house and techno are bad

franz

i have no idea where/when most of the tunes are coming from, but the deep house that finds its way onto Bruk sets suits me just fine these days.

In line with Zhao's complaints I'd sum up Techno's problem like this. You'll come home from a club only recognising 3 tunes despite the fact that you heard at least 15 others several times before. It offends my sensibilities that so many people are producing tracks that sound like a million others, year after year after year. How can this be profitable, much less how can so many producers have the willpower to do it. How do DJ's justify buying (less relevant now with the demise of 12's) so many similar tunes or remember what they are

And before anyone comes back with the old 'but 90% of releases in every genre are bad' line- yes that is the case but at least in other genres they're not so minimal to the extent where individual tracks are so hard to identify from each other. And of course there must be loads of good techno tunes out there it's just hard to find them- unfortunately techno is one of those genres where the mainstream end of things is too dominant to allow the good stuff to flourish.

bob effect

somnambulist
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In line with Zhao's complaints I'd sum up Techno's problem like this. You'll come home from a club only recognising 3 tunes despite the fact that you heard at least 15 others several times before. It offends my sensibilities that so many people are producing tracks that sound like a million others, year after year after year. How can this be profitable, much less how can so many producers have the willpower to do it. How do DJ's justify buying (less relevant now with the demise of 12's) so many similar tunes or remember what they are

Well I think that’s because, at least in most of Europe, techno and house don’t have the massive influence of soundsystem culture that most UK dance music has, and dj sets are approached in a slightly different way. Like a dj set is not so much about the tunes as it is about a dj building a vibe, with the tunes being more of a dj tool than an individual piece of music. And I think that’s why in most clubs you won’t hear a rewind or an mc hosting a set.

Not that either way is better than the other, I find both can be equally enjoyable.

mms

sometimes
Well I think that’s because, at least in most of Europe, techno and house don’t have the massive influence of soundsystem culture that most UK dance music has, and dj sets are approached in a slightly different way. Like a dj set is not so much about the tunes as it is about a dj building a vibe, with the tunes being more of a dj tool than an individual piece of music. And I think that’s why in most clubs you won’t hear a rewind or an mc hosting a set.

Not that either way is better than the other, I find both can be equally enjoyable.

hmm yes this has been a problem since the late 90s , esp with minimal, good techno and house has riffs drops and fxs same as anything else to me, but stuff got more tracky mid late 90s and more boring to me.

gumdrops

if someone was sort of interested in kyle hall, namely that hyperdub 12, what else should they investigate, either old/new?

Damien

I'm not into that Kyle Hall Hyperdub 12. I feel like I'm not privvy to something that everyone else is

His Wild Oats record on the other hand :cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
Like a dj set is not so much about the tunes as it is about a dj building a vibe, with the tunes being more of a dj tool than an individual piece of music.

and the vast majority of these djs build pretty much the same vibe: boring.

grizzleb

if someone was sort of interested in kyle hall, namely that hyperdub 12, what else should they investigate, either old/new?
What do you mean, are you looking for more stuff from him, or just similar stuff? I'll need to listen again but it sounds a wee bit different from the majority of housey shit I hear.

zhao

there are no accidents
this is not boring though

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

If you like Kyle Hall the obvious ones to check out are Omar S and Theo Parrish.

Recently have been listening to a lot of Theo Parrish, absolute genius.

''First Floor'' LP is the one.

shaolinsoul

whatever happened to playing whatever you wanted as long as the bpm's are similar????. Im playing a lot of 140 bpm stuff so much good dance music fall in this category. You could get into some breakbeat stuff then some techno or even slower jungle. I dont believe i've ever played a set of "one" particular style anyways and wouldnt want to be regarded as that kind of dj.

zhao

there are no accidents
whatever happened to playing whatever you wanted as long as the bpm's are similar????. Im playing a lot of 140 bpm stuff so much good dance music fall in this category. You could get into some breakbeat stuff then some techno or even slower jungle. I dont believe i've ever played a set of "one" particular style anyways and wouldnt want to be regarded as that kind of dj.

people with this mentality are the exceptions. most absolutely have the rigid notion that a dj should pick a sound and stick to it firmly stuck in their heads. "i was just asked this recently: it's cool that you play all this different things, but what is YOUR thing?"

shaolinsoul

people with this mentality are the exceptions. most absolutely have the rigid notion that a dj should pick a sound and stick to it firmly stuck in their heads. "i was just asked this recently: it's cool that you play all this different things, but what is YOUR thing?"

That guy is missing the point, there is no "thing". The dance music im hearing and listening to presently are grey areas of overlapping scenes, the closest I could describe it is bass, or even "bass" driven music. The common thread here for me is that if its forward thinking, bassy and powerful enough to rock the dance, im playing it. Obviously people are going to fine tune the parameters of what to them is "forward thinking" and follow that pattern.

I mean Look at someone like Surgeon, this guy made his name in techno, but he's now playing Untold, Roska, Berlin techno and even olschool rave classics. So what do you think his "thing" is??.
And im not too bothered, because I saw him a month ago and he smashed it.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I mean Look at someone like Surgeon, this guy made his name in techno, but he's now playing Untold, Roska, Berlin techno and even olschool rave classics. So what do you think his "thing" is??.
And im not too bothered, because I saw him a month ago and he smashed it.

really? must catch him in that case - always rated him very highly.