Being unemployed...

benjybars

village elder.
is weird innit?

takes all day to have a shower and get dressed.

does anybody want to give me a job? i speak reasonable spanish.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"takes all day to have a shower and get dressed."
Yeah, I hear you. Took me ages to get out of bed - possibly because I knew I was gonna spend a large part of the day taking the side off the bath to see if the awful smell was caused by a dead rat.

Leo

was unemployed once and looking back, i wish i had enjoyed my time off more. of course, that's hard to do at the time cuz you're all concerned about the future, but in retrospect it'll be just a short blip on your career.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was shit at being unemployed. Or maybe I was really good at it. I have no idea what the benchmarks are.

IdleRich

IdleRich
was unemployed once and looking back, i wish i had enjoyed my time off more. of course, that's hard to do at the time cuz you're all concerned about the future, but in retrospect it'll be just a short blip on your career.
Yeah, I've been out of work since October and I wish I had relaxed a bit more at the start instead of worrying about getting a job and not actually doing anything about it. Now I really do need to worry I realise how little my need to worry was at the start - if that makes sense.

luka

ive never been unemployed. claiming the dole seemed too much like hard work.

martin

----
The dole fucking sucks, I was on it for a month in '97 and did everything I could to get off...even sitting behind a boring council reception desk and letting councillors in and out when they've forgotten their swipecards was a zillion times better. £190 a week vs £40 a week (back then...I understand it's gone up to a generous £50 now?)...you work it out.

I mainly remember spending a lot of time in libraries, going for long walks, filling in endless stupid fucking housing benefit forms and having to wonder whether to splash out on fags or food. Going down the pub wasn't really an option. Fuck anyone who says it's a 'cushy option'. But then I hate being skint more than anything else and love the smell of money (which really endeared me to the anarchists...)

Kinda facing a similar situation now, but just going ballistic lining up as many interviews as possible. Can you get any translation work? Maybe do a Google for relevant agencies... my mate used to do Swedish / French translations for one in Central London, and the money wasn't bad, if I remember right.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Having been on housing benefit for a year or so until I started this job last November, I can only imagine that the whole system is run by a sadistic cabal of dedicated Kafka enthusiasts.

john eden

male pale and stale
Being on the dole was quite good fun for a year or two in the early 90s (when I was in my mid twenties), but only because it was a bit easier then and lots of people I knew were in the same boat, including most of the people I lived with.

Much harder now.

Get yourself on some agency websites and bung up a profile on linkedin if you haven't already.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Having been on housing benefit for a year or so until I started this job last November, I can only imagine that the whole system is run by a sadistic cabal of dedicated Kafka enthusiasts.

You ever doubted this? The Trial is their fucking training manual.

massrock

They actually did something quite sensible with housing benefit when it changed to local housing allowance. Cut out quite a bit of bureaucracy and messing about. You get a certain maximum amount based on the type of property and where it is, offset by income, which if you are on the dole is essentially nothing. You even get to keep the difference if your rent is a bit less. I think how awkward it all is depends on where you are, which council. It's more transparent than it was and I think saves a lot in admin costs.

Obviously it's pretty hard to survive financially on the dole, but it can be done. What I think is a real problem is how difficult and basically disadvantageous the present system makes it for people on benefits to take short term or irregular work. Most of the time it's not worth it and just creates tons of hassle and paperwork for all concerned, or worse. If this was handled better I think a lot of people would find it easier to be more flexible with doing work and more work would actually get done.

Yookay I'm talking about obv.

Last edited:

Leo

linked in has never done a thing for me. does it actually work for people?

nope. i just use it when i meet someone who i might be doing business with, do a quick linkedin search to get some background on them.

john eden

male pale and stale
linked in has never done a thing for me. does it actually work for people?

I've been headhunted off it twice, for jobs I was half interested in. Plus a couple of the groups are quite good. Oh and my ex of some years ago used it to get in touch, which was bizarre but good.

Probably depends what your work is.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I love unemployment. I don't know what any of you are talking about. I strive for unemployment. Some of the most miserable periods of my life have been those where I have been gainfully employed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I love unemployment. I don't know what any of you are talking about. I strive for unemployment. Some of the most miserable periods of my life have been those where I have been gainfully employed."
Well I've never had a job I liked so I am enjoying unemployment but I'm concerned about my financial situation and whether I can pay all my bills and stuff next time they come around. I certainly don't get bored or anything having loads of time to myself - it's just that all the time I'm enjoying myself I know that I'm doing it with a finite amount of money that's constantly ticking down. Quite quickly.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Well I've never had a job I liked so I am enjoying unemployment but I'm concerned about my financial situation and whether I can pay all my bills and stuff next time they come around.

This is the only legitimate argument against unemployment.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
The amount of people I know who graduated last year and are still unemployed is quite depressing. It'll be my turn come June, what fun that'll be.