Leo

i gave up on this thread a few weeks ago, glad i checked back in. let the chin stroking continue.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
freeway21.jpg

Think we've found the name for this music.

Beard.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Not sure if this is on topic but from that Blawan interview

I think some people utilise the internet a bit too much. Some people write a track and as soon as they’ve rendered it off they’ll upload it to Soundcloud and expect people to comment on it and all that bollox and it’s a complete ego trip.

.. everyone just wants fresh all the time. Just let things breathe a bit. Its too fast, way too fast. This is partly the problem I think with like sales and music now. Some labels, I’m obviously not gonna mention any names, but they’re putting releases out every two weeks. You don’t need to be doing this, people are still going to be buying your records. Just pick the best out of them. Don’t just release a 12” every two weeks and expect people to still be buying it, cos its not fair on the people buying it and its not fair on the artist either.

And that old Reynolds Garage piece

What's exciting about [...] the tunes that have surfaced in the last year is that the music often sounds like a hybrid where the grafts haven't wholly congealed. Sometimes, it sounds "wrong", but only in the way that 1993 darkcore sounded not-quite-there-yet. If you want seamless, fully-realised fusion, listen to drum & bass, a style that has arrived at a definitive version of itself and accordingly spent the last two years scratching its head wondering where to go next.

Needless to say, as with any in-vogue style, there's a lot of crap 2-step around, shoddy stabs at opulent production that only sound nouveau riche. It's also crucial to emphasise that 2-step does not have a monopoly on creativity in the UK garage scene. Its vital balance (auteurism vs. will-of-the-crowd, digitized drug-noise vs. live musicality, futurism vs. tradition, tracks vs. songs) [28] and oxymoronic mood-blend (light 'n' dark, feminine 'n' masculine, treble 'n'bass) recalls the glory days of hardcore and jungle. If 2-step can manage to marshal all its competing impulses and sundry sources within the same space, maintaining them in productive friction without causing the style/scene to split off into factions like jungle did,

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I tend to think my hair colour isn't right for the kind of beard I'd ideally like to pull off (or keep on - the surface of my face - to be more accurate) - if I had black hair I could get one of those whispy, not-quite-the-stubble-of-a-drunkard, not-quite-the-beard-of-a-future-garage-producer beards which sit like cotton clouds on the chiseled chin horizons of the obnoxiously attractive.

My beard goes ginger when it gets long, as opposed to my penis, which turns a violent shade of purple.

Oh and uhhh James Blake eh? Overrated or what?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
women find them irresistable and it makes men respect you. also it give you an insight into what its like to be a girl. cos girls are always staring at each othr sizing each othr up and when you got a beard you cant help looking at other peoples like, 'ha, what a shit beard' and then you feel a bit better about yourself.

I hope this doesn't make you feel too uncomfortable but I have a kind of prose/man-crush on you and I want to nest in your beard like a starling.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
p.s. would be quite funny/fitting if this thread became an eclectic hodgepodge of various topics from other, more concentrated and original threads.

well, it would be funny for the kind of twat that I am, at least.

Benny Bunter

Yeah why do all these producers insist on putting that horrible octave effect on the vocals they sample? cf. those James Blake harmonimixes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually I think gumdrops might be right in arguing that the vocal on it sounds slapped on - perhaps thats why I find it quite irritating, because there's little/no harmonic anchor for it?

Mentioned a few pages back but I sometimes think the dominant/unifying factor in a lot of this post-dubstep music is mood rather than rhythm/sound. Its very rarely joyful, and much of it has this melancholy strain in it ala. Burial (RNB samples are often pitched down, the melancholic aspect in the original - if it exists at all- drawn out very strongly... or alternatively they're put through the pitch-ringer so they sound 'alien' or, if you will, 'wonky'). [seinfeld]Not that there's anything wrong with that![/seinfeld] It can be a very powerful effect. I used to love that kind of thing in jungle, for example... But sometimes it can make the use of RNB samples seem like a perfunctory grab for 'sexiness' or something, when the instrumental remains sub-bass heavy, rhythmically fundamentally churning/grinding...

Anyway, sorry for derailing. Back to beards.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
yeah pacino is lucky cos his beard seems to stop just above the jawline. its very well kept. my beard is still in that early sort of 'newly homeless' stage. but ive got a nice electric razor with diff gradients now so will be putting it to use in the next few days.

this is the type of travesty im talking about:
http://rinse.fm/2011/05/lee-mortimer-guesting-on-rinse/

I've got one of those fancyish razors. Can they be used to create a masterwork-beard? I need to take night classes in facial hair maintenance.

gumdrops

james blake is someone who i would imagine would def get a beard for that sort of grizzled indie living in a log cabin a la bon iver sort of cred. the thing about the beard tom lea was saying is sort of right, but the number of ppl with beards is def a lot larger in this scene than in the funky, grime or even dubstep scenes combined. forget the beard thing though, a lot of this stuff does really feel like dance music for indie kids (this doesnt necessarily mean however that kaiser chiefs and arctic monkey fans are turning up to fwd). its that whole indie aesthetic aligned perfectly with dance. strange. but not surprising. indie is being used everywhere. doesnt matter if theyve never even been into the music, they dont have to have been. soon, youre gonna get ramadanman and martin kemp doing soundtracks for fucking wes anderson. or that overrated twat from the it crowd who directed submarine lol.

much of it has this melancholy strain in it.

it does but a lot of the time it just feels almost put-on. like its there for the sake of being there, not cos it really is felt. at least thats how i felt at times while listening to that swamp 81 show on rinse the other night (though the mc was a bit like listening to lee nelson from bbc3). some of the tracks were interesting tho, if a bit one note.

actually the thing i thought while listening to the swamp set was that even tho it was a bit limited, i liked that it all at least had a unified sound to it all. yeah i know 'theres so much great and different music coming out now!' but it might be cool to have more djs have their own sound, like how loefah does. (i would say only playing your own beats is cheating)

obv this might also lead to boring sets.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know what you mean... What are the indie elements that you hear in the music, though? It's obvious with James Blake cos he sings like an indie singer.

I want concrete examples and basalite instances.

Benny Bunter

I'm using the James Blake example again, but a lot of his stuff sounds like when Radiohead does electronic/glitchy stuff. Its the sort of flimsy beats that indie kids who turn electronic tend to make. This would all be fine but this stuff gets talked up as dancefloor music, where it just doesn't cut the mustard.

And the 4x4 stuff like that Blawan tune just sounds laughably polite compared to practically any good 4x4 funky track, or going back further a 1997 era Speed garage track for example. Like any given Tuff Jam banger would just eat it alive.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm using the James Blake example again, but a lot of his stuff sounds like when Radiohead does electronic/glitchy stuff. Its the sort of flimsy beats that indie kids who turn electronic tend to make. This would all be fine but this stuff gets talked up as dancefloor music, where it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Again, I'm interested to know why the beats seem flimsy - the way they're engineered? The sounds that are used? Or a lack of understanding of syncopation/groove?

woodysnipes_468x619.jpg

Just replace the ball in this pic with an MPC.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I like 'Getting me down'. It's a big tune. Overhyped, but so are most things. I think the white label release and it selling out quickly have fuelled the hype a bit too.

We've just coming out of winter. Might need to take that into account with the beard situation. A few might be lost as we approach the summer.