house and techno are bad

bob effect

somnambulist
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4linehaiku

Repetitive
someone speaking their mind with no holds barred is "self important" and dull to you?

Depends on whether the contents of their mind are meritless and vacuous dismissals of entire musical genres that could have been written by anyone at any point in the last 20 years.

zhao

there are no accidents
Depends on whether the contents of their mind are meritless and vacuous dismissals of entire musical genres that could have been written by anyone at any point in the last 20 years.

my statements would not have been true 10, or even merely 5 years ago.

tom lea

what are you fucking talking about numbnuts house and techno are great.
yeah i bought the new nick hoppner ep, and the new mmm 12" and the new claro intelecto yesterday and they're all killer. SMH, KMT, etc.

tom lea

i might make a 4x4 track with a sample of me palming my face for the kick and a pitch-bent sample of me shaking my head for the whooshy bit in the middle. it'd defo sell.

nomos

Administrator
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah i bought the new nick hoppner ep, and the new mmm 12" and the new claro intelecto yesterday and they're all killer. SMH, KMT, etc.

i was into claro intelecto around 2003 and thought it was great. these days they are still doing exactly the same thing, just not nearly as fresh anymore. no thanks.

now do i have to state again that i've lived and loved this stuff as much as, if not more than, any of you. and this is what is happening right now, in 2010: i spend a lot of time going through fucking boatloads of it, just hoping to prove my premonitions wrong, just hoping to keep the hope alive... but after months and months of looking, i have found very, very little of any value.

genres and scenes all have life spans. initial explosion of creativity and innovation -- maturation/golden age -- incestuous biting/other bullshit -- and finally becomes largely irrelevant. (and a few years or a decade or 2 on it might be revitalized)

what we know as house and techno is approaching the final stage from where i'm standing. like trad jazz in 1970, like d'n'b in 2000.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
what house/techno from 2009/10 DO you rate, zhao?

would be interested to hear it.

personally i'm almost completely ignorant/new to the genre(s) been listening to

mm24.jpg

and a lot of theo parrish lately

+ 4X4 US/UK garage i.e.

alex

Do not read this.
Stimming has done some really interesting things recently. 'Bright Star' being the one I am most fond of.

nomos

Administrator
all that new stuff sucks...

... it has three years to live

zhao

there are no accidents
hahaha funny videos... thanks i enjoyed those. too bad they're irrelevant to the conversation.

Ory

warp drive
levon vincent's "double jointed sex freak" was nice, as well as the occasional omar-s 12". other than that i've been utterly bored by everything recently.

mms

sometimes
there does seem to be alot of generic stuff about but its also kinda spintered, i think house is maybe at this funny stage, there is the slow disco stuff, the edits, the funky, the jus-ed/levon vincent side of things, moodymann and that gang, the more 'italo' sounding european stuff, the minimal inspired stuff, that circus company sound, the atlanta stuff and the newer chicago/ detroit bits, it's in rude health but not as a solidified sound.