Being unemployed...

gumdrops

i dont know why companies always ask if they can check your refs before an interview/job offer. surely that would take forever. plus i dont really want my referees to be bothered for a reference unless im getting the job. otherwise theyd be getting asked for one all the time.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
there should be a job centre dating-plus site.
'why say no to romance just because you are unemployed?'

This is just one step away from that line in whichever Kevin Smith film about trying to pick up chicks outside abortion clinics "because it means they're easy..."

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i dont know why companies always ask if they can check your refs before an interview/job offer. surely that would take forever. plus i dont really want my referees to be bothered for a reference unless im getting the job. otherwise theyd be getting asked for one all the time.

Having worked at an employment agency for a time I know now that they often don't check your references at all, and when they do they don't ask questions much deeper than "did he work there? was he any good?" so you could basically just give a list of your stupidest mates' phone numbers and they could handle the job for you. The same goes for degrees. Employers say they are required but very rarely bother to check and prefer to just take your word for it.

Of course this isn't foolproof as there are companies out there who actually care who works for their companies.

gumdrops

i know one girl who i went to uni with, lied about her degree (i think she pushed the grade up a bit) but after 6 months probation on the job, the company checked it, found out it was a bit of a lie, then gave her the boot.