, another 35+ years of conflict, death squads, terror bombings, thousands dead and countless more lives destroyed... all wiped away because of a spat between a couple of Bullingdon boys.