gostwan

Dunno if this the correct place to post what is essentially spam, but fuck it, I'm well exited for this release........

DISTAL - ANDROID TOURIST E.P 12'' & DIGITAL Release date 23rd May (ELIM009) IN ALL GOOD UNDERGROUND STORES
A.Android Tourism
AA. Love a la Venturo
B. Africa to Mars
B.B. Novocaine Blonde

High grade funk from the cosmos, channeled via Atlanta resident Distal.
Distal brings more of his trademark melting-pot aesthetic to his first full EP 12" for Fortified Audio. Squeezing the last 20 years of underground club music through his unique filter for "Android Tourism", fusing together the percussion of classic Carl Craig/ Derrick May, the dark bass and lush melodies of Blue Note era Metalheadz and the tight production of Artwork with the energy and freshness of new hybrid genres ala UK Funky and Footwork. Although Distal's productions are at their best when played through a serious soundsystem, little is lost in the transition to home speaker system or headphones, and the nature of Distal's music make it more than just fodder for the dancehall. Nonetheless, you'll sure-as-shit be hearing this behemoth EP at parties across the globe when it drops this spring. Indeed with a whole heap of 12"s set to drop this year, we are pretty confident Distal is going to be all up in everyones grill by 2012.

http://soundcloud.com/gostwan-fortified/distal-androidtourism-ep-elim009-preview

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
hyph mngo is a quite wonderful filtered 90s house record in a 140bpm '00s context. I love it to the bone but what makes it good is also what made 90s french & chicago house fun, that warm rising filtery feeling. so if it changed your life as a producer you probably hadn't been listening to much house in the last 15 years.

Tempted to make a 'filtered house' thread just so I can get some recommendations.

This is my recommendation:

I heart this shit.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
so this paragraph aside

The case for the defense begins simply-- stuff your preconceptions. No, it isn't one whole genre, but so what? The music being made by these acts in 2011 is amazing-- as good or better than many of the genres it shares borders with. From Girl Unit's "Wut" to Kode9's "Love Is the Drug" via Mickey Pearce's refix of Redlight, Teeth's "Shawty" to Ms Dynamite and Dark Sky's refix of Nelly Furtado and Timbaland. Joy Orbison's new dub "Ellipsis" loops the phrase "we just used to like... do our own thing," evoking memories of simpler, carefree times before a set of rave-esque pianos complete the audio nostalgia. It's as if to say, "Let's not over think this one, just come with us." Because the ability to mix coherently between the best of UK funky, house, grime, juke, kwaito, jungle, and electro while still nominally looking like bass-led rude pirate house is a wonderfully rare moment of creativity and freedom-- the kind of freedom people find in the most fruitful-but-fleeting moments of great genres. Put in simple, indivisible terms: this stuff is really, really fun right now.

didn't you write the same article, naming the same people last year?

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
Mr Blackdown, i'll upload some of my 'latinuum' tracks to soundcloud soon so you can start listening to something new

:cool:

Ory

warp drive
@ blackdown

So who's right? Unsatisfyingly, both camps have a strong case, but I'd strongly urge anyone to avoid writing this entire space off on ideological grounds unless you've first listened and danced to some of its finest proponents. Preferably somewhere quite loud.

(linking to the kode9 EM)

half of that mix, indeed the better half, is rude scenius stuff by funkystepz, ill blu, champion, HHB, spooky, rashad, spinn, dj naughty, mad one, DOK etc. hardly a good example of the stuff you're talking about in the article.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
@ blackdown

half of that mix, indeed the better half, is rude scenius stuff by funkystepz, ill blu, champion, HHB, spooky, rashad, spinn, dj naughty, mad one, DOK etc. hardly a good example of the stuff you're talking about in the article.

yes frustratingly it linked to a oneman mix and that kode one, but pfork took it out...

wise

bare BARE BONES
@ Blackdown

Don't take this the wrong way but I do wonder how much your view of this stuff is coloured by the fact that you now have a Rinse show and i'm guessing pretty regular DJ bookings to fill.
You need this scene to be as good as you think it is becaues you're in the middle of it rather than an a passionate observer as you were when I started reading your blog.
Not to say that you weren't involved in the scene then, but you weren't getting paid out of it, or contributing musically at that point.
I'm not hating here, honest.

Shame pitchfork took out the Oneman link cos yeah the Kode 9 link fairly contradicts your article.
The reason Kode 9's sets are so good is that he plays enough proper grime & funky that he can do the eclectic thing and still sound properly ruff.
Oneman is a much better standard bearer for your argument

Blackdown

nexKeysound
@ Blackdown

Don't take this the wrong way but I do wonder how much your view of this stuff is coloured by the fact that you now have a Rinse show and i'm guessing pretty regular DJ bookings to fill.
You need this scene to be as good as you think it is becaues you're in the middle of it rather than an a passionate observer as you were when I started reading your blog.
Not to say that you weren't involved in the scene then, but you weren't getting paid out of it, or contributing musically at that point.
I'm not hating here, honest.

Shame pitchfork took out the Oneman link cos yeah the Kode 9 link fairly contradicts your article.
The reason Kode 9's sets are so good is that he plays enough proper grime & funky that he can do the eclectic thing and still sound properly ruff.
Oneman is a much better standard bearer for your argument

totally agree about the 9 set, it's bugging me and i've asked for it to be re-instated.

dunno about bookings tbh, we dont even remotely make a living out of DJing and we dont have an agent so they're ad hoc, we currently have one booking for 2011, the LV & Josh album launch party, which i helped put together.

but i accept your premise (ish), can you elaborate how the piece should be less coloured? am all ears :)

the oneman set is here: http://podcast.dgen.net/rinsefm/podcast/Oneman240411.mp3

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
but i accept your premise (ish), can you elaborate how the piece should be less coloured? am all ears :)
To carry on the theme of this thread being as much about writing about music as it is about music, imho your writing is at its best and most convincing when it looks at the general through the lense of the particular. Writing an overview piece about how there's lots of great stuff out there seems to fall into the same homogenizing and generalizing trap as the overview pieces about how there's lots of boring stuff out there. As well as inviting snorts of "yeah, but he would say that wouldn't he?"

I'd say that good in depth pieces about individual artists, DJs, nights, tunes, labels etc that bring out both the continuities and individualities make a more interesting and effective defence of (the good bits of) the post dubstep mishmash than 'state of the nation' articles, as well as reading a lot better. They just bring out a lot more of the passion and commitment, as well as having more capacity to be thought provoking or challenging.