house and techno are bad

zhao

there are no accidents
a bit strange that some people seem to be offended that i think the majority of house and techno releases today suck ass?

whether that's a reasonable statement or not, why do you even care?

if you like formulaic cookie cutter music, don't let some old grouchy humbug rain on your conformist parade!

anyhow. i'm going to make an European and American house and techno mix soon and sort this shit out once and for all :p

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Maybe the house/techno scene is going through a post-minimal lull, but I think it's always been true that (outside obvious golden ages) most genres can seem full of copycat shite if you're feeling a bit disenchanted with them. Especially a genre such as house/techno, where the general lack of 'image' to distract and differentiate (still couldn't recognise any major Berlin-y DJs aside from Villalobos) might make the music seem that bit more generic?

Of course, in genres such as classical, the generic stuff has fallen away over the years, so we are left with the cream of the crop (in theory, at least). Being confronted with it all day every day can be overwhelming - and, to get Berlin-specific, when I've been there for even short periods of time, the dominance of techno does begin to pall quickly.

Pestario

tell your friends
I used to be a rhythm snob, hating all 4x4 whatever it is and fetishising ultra-cut up jungle and drumfunk dnb. But as I grow older I'm appreciating it much more. It's a strange progression.

grizzleb

4x4 done well is amazing. Most recent techno/house I listen to sucks ass, and is just forumulaic and lacking ideas. There's always going to be decent shit, but I think the best stuff is happening elsewhere at the minute. That's not to take anything away from people discovering the wealth of good shit at the moment, in amongst new producers who are good, but from a jaded perspective aren't doing all that much that makes me really sit up and listen (levon vincent etc). It's all about where you are at the moment, it's not about one scene being full of ideas and another being totally lacking. Much of it has to do with what you are rocking at the mo.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
truth be told I've almost always found a lot of techno boring to dance to. I have tried a few times to get into it and a lot of the time I end up just nodding and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. This particularly applies with Dettmann style stuff. But then I got into dance music through chomping pills and gesticulating wildly to Andy C sets.

Garage is probably number one in my house/house-related genres that I can dance to list. Oh and UK funky OBV.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
+ I find a lot of the stuff I can't dance to interesting/enjoyable to listen to.

I love Omar S/Theo Parrish but I can't imagine going crazy to a set of their tunes... I suppose that's not the point though.

I CAN/HAVE/MUST go crazy to a Todd Edward set.

echevarian

babylon sister
Catch Theo when he's feeling frisky and he will quite literally make you dance your ass off.

You won't have much say in the matter.

Just because he makes abstract beats as DJ tools for his sets doesn't mean he isn't primarily interested in moving bodies.

Never seen Moodymann live, I hear he really doesn't mix so much as play tunes in their entirety these days.

Dunno about Omar S either.

Pestario

tell your friends
truth be told I've almost always found a lot of techno boring to dance to. I have tried a few times to get into it and a lot of the time I end up just nodding and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. This particularly applies with Dettmann style stuff. But then I got into dance music through chomping pills and gesticulating wildly to Andy C sets.

Garage is probably number one in my house/house-related genres that I can dance to list. Oh and UK funky OBV.

I started from dnb as well and couldn't understand how you could enjoyably dance to techno, thud thud thud is that it? but then I chomped a bunch of pills at a techno rave and got into it. For me it's all about locking into the metronome, not thinking, just being there, not necessarily paying attention to the music but listening with your body. It's music for the nervous system, not the brain, which is probably why there aren't many new or exciting ideas in the genre. Personally I don't care, I don't look to techno for innovation, that's happening elsewhere but I find techno the most satisfying to rave to.

happiness is mdma and 6 hours of half bar loops

Richard Carnage

TUNE ID

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7448849653654b52/

from Kyle Hall playing on alex nut's show

Big tune. No idea what it is though. Re: Theo's DJ sets, he really doesn't play much house anyway. Loads of disco, jazz-funk and other bits and bobs with a few of his own bits thrown in. Only seen him twice in the flesh (most recently in Bristol a month or so back) but each time he was absolutely wicked. I can just picture myself on the floor now, beaming and lost in the groove... :D

zhao

there are no accidents
it's all about locking into the metronome, not thinking, just being there, not necessarily paying attention to the music but listening with your body. It's music for the nervous system, not the brain, which is probably why there aren't many new or exciting ideas in the genre.

you've hit on something there for sure. i've long thought that it is subconscious music, akin to the "frog's eye view" thing of Ambient: a frog doesn't see the constant elements of his surroundings, only changes in them. so the constant elements in the loops of techno you stop noticing after a while, and only the subtle changes.

which is a great idea and i don't think necessarily a dead end at all. so i don't necessarily agree with the last part i've quoted... fuck if i know why there is so much copycat shit out there right now.

Damien

I would say most of my favourite music is that which locks me in a groove. Always searching for that out of body experience

hint

party record with a siren
TUNE ID

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7448849653654b52/

from Kyle Hall playing on alex nut's show

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>