Hurt Locker, straight up racist movie

polystyle

Authorial intension is relevant in evaluating artworks in what sense?

Do you also ask defenders of the movie to make one before they defend it?

1. Hmmm, yes the author's view is what one paid for, spent time on.
Ppl familiar with Bigelow's work can guess what they are going to get and go see it.

2. No - I suggest 'evaluators' make their own content instead of getting all armchair about things.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
you are joking , right ?
that's what's precieved as 'darkside' and worth sampling ?

he was talking about darkside jungle, which was infamous for sampling bits of dialogue from Terminator, Blade Runner, Predator, etc. there was definitely a kind of cartoonish element to the "darkside" vibes as well. like that Remarc tune that used the Cape Fear theme. not that I think this sample would've been the best, mind, but I could see some bedroom junglist cutting out the Vietnam-specific parts & just having something like "I want to meet interesting people...and kill them" which is right in that kinda campy, black humor darkside wheelhouse.

gumdrops

yeah i know what he meant. as long as the last bit about wanting to kill them was taken off, it could be ok.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It would sit well in some early '90s industrial tune, but then virtually any industrial after about 1985 is corny as hell by definition...you can certainly enjoy cheesy horror/war/sci-fi samples in a 'cartoonishly evil' way, for sure.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I thought even stodgy Marxists these days were past lumping all Americans into a vat of hyperexaggerated cliches, but maybe not.

Don't hold your breath.

Haven't you heard? All Americans are idiotic consumer zombies who don't have thoughts and know nothing about politics or the dread neo-liberalism. Especially American women.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that every American in this country is responsible for the garbage that Hollywood spews forth. Somehow. We're all involved in the making of crap films, apparently.

Also, we all supported the war.

Last edited:

gumdrops

All Americans are idiotic consumer zombies who don't have thoughts and know nothing about politics or the dread neo-liberalism. Especially American women.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that every American in this country is responsible for the garbage that Hollywood spews forth. Somehow. We're all involved in the making of crap films, apparently.

i respect your honesty.

3 Body No Problem

I thought even stodgy Marxists these days were past lumping all Americans into a vat of hyperexaggerated cliches, but maybe not.

Do you deny or confirm that the war is paid for by the American tax payer, i.e. essentiall every American adult?

Do you deny or confirm that in the 2004 US presidential election, the overwhelming majority of the electorate either voted for a pro-war candidate (Bush, Kerry) or abstained from the vote (which is a "I don't care about the war" vote)?

Haven't you heard? All Americans are idiotic consumer zombies who don't have thoughts and know nothing about politics or the dread neo-liberalism. Especially American women.Oh yeah, and don't forget that every American in this country is responsible for the garbage that Hollywood spews forth. Somehow. We're all involved in the making of crap films, apparently.

Nobody has claimed any of this in this thread.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Do you deny or confirm that the war is paid for by the American tax payer, i.e. essentiall every American adult?

just tbc - are you encouraging people to risk going to jail or losing their homes for refusing to pay war taxes (I've actually known a couple people - Quakers - who did just that, tho it's clearly not an option for most people)? more to the point, are you saying that anyone who doesn't refuse to pay their taxes cannot be against the war? because that sounds like a rather specious argument to me. also - did -you- make a point of not paying your war taxes, or any other taxes you find unpleasant (if you pay taxes at all, I guess)? or did you just pay them like most everyone else?

Do you deny or confirm that in the 2004 US presidential election, the overwhelming majority of the electorate either voted for a pro-war candidate (Bush, Kerry) or abstained from the vote (which is a "I don't care about the war" vote)?

and what do you suggest they should have done instead? storm the White House & implement a glorious dictatorship of the proletariat? back Ralph Nader? some kind of happy medium between the two? really, let's hear your brilliant ideas. (I'm in the third category, btw, and mine was very much not an "I don't care about the war" vote)

also, whatever you make of the decision to go to war - undoubtedly, it was a bad one - once you break something, you have a responsibility to stick around & try to implement some kind of functioning society. in fact, say what you will about American imperialism - & there's plenty that could be said - it's kinda amazing that Iraq is functional enough to hold reasonably open elections that - it seems - will lead to a nonviolent transfer of power between regimes. I won't say it's better than it was before the invasion (though that's v. likely true, between Saddam & the sanctions), but it's leaps & bounds better than it would've been had the U.S. withdrawn in 2004. I don't believe you or anybody else seriously thinks otherwise; mind, I'm not giving all the credit for that to Americans, but a large share, definitely.

oh, come off it. seriously.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag

Oh for fuck's sake. I cheat like crazy on my taxes. The gov always pays ME money, I never pay in anything, or if I do, I make sure I get it back. I am basically an expert at tax fraud. I learned from the pros. A good portion of my income was/has been "under the table" anyway.

But the people who *did* pay their taxes didn't necessarily pay them because they were pro-war...that's just ludicrous. I suppose you paid your taxes, despite the fact that several countries within the EU pitched in troops for the war effort?

Oh, and Bush STOLE THE GODDAMMNED ELECTION, in case you didn't hear. He used his Florida connections to cheat his way into office the first time, and the second time, the opposing candidate was total shit and stood no chance of winning.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, and Bush STOLE THE GODDAMMNED ELECTION, in case you didn't hear.

It's great, isn't it, how the election of Bush Jnr. can be used as a stick to beat America from any possible angle. You can either point out the massive electoral fraud that allowed him to get in in the first place (which I'm sure 3BNP would be happy to do in any other context), to demonstrate how corrupt and undemocratic the political system is - or you can conveniently ignore this, and the lack of a viable anti-war alternative, and berate Americans for being ignorant, gung-ho retards.

The perfect have-cake-and-eat-it situation!

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Hurt Locker has no political perspective other than banalities like war is a drug and soldiers often repress their homosexual sides. In the film, all Arabs are sweating, dirty, creepy, whiney, unhealthy, badly dressed, randomly killing people, devoid of individuality. All Americans are strong, charismatic individuals with great upper bodies who take great care not to hurt others. Americans suffer great emotional anguish if they 'have to' kill an Arab. Americans form friendships and make jokes. Hell, the Arabs don't even have clean teeth. I mean, if someone doesn't care for dental hygiene, you just have to invade their country.

i think you wanted a diferent film about the iraq war. thats all, not being into a film cos it doesn't fulfil your ideology is a bit thick. The films pretty subtle i think, all over, alot better than the really shallow description you've given above which are just a banal predetermined list of complaints which don't really fit the actual work very well.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know, I think it's just a daft old stereotype perpetuated mainly by the Simpsons writers. Though maybe 'we' do have bad teeth compared to Americans, given the preponderance of kids in the US who have braces (retainers) at some point - that, and our collective national love affair with refined sugar.
biggrintj.gif

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I know, I think it's just a daft old stereotype perpetuated mainly by the Simpsons writers. Though maybe 'we' do have bad teeth compared to Americans, given the preponderance of kids in the US who have braces (retainers) at some point - that, and our collective national love affair with refined sugar.
biggrintj.gif

my teeth are shocking.