jimitheexploder

I think Damu is wicked. I wouldn't say he's an alternative to Disclosure thats obv Joy Orbison/Gerorge FitzGerald/Sepalcure/etc or any number of others. Damu sounds to me like he's doing his own thing with it, he's got some energy and vibe of his own. He's way more bleepy and colourful. Not very housey either. Bonus.

sgn

You're more than welcome to dislike Damu but across his entire output this isn't accurate.

True, but I don't think either of us were going for accuracy. We were just exchanging blanket criticisms of things we don't like. It's not like all of Disclosure's relatively small output sounds like Joy Orbison either.

@ jimitheexplorer - I don't care for George Fitz/Sepalcure/Jacques Greene etc. at all and it's not like I'm a huge fan of Disclosure either. I just think Flow is a very good house track that's fun and not incredibly self-serious in a way tracks by those three artists and others like them aren't.

I'm glad we can all agree about 123mrk track though.

guppyslim

If I remember correctly, a while back Jackmaster said in an interview that the reason he plays loads of garage and house in his sets is because so much of what's being made now is pretty boring and/or doesn't work a dance.

I don't really know what my point is, except largely agreeing and not understanding the point of dance music that doesn't make people dance... Wondering whether the people making plodding, pedestrian, boring stuff ever go out dancing at raves. Them kinda points there....

That Lando Kal tune is ruff, btw.

For example, http://boomkat.com/vinyl/489152-pusherman-shake-it-off-ep is boring. Or am I getting old?

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

That Pusherman track is alright. Like a halfway house between Boddika and Pearson Sound or something. It'll prob sound better in a mix played off something else, not sure yet.

What else am I diggin that I'd call post-dubstep at a push bar Damu and Lando Kal...

They all have a ruder edge I guess.

sgn

Well done

Can totally see certain complaints re damu but he sounds nothing like joy orbison.

I'm not going to go through an entire discography of music I don't like to prove a point, but here's one example:
Skip to 2:25. That's as textbook Joy O/post-dubstep as you can get without replacing the album cover with an "artistic" black and white photo of a cute but not overly sexualized indie chick to get the whole package.

I suppose Joy O (synths, chord progression) + Twee Zomby (those whimsical arps!) would be a more accurate description, but to say that he sounds nothing like Joy O is the biggest overstatement of the last fifteen centuries.

SecondLine

They all have a ruder edge I guess.

These are all quite nice (the Cosmin TRG track is just house though, surely..?).

But really when it comes down to it these producers are all (to cadge a phrase) droopy eyed armless children when held up to this:

I think it takes a 'what the fuck!' every now and then to remind one that a large number of 'that's pretty cool' don't really add up to the same thing.

I hate it when people dismiss everything going on atm on the basis of that last sentence tho. I think Objekt is a cause for optimism. he's a new guy

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I suppose Joy O (synths, chord progression) + Twee Zomby (those whimsical arps!) would be a more accurate description, but to say that he sounds nothing like Joy O is the biggest overstatement of the last fifteen centuries.

I like some of Joy O's stuff, "Elipsis" and "Hyph Mngno" especially but I dont think he has such identifiable, trademarks. If anything I think Damu has a more dense sense of identity, his arpeggios, colour and warmth.

I'm biased here as I A&Red his album but then that is an informed viewpoint since I've heard a lot of his stuff. And for that album I did push for both stuff that had that arpeggiated colour but also tracks that didn't, tracks that went into other directions such as "Maths is Fine for Sum" or "Cheat When You Compete."

Local Authority

bitch city
Doesn't anyone think this whole post/future/bass/quasi-house shit seem a bit wet.

As in, in the bigger scheme of things and in the timeline of the nuum, its more of a slight deviation rather then where things should be heading.