mephedrone

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If Pulp Fiction had been made in England in 2010 instead of America in 1991:

UMA THURMAN: *snort*

UMA THURMAN: Aargh Jesus, it burns!

UMA THURMAN: What the fuck is this, you wanker? I thought it was coke!

JOHN TRAVOLTA: Oh yeah, sorry love, it's 'plant food', I forgot to mention.

.... + 5 mins ....

UMA THURMAN: Oh God I am so high right now. Gimme some more.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
UMA THURMAN: *snort*

UMA THURMAN: Aargh Jesus, it burns!

UMA THURMAN: What the fuck is this, you wanker? I thought it was coke!

JOHN TRAVOLTA: Oh yeah, sorry love, it's 'plant food', I forgot to mention.

.... + 5 mins ....

UMA THURMAN: Oh God I am so high right now. Gimme some more.

We've had that here for a long time...it's called bathtub crank.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
...it's called bathtub crank.

Gosh, drugs are so glamorous, aren't they?

I think that stuff is plain methcathinone - 'meph' is 4-methyl-methcathinone. Probably pretty similar. Fuck, I really should stop being such a pharma-trainspotter, it's can't be healthy. Maybe I should get into stamps or something.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
There's been a lot of coverage and subsequent outrage following those boys' deaths, but there hasn't been any explanation in the media regarding how the drug killed them. Has anyone seen anything explaining that side of things? I've never taken Mephedrone and don't really care much whether it's banned, criminalised or left with its current legal status, but this is just the same old sensationalist nonsense and of course the big three political parties are going to try and ride it all the way to the polls.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Apparently earlier reports noted that they'd taken mephedrone at night, then methadone the following morning to bring them down. If so it's likely the combination of alcohol, mephedrone and methadone was what killed them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wonder how many people died of boozing in the last month.

My thoughts exactly. Whenever someone dies from a combination of drugs (which I'm sure is much, much commoner that people OD'ing on a single drug), it's invariably the new drugs, especially new legal or grey-market drugs, that get the attention. Established illegal drugs come second and alcohol is hardly ever even mentioned, even though it's probably a contributing factor in many if not most 'drug' deaths.

PeteUM

It's all grist
Sounds like these guys were killed by the methadone/alcohol combo to me, not that we'll hear much about it from our trusty news sources.

muser

^seems like they first started saying methadone and alcohol (pretty lethal I think) then possibly mephedrone and lots of alcohol followed by methadone (still lethal). Now just read in the metro today 2 people killed by mepehdrone with no mention of anything else :rolleyes:. Not going to be long before this substance gets banned, probably a good thing in a way considering how irresponsible these chem dealers are and the age (and complete ignorance) of the majority of people that are buying it.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, it's fun but pretty vacuous really - ecstasy's dumb, loud kid brother. Still, value for money for a party or a night out.

As far as I can see, it never really had any particular youth subculture associations beyond general run-of-the-mill 21st century hedonism. Though having said that, I can see it fitting nu-rave like a glove: a cheap, disposable knock-off of ecstasy for a cheap, disposable knock-off of original acid/rave culture.

[wow, who knew I was a cheap, disposable knock-off of Simon Reynolds? :slanted:]

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
It's actually difficult to overdose on stimulants unless you inject them.

The most common culprits in ODs are invariably CNS depressants (alcohol, opiates) and benzodiazepines, which when mixed kill a large percentage of those who don't have a high tolerance for them and even quite a lot of people who do.

Entactogens sure are popular in the U.K.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I don't think I believe that two kids story at all, the interview with the parents doesn't ring true to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8571935.stm

I guess that's cynical of me. But whatever.

In the interests of research for Dissensus, I went out and did some testing and it's rubbish, stupid functional soma drug. Fine, but whatever.

Someone told me it was more addictive than crack though which made me like it more. I didn't believe them but it was a nice thought.

grizzleb

My thoughts exactly. Whenever someone dies from a combination of drugs (which I'm sure is much, much commoner that people OD'ing on a single drug), it's invariably the new drugs, especially new legal or grey-market drugs, that get the attention. Established illegal drugs come second and alcohol is hardly ever even mentioned, even though it's probably a contributing factor in many if not most 'drug' deaths.

Alcohol kills 100 peeps a day according to some boy on ITV news. So there ya go.