wise

bare BARE BONES
I was really looking forward to it but ended up skipping through most of the tracks cos they were so annoying.
I think it was only 1,2 & 12 that I could listen to all the way through.
All a bit too reminiscent of broken beats jazz meanderings for me, too many wonky synths as well but that's to be expected I suppose :slanted:
Will give it another go tomorrow.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
New [nakedlunch] mix

Axel Boman - Depression - Glass Table
Boddika & Joy O - Mercy
Kevin McPhee - Outs
Nubian Mindz - Awareness
2562 - Plunge
Nubian Mindz - Another World
T-Polar - Street Car Named Desire
Boddika - Steam
Radio Slave - Ego Trippin - Running Back
Roska & Untold - Long Range - Numbers
Trevino - Shorty
Boddika - Acid Jackson
Unknown - Untitled
Bok Bok & Tom Trago - Lil Ma
Looking for a New Love (Levon Vincent Remix)
Trevino - Burried - [NAKEDLUNCH]
Detroit in Effect - Are You Married - MAP

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I was really looking forward to it but ended up skipping through most of the tracks cos they were so annoying.
I think it was only 1,2 & 12 that I could listen to all the way through.
All a bit too reminiscent of broken beats jazz meanderings for me, too many wonky synths as well but that's to be expected I suppose :slanted:
Will give it another go tomorrow.

I feel the same way about it although I must say I never really have been into DVA.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
LOL telling Zed Bias!! to cut out the swing.

And as much as I trust Loefah I can't help getting that feeling when I read

I don't want to just release a collection of 12s. These albums have to be albums in their own right

Oddly enough there have been some great LPs the last few years but still...

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

Interested in a Mickey LP he's always been on it. Shortstuff is a badman.

Not so fussed about a Boddika LP but only cos he's had about a million 12"s the last few years. Zed might be good. His 12" pack on Swamp was kinda massive. Wasn't feeling his other bits the last god knows how many years bar the Keysound bit mind so jury's still out really.

The next FaltyDL should be a good'un, kinda interested in what Chunky's beats sound like. His MC'ing is so bad its unreal, live and on radio but I can prob see why they keep him around if the beats are good haha.

CrowleyHead

As much as I love the thought of Swamp '81, I honestly feel like the only good thing this label's put out is maybe "Footcrab" and "Work Dem". Zed is boring these days, Joy O will always be garbage, the Mickey stuff is 'fine', the Pinch stuff 'fine', all adequate, dull, boring, not even really necessary or vital or alive in any sense. Bitter Old Man of D&B/Dubstep music.

Also, it was so easy for Boddika to piss away all of the critical reputation he's garnered with his endless stream of fodder that he puts out. He's bright like that.

rubberdingyrapids

love that loefah interview but yeah, i dont really find the output that interesting. footcrab i even prefer the spinn and rashad remix. swamp81 seems a bit too closeted by a limited if potentially great aesthetic and too much 'good taste'. even the sleeve design turns me off a bit with how its trying so hard to be classy. its all almost too well executed. its cool hes aiming for warp status, but i think he would need to open up his remit a bit for that to happen. hyperdub is closer to being the new warp, kode 9 does have a general preference that you can tell, but its a bit more open.

speaking of which, that dva album is excellent. dont think it hangs perfectly as an album, and some of the vocalists i can take or leave, but hes such a good producer. and considering i never used to rate vikter duplaix as a songwriter, i love the song with him on there.

rubberdingyrapids

i suppose its the line between refined and... clinical? or stopping just short of being too worked on. eg - i like footcrab but think it could be less 'developed' and be stripped back a bit. but then loefah seems to favour ultra precision and i was never too much of a fan of a lot of halfstep dubstep where it seemed like most of the effort had been put into the engineering and mixing over the ideas in the track.

SecondLine

i suppose its the line between refined and... clinical?

thing is, if it's executed 'too well' then it's by definition not executed well enough..if it was executed well then you'd like it. Bit of a linguistic paradox there for ya

but I get what you mean, production values too pristine or something