Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: house and techno are bad

Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    what techno and house needs is clearly Just Intonation.
    A lot of 80s and 90s synths have definable tuning tables so this shouldn't be too hard, I've got an E-MU module that has some JI tunings built in. Might be wrong but I think this is something that's left out of most modern synths and soft synths. Obv. a lot of sample based stuff will have weird tunings but not in a precise way.

Darn the oppressive hegemonic tonal domination of equal temperament.

Quote Originally Posted by mixed_biscuits View Post
    The beat of the drum is an echo of the beat of the heart - maybe you suffer from cardiac arrythmia.

Healthy people like house and techno.
    i have arrythmia and i like both, im no fan of boom boom boom but even in the most boom boom techno like robert hood the sounds sit at front in the mix and just break the pattern of the 4 4 kick, they create the rhythm, house is more shaky the emphasis in good house is always around the 4 4

and the idea that 4 4 and more broken stuff is nonsense garage and 2 step and house and funky mix it up nice so does techno and electro.

Quote Originally Posted by massrock View Post
    i feel you, brother, i feel you.

burial's transcended the genre
    Last edited by woops; 09-03-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: wrong thread fucking hell

Default t

Dismissing whole genres based on whether they are 4 to the floor or not is short sighted at best

Btw fedde le grande is not 'Techno', Spiller is not 'house'

808 State had long ago shown how to escape techno's monotony and monochrome musical palette; unfortunately, no-one had the skills to follow them.

agree, 4/4 is boring and i only like it when i'm in the mood for some boring music.

i used to be against 4 on the floor when i went through an idm phase

of course most of it is rubbish just like with everything else. but this reductionist pulse is a valid way of doing things. a bit over done by now and the clubs are desperately in need of more interesting rhythms.

Quote Originally Posted by massrock View Post
    A lot of 80s and 90s synths have definable tuning tables so this shouldn't be too hard, I've got an E-MU module that has some JI tunings built in. Might be wrong but I think this is something that's left out of most modern synths and soft synths. Obv. a lot of sample based stuff will have weird tunings but not in a precise way.

loads of softsynths like U-he zebra, camel alchemy, z3ta etc take .tun files or Scala files or whatever. if you're triggering hardsynths with midi, its so easy to use alternative tunings.

people do use them all the time, matthew johnson's uses alt tunings really obviously.

any time signature can be boring if the tracks boring.

Ah, jolly good. Those are all quality synths as well so I understand, I'd need a fatter computer to run them properly though. Would like to give that Alchemy one a go, looks fresh.

Naysayers maybe give that 'Shake' Shakir podcast posted a few weeks ago a go...

Can you really say a good house or techno (or disco) set has never grabbed you?

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....209#post220209