iPad

connect_icut

So does anyone here care about the iPad?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8483654.stm

On the whole, my response would normally be "meh". However, I've long wanted one of those crazy Jazz Mutant touch-screen MIDI controllers. Those things cost between four and five thousand dollars, I think. The iPad is going to be $400-$800 and it's only a matter of time (probably not much time) before someone writes an app that turns it into a fully programmable MIDI controller.

massrock

On the whole, my response would normally be "meh". However, I've long wanted one of those crazy Jazz Mutant touch-screen MIDI controllers. Those things cost between four and five thousand dollars, I think. The iPad is going to be $400-$800 and it's only a matter of time (probably not much time) before someone writes an app that turns it into a fully programmable MIDI controller.
Yeah, as a cost-effective customisable multi-touch controller it could be really good.

I really like the idea of running something like Numerology on it. That would be fantastic I reckon.

connect_icut

I was talking to someone who's been following this and the consensus of opinion seems to be that the Jazz Mutant Lemur will be history before the year is out. $400 versus $4000? Bit of a no-brainer.

Might not take 'til the end of the year if this iPhone app works on it!

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Simple mixing app

http://ipadmixr.com/

ipad-mixr-turntables.png

massrock

Looking quite promising for music things already this isn't it.

Korg Electribe

I guess mostly as an affordable, configurable controller there's lots of potential there and lots of developers working on it.

Last edited:

connect_icut

The Korg thing looks cool. I actually have an Electribe ES1 sampler and it's ace.

Mainly, though, it's stuff like TouchOsc and Midipad that will make me buy an iPad - not so much for the wireless aspect but for the configurability.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Apple over takes microsoft

Tenth employee dies at iPhone maker

Hard labour for gadgets

60 hours Maximum working week stipulated in Apple's "supplier responsibility" code of practice
54 per cent Factories breaking Apple's rules on working hours (according to Apple's Supplier Responsibility 2010 Progress Report)
39 per cent Factories breaking Apple's injury prevention rules
30 per cent Plants breaking Apple's hazardous substance rules
30 pence Hourly wage of 300,000 workers at Foxconn in Shenzhen
86F Temperature exceeded in workshops at the KYE Factory in China, which supplies Microsoft
2,000 Number of Microsoft mice mouse-makers in the KYE Factory must make per shift
15 hours Maximum length of a shift at the KYE factory

hucks

Your Message Here
"Apple and other clients have said they are investigating working conditions at Foxconn, which has some 420,000 employees at its base in Shenzhen and has come under fire for its secretive corporate culture"

420,000 people working in one place! The scale of stuff in China is just mind boggling...

connect_icut

So does anyone have any experience using TouchOSC or any other controller app on the iPad yet? Is it worth buying an iPad just for use as a MIDI/OSC controller - aside from the obvious moral implications of supporting market-Stalinism in China?