house and techno are bad

stephenk

yeah definitely nacho patrol, that's like his ethiopian jazz/chicago house thing...he has about a million aliases though, and the number is growing. the psychic stewardess album from this year is cool. salamandos, smackos (which is generally beatless stuff with fake comic book storylines), dark days 2 is a good legowelt album/'greatest/lost hits' album.

he also has one of my favorite radio shows...http://www.moosleybay.com/astro.htm only here can you hear the international theme from alf mixed into actress, as well as wolfers's frequently hilarious musings. he has exceptional taste.

grizzleb

Get Legowelt - Classics 1998-2003 - A Selection Of Tracks From The Archive Bunker as a great introduction to his sound. He's got a great back catalogue with lots of good stuff and a melodic sound that is instantly recognisable.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
but zhao lots of the newish stuff i hear that calls itself 'kwaito' is up around 120 anyway so it's getting harder to be that clear really.

edit: as you say, the tunes in your (cool) mix is the old skool kwaito swagger but the kids are fuckin wid it...

Last edited:

grizzleb

Anybody got any township/durban then? That mix is fucking quality. I rarely listen to mixes these days but it's been on heavy rotation in my parlour.

franz

Can someone tell me what the house tune is that also uses this sample? i know i've heard it at least once or twice in the last year or so... punching Alright With Me into a search engine, proved somewhat fruitless.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
snare on the 2 and hi hat on the offbeat is just PLAYED OUT.

shit is TIRED.

with this pattern each bar is a self contained module, BOOM----KA, and stops there.

where as if the snare is on the 2.4 and/or 3.5, like in African or Caribbean rhythms, each bar anticipates the next, and needs the next to make sense: the modules are interlocking, can not exist individually, carrying you in a forward motion, into the dance.

straight

wings cru
id have to disagree with you zhao, its things the signifiers like the offbeat cymbal that I love and always have me coming back for more. You can have all matter of insanity going on in a track but when i get a cymbal after the kick then i feel like im hopping into a lovely warm familiar bath (to the point that thats all im basing most of my currenty work on). I think the polyrhythms conversation is pretty overblown, this is guys moving a couple of squares on a screen a bit to the left rather than rhythm carved on totemic granite slabs from the cradle of civilisation.

oh and dont forget 'house is a just a feeling'

zhao

there are no accidents
Have you got any more info on this, Zhao? 'tis interesting.

twas just my own little theoretical musing on beat patterns...

the snare square on the 2 is of course good for some occasions, it has that resolute finality about it. that sense of conviction... where as the carib-afro beat patterns are shifty, restless, and forever moving...

mms

sometimes
nah, that's a nice one, but whatever i'm thinking of is definitely more recent sounding...

this?
classic garage jam

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

franz

nah it's not that one either. but that song is fabulous, so i'm glad you tipped me.

i know you've all been waiting on bated breath... finally respotted this one.

it was in the United Vibes 4x4/UKG anniversary mix from last year. Nubian Mindz - Be Allrite

no youtube as far as i can tell.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Basic-Laws-Vol-2/master/76368

of course this is way more recent... wonder where the sample originates.