alex

Do not read this.
<object height="136" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...lex-deamonds/sets/its-all-about-1-promo-mix-1"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="136" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...lex-deamonds/sets/its-all-about-1-promo-mix-1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">It's All About #1 Promo Mix</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/alex-deamonds">Alex Deamonds</a></span>

Just did a promo mix for our 1st night

1. Shakedown - At Night - Martin Buttrich Dub Mix
2. Andrea Oliva - 9 Seconds With Jazz
3. Chris Lattner - Sick
4. Tini - That's Right
5. Thodoris Triantafillou & CJ Jeff - Got To Be
6. Deep Teknologi - In The Deep
7. Tim Green - Lone Time
8. Palmez - Black B - David Jones Remix
9. Marlon D - Trust The Drum
10. Kris Wadsworth - Direct
11. Dj T - Try To Understand
12. Chocolate Puma Beats - Soul Mokassa
13. L-Vis 1990 - United Groove - Kingdom Remix
14. Jam City - What I Think About You
15. Scratcha DVA - Natty
16. Johnny D - Point Of No Return

Tim F

Given this is the same sound being used, the only way you can and would draw these boundaries is on cultural means. now i'm not against that, in fact i think it's crucial for how we understand the forces that drive scenes, but i think you cant pretend you're not using them.

Martin on one level this is absolutely correct - as I said earlier, we tend to apply "frames" to music that "hears" what the music is doing on a strictly sonic level in different ways depending on our assumptions about the artist and their intentions.

BUT my experience is that almost all of the stuff that would fit this thread - with the exception of "Wad" and the Bok Bok/L-Vis 1990 remix of "Bongo Jam" - really does sound quite distinct from funky. Your hypothesis remains correct, but in my experience it's simply not correct to say that by and large "the same sounds" are being used such that the only boundaries are cultural - with the odd track-by-track exception.

Certainly my perceptions are heavily coloured by the fact that funky DJs also actually play "Wad" and the "Bongo Jam" remix. But I've never heard a Martin Kemp or Brackles track (even when played by say Roska or Cooly G) and just assumed that it was a funky track only to change my mind when I found out who it was by (nb. I've really liked tracks I've heard from both, so this isn't a quality issue). Whereas "Wad" I totally thought of, and still think of, as a funky tune. Hypothetically, both producers could drift even closer to funky on a sonic level, such that their music became indistinguishable from that of funky producers, while still operating outside the scene in the sense of not being picked up on by funky DJs. And if that was to occur, your point would be spot on. But as a question of fact I don't think this has occurred (then again maybe I've not heard the Brackles/Kemp tracks you have...).

I guess the sonic question "is this funky" and the social question "is this funky" really do converge at the point of referring to what funky DJs play. UK Funky is certainly a particularly malleable genre, but that doesn't mean that its sonic borders are arbitrary - if the scene as a whole goes in a particular direction (towards Brackles, say), well, that's what it does, and the sonic definition changes accordingly. But if you convinced Marcus to start playing X producer that doesn't make that producer funky-by-acclamation. There's an intuitive interrelatedness to the music played that makes certain tunes candidates for repatriation within its borders at any given point in time, though what is necessary for such candidature changes over time as well.

And this applies to outsiders in every direction. "Badman Riddim" is honorary funky but a lot of Vato Gonzales tunes aren't and couldn't be. "Klambu" is but "Riverside" isn't and couldn't be (similarities notwithstanding) . Dennis Ferrer's "Hey Hey" is but his "Sinfonia Della Notta" (think this is how it's spelt) isn't and couldn't be. That might all change tomorrow (and certainly "Badman Riddim" and "Klambu" wouldn't have been candidates three years ago) - there's nothing fixed or determined about funky's sonic or social borders. But right now I can make a contingent and provisional judgment on the former as much as you can the latter.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Fabric actually calling the CD Elevator Music is either a really clever move or a really silly one, haven't decided yet...
Does the TRG ep have Siberian Poker on it? Was really feeling that one when I heard it on Blackdown's show a while back. Would be interested to try mixing it in a funky set and see if it works.
Also, does anyone want to explain to me what 'crack house' is about? (Or is just one of those in-joke names?)

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
It does have Siberian Poker, that ones at 140bpm though as far as I recall.

I'm not sure about crack house either, does anyone make it apart from Zinc?

Crack house just seems to be Zinc's take on that wacky-midrange fidget sound (Crookers, Fake Blood, Sinden, Switch etc) good party music but diminishing returns.. his own productions have a bit more garage swing than most in that scene, aggy midrange with soca/funky percussion, rave stabs, piano house breakdowns etc.. DnB producer Clipz is doing similar stuff under the name Redlight. I remember Jackmaster dropping this at Numbers on NYE and it went aff (well i think it did... i did) but after 3 more listens i'm bored
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

p.s Wile Out is brilliant

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
jackmaster says it's all about uk hunky now.. :) intrigued to find out what this means. hold tight the weegies winning the genre-naming war AGAIN (cf w*nky vs aquacrunk)

i'm tryna get some traction for nosebleed house.. i'll explain that another time

wise

bare BARE BONES
Crack house just seems to be Zinc's take on that wacky-midrange fidget sound (Crookers, Fake Blood, Sinden, Switch etc) good party music but diminishing returns..

This sums it up far better than I could be bothered too

Blackdown

nexKeysound
there's less actual 2step on this thread than 4x4 house, sadly. i'd recommend Kowton "Stasis (gmix)" and Grievous Angel "Soundclash VIP" but then i am completely and utterly biased about those... ;)

hucks

Your Message Here
Crack house just seems to be Zinc's take on that wacky-midrange fidget sound .....

p.s Wile Out is brilliant

Is Wile Out an exception to the crack house rule or not crack house? Because it is fucking excellent...

Benny Bunter

Wile out is definitely the best track Zinc's put out recently, didn't think much of the crack house ep. 128 trek was so pointless, literally all he seems to have done is slow the tempo down.

jimitheexploder

This sound really does it for me.

Brakles & Shortstuff going back to back at the Sonic Router party last weekend was a real treat. Hyetal even came out to replace an injured Jack Sparrow at the last minuet. Then to throw a massive curve ball Gemmy played loads of UK Funky, that might have been the result of technical dificulties though haha.

How about throwing FaltyDL and Pariah into the mix? They have something else going on, the garage shuffle is there but they also have this dense, soulful almost hip-hop thing going on. Its slow and ghostly not unlike Burial and Flying Lotus I guess.

I like the ecclectic nature of the music and DJs in this thread too, I mean I love hearing stright up grime sets and stright up dubstep and funky sets but when a good DJ brings that all together you can get some really interesting stuff going. They have to be good though or it turns into a mashup rather than a DJ set and it starts falling apart. You can get DJs like Oneman, Brakles, Shorstuff, Ben UFO, Ramadanman, Braiden playing sets that span 120 maybe slower... thru to d'n'b via the 140 stuff and making it sound good, I've got to celibrate that as its kind of rare in dance music.