Being unemployed...

mms

sometimes
sounds like the sort of qualifications benji where you could apply to work for an organisation like the red cross pretty easily.
mate is doing that in columbia.

benjybars

village elder.
just got a letter saying that i won't be receiving jobseeker's allowance cos i left my last job voluntarily.

:(

i am so fucked for money. why are they doing this to me??!! quite literally, how am i supposed to buy food?

john eden

male pale and stale
just got a letter saying that i won't be receiving jobseeker's allowance cos i left my last job voluntarily.

:(

i am so fucked for money. why are they doing this to me??!! quite literally, how am i supposed to buy food?

Do you not still get income support? In the olden days it used to unemployment benefit if you'd paid NI over the years and not left voluntarily OR income support.

Ask.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Being on the dole was quite good fun for a year or two in the early 90s (when I was in my mid twenties), but only because it was a bit easier then and lots of people I knew were in the same boat, including most of the people I lived with.

I had loads of fun on the dole when I was in Nottingham. I worked in a floatation tank, part time (easiest job EVAH) ,lived with a guy who grew weed and went to site parties at the weekend. Lots of people I knew were in a similar position. I read, walked around, did a magical practice, played Karoom (wicked Indian board game - cross between draughts and pool) and did lots of vegetarian cooking. It was aces.

Think I've been on the dole once since then, in London and it sucked arse. Actually being on the dole and going down the fucking job centre to justify your existence is horrible and you fall into inevitable hate/hate relationship with the stressed out bods behind the counter. I would've thought that they'd be so busy now that they might have less time to give you grief? Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Do you not still get income support? In the olden days it used to unemployment benefit if you'd paid NI over the years and not left voluntarily OR income support.

Ask.

Income support is for people who are not unemployed but who do not earn very much.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I had loads of fun on the dole when I was in Nottingham. I worked in a floatation tank, part time (easiest job EVAH) ,lived with a guy who grew weed and went to site parties at the weekend. Lots of people I knew were in a similar position. I read, walked around, did a magical practice, played Karoom (wicked Indian board game - cross between draughts and pool) and did lots of vegetarian cooking. It was aces.

Notts was a good place to be on the dole in the mid-1990s- plenty going on.

Where was the floatation tank, danny?

Benjy- get down your local CAB and get some advice asap.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Notts was a good place to be on the dole in the mid-1990s- plenty going on.

Where was the floatation tank, danny?

Yeah, that was from 96-97 - great times. Lots of DIY parties, loads of other little sounds up and running.

The floatation place was down in Hockley, on Goosegate, above some of the shops in an alternative "healing arts" sort of space.

It was a great job, all I had to do was sort out the bookings which didn't take long, and clean up between customers, but once they were in the tank I could do what I wanted. I spent the time either making tea for my mates or playing Doom.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Yeah, that was from 96-97 - great times. Lots of DIY parties, loads of other little sounds up and running.

The floatation place was down in Hockley, on Goosegate, above some of the shops in an alternative "healing arts" sort of space..

Oh yeah, I know where you mean. I was there same period. I enjoyed it a lot.

IdleRich

IdleRich
yeah will do. there's always an intimidatingly massive queue at my local one but still.. needs to be done.
Well, for me the downside of being unemployed is that you don't have much money, the upside is you have loads of time. I try and use it for fun stuff like watching films and reading when I can but I guess you can also use it for waiting through a massive queue. Take a book I reckon.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I've been unemployed since the beginning of the year...I've had two interviews this year, I had three late last year while I was still in a job. I took a voluntary package of around $60,000 AUS and am using it to pay off my mortgage..

But it's deflating as time goes past and you still don't have a job, or having interviews that you felt went really well, and then finding out you 'just missed out'. That sucks. What is even worse is the 'career transition' mobs they link you with. It's disgusting. Firs they include 'free financial planning' which was essentially these motherfuckers trying to take some of yr payout and then fuck with it on the stock market or wherever - the EXACT reason why people are unemployed now! Then they 'train' you to find a job, but say '80% of people get a job through someone they know' - what about skills? On top of that they are in collusion with agencies, who realy don't give a flying fuck about you unless they have placed you in a job and taken a spotter fee..It gets very, very frustration the amount of middle-men motherfuckers making a buck out of other peoples misery/failure - its literally a human commodity market - it's quite disgusting actually.

I've rang the dole office, but it felt really degrading. I've been employed for 14 years, I was in my last job 11 years but chose to quit as it was getting dead end and to take a risk in my life...it's been a weird experience, and I've been depressed the last few weeks..

It's good to not worry about money.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
or for people who don't work but don't qualify for jsa because they aren't able to work [/nitpick]

Isn't there a special Incapacity Benefit or somesuch for people who can't work for whatever reason? Or a Carer's Allowance for people who are too busy looking after someone else?

sufi

lala
Isn't there a special Incapacity Benefit or somesuch for people who can't work for whatever reason? Or a Carer's Allowance for people who are too busy looking after someone else?
welll, apparently
If you cannot work because of illness or disability which started before 27 October 2008, you may be able to get Incapacity Benefit. This is a weekly payment for people who become incapable of work while under State Pension age.

Employment and Support Allowance was introduced on 27 October 2008.

It replaces Incapacity Benefit and Income Support, paid because of an illness or disability, for new claimants only.

more boring bureacratic drivel available here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...tsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018708

gumdrops

the programmes on bbc1 last night about being jobless made me feel a bit better.

could do with a flotation tank job right now though.

still, i made fifty quid today on discogs!

i didnt know about JSA not being allowed if you quit your last job. there must be a way around that.

DannyL

Wild Horses
i didnt know about JSA not being allowed if you quit your last job. there must be a way around that.

One of the many cuntish changes brought about by the last Tory government. I think you can't claim for 6 weeks - maybe it's longer now.

benjybars

village elder.
One of the many cuntish changes brought about by the last Tory government. I think you can't claim for 6 weeks - maybe it's longer now.

yeah they've said i'll be eligible again from March 20th.

i had an interview today.

but the job was shiiiit and i blatantly didn't want to work there. must have come across in the interview cos they phoned me about 34 seconds after i walked out to say i didn;t get the job.