Abbas Kiarostami

zhao

there are no accidents
said one of the best things about films ever:

there are 2 kinds of films (here i paraphrase):

1. the kind which ties you to the seat, forces your eyes open, and beats you up. and you are exhausted after. and

2. the kind which is kind of boring, during which you are almost napping, and fee refreshed afterward. but 3 years later you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it.

so i've just recently discovered a bunch of films that i didn't even know existed. Life and Nothing More, ABC Africa, The Traveler, etc. what's your favorite and should not be missed?

Last edited:
I saw Five last weekend for the first time, and loved it. Through the first two chapters I felt like it was really pushing its luck, but then I got drawn in - some of it's really funny, some of it's just beautiful. I guess it's a type 2. film.

pajbre

Recently:

*Peter Watkins' La Commune, six hours and worth every second

*Battle of Chile; made by a group of kids, apparently Chris Marker had film stock
smuggled to them in order to complete the second and third installments

*Who Needs a Heart... Criterion needs to invest the profits from some Wes Anderson bullshit
or whatever and do a proper Black Audio Film Collective box set.

zhao

there are no accidents
wow good recommendations. 6 hours sounds quite daunting though i must admit. these days it's a challenge to find a solid 2 hours for film appreciation... and when i do, half the time i fall asleep no matter how good the thing is (much to GF's consternation). will try to check it out though.

i don't know if anyone else does this: often when i'm at the video shop, i think i want easy entertainment so go for some rubbish fast food - but almost always end up not enjoying it. and when sometimes i build up courage to see something with a less seductive appearance and perhaps more "difficult", the experience is almost never taxing and i thoroughly love it.

zhao

there are no accidents
also glad this is turning into a Type 2 Films thread, and not just about Kiarostami.

anyone ever "see" or experience that experimental DVD/CD ROM project Chris Marker did on Memory?