Vinyl Records Maintenance

Client Eastwood

Maybe all record collectors should wear leather soled shoes to avoid static but take care not to slip and fall in the rain breaking that rare DMZ.

I like the last line of the Wired article

"Likewise, new nano materials will be developed to mix in with the vinyl to strengthen it against warps"

nomos

Administrator
good earthing, I guess.

And not wearing nylon shell suits.

I know this will come as a blow to you, Nomos. :p
Hmmmm, a physicist and a comedian all rolled into one :p Tell me, will static still be a problem if I switch to velour?

petergunn

plywood violin
AFAIK, washing up liquid is the way to go. Think it was waxpoetics and some crate digger who first put me on to it. I know people who swear by it:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=washi...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Warped records - stick em in the oven between two sheets of glass 12-15 minutes at about 120F:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Warpe...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

warm water and washing up liquid has worked for me... rinse off w/ regular water, then wipe with the grooves with a soft hankerchief... then leave to dry on a towel...

also, i have heard the mixed reviews involving rubbing alcohol... some do say it will evenetually eat away at the vinyl... i have used a mixture of half rubbing alcohol and half distilled water w/ success and have not noticed any problems... distilled water is used, b/c tap water depending on the location has stuff in it (minerals?) that is not great for vinyl...

also, no one has asked, but to remove price stickers zippo lighter fluid is the jam... i have removed 40 year old "39 cents SALE!" stickers like magic...

DannyL

Wild Horses
I've done this - the glue thing. I used woodglue. It does work well, but you have to be careful and let it dry fully. I attached a couple of paper tabs to make the peeling off easier.

nomos

Administrator
OK, here's a different one...

Can I use a regular alcohol-based cleaner on a dubplate? Will it eat away the acetate?

bobbin

What
for what it's worth, i think every record of any value that's passed through music and video exchange shops (in a dirty state or often just for the sake of it) has been cleaned with normal lighter fluid from the newsagent and one of those yellow fuzzy duster cloths.

it does evaporate really quickly so maybe it's unlikely to do damage?

it is indeed also good for removing stickers from covers. the best way is to lay something thin, bendy and plastic on top (think cheap cdr case thingies) give it a rub through the plastic and leave it a minute.

glue though! really?

DannyL

Wild Horses
yeah, needs to be PVA woodglue, the sort you can peel back easily. I've still found that several times when I've done this, there's a few gluey threads left in the grooves but I haven't done any damage yet, thank God. Defintely gets them a lot cleaner as well.

bobbin

What
yeah, needs to be PVA woodglue, the sort you can peel back easily. I've still found that several times when I've done this, there's a few gluey threads left in the grooves but I haven't done any damage yet, thank God. Defintely gets them a lot cleaner as well.

hmm, guess i can see the idea with pva, makes me think of peeling it off your fingers at school! will buy some next time i go past a shop and see if it can help my beer-soaked paperclip people record.