bun-u

Trumpet Police
I fail to get very excited turgid revivalist garage made by posh boys (the type who hated it first time around)

grizzleb

That Roska track sounds great but very un-Roska. Got that kind of blue 2562 keys thing going on. Look forward to his album, should be a nice variety if that's anything to go by.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Is Roska not classed as Funky now?
Is this because he's too successful and non Funky DJs play his tracks?

spooks

Militant black tie
Is Roska not classed as Funky now?
Is this because he's too successful and non Funky DJs play his tracks?

I didn't class him as anything mayne! Anyway what would you call that I Need Love tune if you wanted to genrify it?

wise

bare BARE BONES
I just thought it was strange that you didn't post it in the funky thread, I don't really care for all these tiny sub genre distinctions.
Thanks for the tune tho it's good

grizzleb

That tune isn't really dubstep is it. Just funkyish style. Reckon it's quality, nice jacking beat.

wise

bare BARE BONES
I fail to get very excited turgid revivalist garage made by posh boys (the type who hated it first time around)

Yeah, I hated it when that posh boy Photek started making all those awful jungle records, shocking

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Finally! Bassjacker's & Apster "Klambu" - I've been trying to find out the name of this track for months now.

gumdrops

PS: Every proposed genre name in this topic title is ridiculous. In the worst way possible.

and there i was hoping intelli 2 step would be a whole new reviews page in dj magazine. :rolleyes:

as for posh boys, well its a pretty lucrative (relatively speaking) audience isnt it. not really surprising rinse wants to get some of that lot on board/'join the dots' etc. but its all basically just an outgrowth of dubstep. this stuff is kindaaaaaaa like to funky what dubstep was to grime (so majority black artists/audience for funky, majority white artists/audience for whatever this stuff is), even down to people like oneman saying he sees it as the 'deeper' flip to everything else thats going on. and the 2 steppier future garage stuff IS basically like prog garage or something isnt it? i do like a fair bit of it when i hear it but its usual sort of thing when mainly white artists find an old black music genre (dont get me wrong i think they are doing something a bit diff with it and i prefer that they are but, nonetheless...), and then everyone seems to think its superior to the previous version (not everyone of course, plenty dont and are prob just made more open to old 2step cos of these guys, but i bet a fair amount of the audience for it think like that) made and endorsed mainly by a black audience.

anyway, do like that new joy orb track with the film sample about work that oneman played the other week. prob wouldnt have remembered it if it wasnt for that sample, but it was quite nice. interesting sample too.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
and there i was hoping intelli 2 step would be a whole new reviews page in dj magazine. :rolleyes:

as for posh boys, well its a pretty lucrative (relatively speaking) audience isnt it. not really surprising rinse wants to get some of that lot on board/'join the dots' etc. but its all basically just an outgrowth of dubstep. this stuff is kindaaaaaaa like to funky what dubstep was to grime (so majority black artists/audience for funky, majority white artists/audience for whatever this stuff is), even down to people like oneman saying he sees it as the 'deeper' flip to everything else thats going on. and the 2 steppier future garage stuff IS basically like prog garage or something isnt it? i do like a fair bit of it when i hear it but its usual sort of thing when mainly white artists find an old black music genre (dont get me wrong i think they are doing something a bit diff with it and i prefer that they are but, nonetheless...), and then everyone seems to think its superior to the previous version (not everyone of course, plenty dont and are prob just made more open to old 2step cos of these guys, but i bet a fair amount of the audience for it think like that) made and endorsed mainly by a black audience.

anyway, do like that new joy orb track with the film sample about work that oneman played the other week. prob wouldnt have remembered it if it wasnt for that sample, but it was quite nice. interesting sample too.

how much of this rubbish do you actually believe?

going back to 2 step is kinda problematic, cos its a bit like acid jazz, cos it could be that it's only a certain side of 2-step that gets fetishised to an extent, the beat science without the pop element, without the audience too on the whole, the things that made it actually exciting, it's working in a vaccum, cos garage's time is over and these kinda things never really work out right, they're always problematic, a sign of retreat, also a way to signify roots, locale, authenticity, something that's both extremely boring, doesn't allow people to come into a genre at anytime without seeing it as a threat and unreachable and also inconsistent.

I guess it's also cos dubstep kinda fucked up on the rhythm side of things, didn't really deliver on it's promise of being a post garage genre on the whole, so some people are quitting while they're ahead and trying to make a version of garage again.

All these genre names are really really dreadful, things are being spliced so much nowdays a genre might consist of 3 records that only 2,000 people have.

Last edited:

Tim F

I'd say there's probably an audience for this stuff who were oblivious of 2-step b/c of being too young or into entirely different things at the time - but I'd be surprised if people like this who hated 2-step.

Although that's partly because being in Australia I barely knew anyone who was aware of 2-step, so it wasn't the kind of thing anything hated as such.

Was surprised, though, to discover from blackdown's blog that Whistla kinda dislikes uk funky and despises So Solid Crew et. al. I guess it explains why he does what he does though.

mms

sometimes
Was surprised, though, to discover from blackdown's blog that Whistla kinda dislikes uk funky and despises So Solid Crew et. al. I guess it explains why he does what he does though.

It seems very odd to dislike funky, i haven't read it but what were his reasons?

Alot of people hated uk garage, esp if they'd come from drum and bass etc, pr didn't like dance music and esp as unlike drum and bass etc, it was ubiquitous in clubs and bars in and around london, signified bling to alot of people etc.

Last edited:

Tim F

B: The elephant in the future garage room for me is that you can very effectively argue that UK funky is future garage, or certainly UKG mark II. For me any move to revive garage ideas should do its best to work with the energy and ideas of the funky scene, as it has grass roots support in London and tons of momentum. But I sense you're not so keen, what's your feeling on if or how future garage and funky could interact?

W: Yeah your right, I'm very uncomfortable with UK Funky. I don't particularly like the idea of UKG pt2 and I can see the same patterns repeating already that happened back with UKG pt1, the dress codes, the mc's, the "cheesey crossovers", except that its all happened in a year and a half, rather than over 5 yrs. I do however really like the fact that there is UK Funky, as it "leaves us alone" to build our thing without "scensters" trying to jump on it. I guess if pushed to make UK Funky and future garage interact I would have UK Funky in one room and future garage in another. Thats how I would envision it.

I personally dont hear UK funky as being very "garagey." I dont often hear the "swing" and even less "the shuffle", plus tropical beats and soca patterns have never really been my thing. Most UK funky I've ever heard has been either very housey or too broken beat for my taste. I actually hear a stronger Acid House era influence to a lot of UK Funky than a garage one. Future Garage has that indescribable something that I want from tunes, funky hasn't given me that. And trying to "cash in" on the success of another scene also seems slightly wrong, I'd rather future garage do its own thing, on its own terms.

Full interview for context: http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2009/11/wot-do-u-call-it-future-garage.html

Tim F

NB. I'm not having a go at Whistla - it's good that he has an honest and worked out idea of what he likes, even if I feel very differently obv.

It's interesting too b/c funky kinda revives basically everything about uk garage EXCEPT its specific beat matrix. Whereas "future garage" seems in large part to be about situating the uk garage beat matrix in different/new musical contexts.

So it's like the two scenes split uk garage's lessons between them.

gumdrops

how much of this rubbish do you actually believe?

what part of what i said do you ever so politely find fault with exactly? if you read various posts on dsf at any point in time you can usually read stuff that has a somewhat patronising attitude to overtly black scenes. its not exactly a great leap to think most people into future garage prob didnt like it back then, and prob still dont (though many will have changed their minds, as i said before).

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'd say there's probably an audience for this stuff who were oblivious of 2-step b/c of being too young or into entirely different things at the time - but I'd be surprised if people like this who hated 2-step.

of course the people making this stuff were too young to be into garage at the time, my cheeky 'posh boy' comment was more about how the landscape for garage-related music has shifted wholesale. I remember calling into this IDM-type shop on Old Street (forget it's name?) early last decade and overhead the owner boasting that when people call in and give him garage records, he went out the back and smashed them up. That kind of view of garage was pretty widespread amongst that electronic muso crowd and I guess it's just funny how everything has changed. Undoubtedly, IDM trumped by garage should be viewed as a triumph, until you realise its an IDM version of garage...all the interesting bits bleached out, stuff that really doesn't make you want to dance