Anthony "Shake" Shakir - "All we did was put a black face on it"

zhao

there are no accidents
whatever. i care about things that i care about, and i have my reasons. if you don't, feel free to read and post in other threads.

if you don't agree with what i say, we can have a conversation or even argument.

that's how these things work, and this place is called Dissensus, no?

zhao

there are no accidents
now please address the last post in the conversation or shut the fuck up.

fair point about the machines, massrock.

but if there is a single most direct precedent for Detroit Techno, more than any other style, it would be Chicago House.

and if you consider Techno as an extension of House (which was itself an extension of Disco)... if you consider Techno as the next phase in the continual process of abstracting, streamlining, and stripping down of 20th century American dance music, then it is not so difficult to see the cultural lineage.

Techno is House with the influence of Synth pop, of Belgian New-Beat, of YMO, etc. but no matter how electronic and mechanical it became, and no matter how much the process of reduction brought the music to its raw essence, it does not mean the cultural ties it has with its roots can be severed.

no matter how alien the forms have become, its "soul" remains intact.

D

droid

Zhao, I tried to reply to your PM but your inbox was full. I also emailed you at Optikom but it bounced back.

That comment was made in jest, not anger, and is obviously a joke in the context of the thread. If the thread hadn't been locked that would have been made even clearer.

To make one comment on this thread (not in anger of course). I have a lot of time for you - but this 'I'm-being-persecuted-for telling-unpleasant-truths-to-the-racist-Europeans' shtick is getting a bit old now IMHO.

Living in Berlin seems to have destroyed your sense of humour as well...

zhao

there are no accidents
that's alright droid. whether my sense of humor was exceptionally lapsing, or there was a certain amount of malice in your "joke", i'm not the kind to hold grudges. and you are of course free to think that i'm full of shit, if that is the case. no big deal. we all have different vantage points and all that.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
My comment you quoted was supposed to be "funny" too btw.
But yeah, your more pompous posts do tend to wear me down, esp if I'm already having a sub-par kind of day. I don't think that's quite the same as being angry at you. I'm still glad that you post here overall, but yeah, wouldn't mind if you got down off the pedestal a little more often. It's your call though, obv.

D

droid

that's alright droid. whether my sense of humor was exceptionally lapsing, or there was a certain amount of malice in your "joke", i'm not the kind to hold grudges. and you are of course free to think that i'm full of shit, if that is the case. no big deal. we all have different vantage points and all that.

There was no 'malice' Zhao. I was purely taking the piss. And the previous post was basically an invite to do so. There was some obvious irony there, but it wasn't meant to be serious. If anyone else had made that post in that context I would have done the same.

And yes, I think your sense of humour is long gone. You've become increasingly po-faced, indignant and inflexible in these discussions, tarring your 'opponents' with ill-considered generalisations and being just a tad irrational if you ask me.

And now, as you saw fit to call out names on this thread, its become another thread about you instead of the topic at hand.

The whole dynamic sucks TBH. Im sure you could find away to discuss these topics without it becoming a Zhao-against the-racist-euro-centric-world everytime. Eh? :p

zhao

there are no accidents
well it takes 2 (well in this case quite a few) to tango. it's the general antagonism which arise when i state something simple like the central cultural lineage of techno that pushes me to the defensive and po-faced position i find myself in. true the way i make these statements is sometimes stand-offish and confrontational, but if the gist of what i am saying is not entirely disagreeable, i'm not sure if my lack of diplomacy alone warrants such a negative reaction.

whatever. techno came from a lot of different styles. but more than others, it came from house-disco-funk-motown-soul-gospel-jazz... shit even i tire of this. (still the truth though)

D

droid

As you and everyone else here should know from the whole Padraig debacle, it aint just what you say - but how you say it.

zhao

there are no accidents
As you and everyone else here should know from the whole Padraig debacle, it aint just what you say - but how you say it.

ok i will concede, for the time being, that the lot of you may not be operating as much on a, conscious or otherwise, structurally eurocentric framework as i had previous alluded to. :p

D

droid

:D Good Man.

To the rest of you: Its working keep it up - and we'll soon be able to tell our masters in Brussels that another dangerous skeptic has been snared in our Eurocentric machinations... bwahahahaha

mms

sometimes
As if putting a black face on european electronic pop wasn't an incredible thing to do and a feat pullled off so well....
leave the beef at the fkin butchers.

zhao

there are no accidents
this is what i should have said about Shakir's statement 4 years ago:

A perfect example of individual artists not being immune from infection by dominant narratives, and reproducing oversimplified, reductionist and simply false claims made by the media about their own work/culture, perpetuating hegemonic positions of power.

read the previous pages of how people mock, yawn, poke fun and try to undermine -- cliche structural racism.

new thread where The Wire and David Toop continue to "poke at the dead cow"
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13309&p=307574&posted=1#post307574