Software you love

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
keep meaning to check foobar out...

xplorer² - total windows explorer shell replacement. but the reason i use it is for it's cut&copy queues. no more waiting for one copy job to finish before you start another. not really into having lots of copy jobs on at once. just select 'add to queue'

dbpoweramp - easily my favorite audio format converter. been using it for years. right click a file and select covert to... nice selection of codecs to choose from.

better file rename - all kinds of nifty single or batch file renaming. want to make everything lower or proper case? or add sequential numbers or a word to the beginning of a group of files? how about replacing every '_' with a space? what about removing any instance of a specific word from a load of files? boom.

agent ransack - advanced search program. what the hell have microsoft done to the new search in 7? this one is quicker than the old one tho and more configurable.

acronis true image - the number of times this thing has brought me back from all manner of effedness. backup your system, folks!

easyrecovery - same as above except for deleted files.

mipony - best rapidshare et al. download manager. does all the waiting, captchaing and even extracting of archives for you.

nutchord - tap in a chord or scale and it tells you what it is. also does the reverse and shows you all chords and scales on guitar, bass and piano.

soulseek - still amazing for things that you can't find anywhere else. just need a bit of patience.

usb safely remove - replaces windows 'remove hardware' thingy in the taskbar notification area. way more reliable than windows' built in one. if something cannot be stopped because it's in use, it tells you what processes are using it and gives you the option to close them. most of the time it just removes it tho.