house and techno are bad

woops

is not like other people
this is something i need to get off my chest. 4/4 kicks are wrong.
listening to planet rock last night it has the synth and drum machine that all the techno guys used but with, to my ears, a more interesting rhythm.
there's a huge division in electronic music between 4/4 and non

IanTheM

Tame Horse
listening to planet rock last night it has the synth and drum machine that all the techno guys used but with, to my ears, a more interesting rhythm.
there's a huge division in electronic music between 4/4 and non

Disco's cool.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I used to think this.

Think I was wrong though.

You can do a lot with that template, rhythmically.

polystyle

Thank you Whoops

I would replace techno with disco on your list- but hey, it's your list !

Also when one is talking Planet Rock, you are dealing with John Robie, master programmer and slinger of live tracks onto tape.
heard Bam rocking it just the other week ... wicked as that music MAKES one dance,
not THINK one should dance.

muser

I used to think that but I like lots of music with 4/4 rhythms, for me it still gets dull quickly if its 4/4 where its completely centered around the kick with very simplistic and static sound-sets behind it. (still have never really been able to get immersed in the basic channel dub techno stuff either tho tbh :eek: :confused: alltho did like some of the re-releases of the Rhythm and Sound stuff with vocals)

Last edited:

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
4/4 kicks are only wrong and boring when everything 'else' is quantized and suffocatingly metronomic.

some bread and cheese and fine white wine? :confused:

mms

sometimes
there's a huge division in electronic music between 4/4 and non[/QUOTE

this is bollocks though
the best techno isn't dominated by the 4 4 kick - same with house.
planet rock is an electro rhythm and variations of that can get as boring as anything else.
all dance music is 4/4 too.

zhao

there are no accidents
Pauline Oliveros said any kind of regular syncopation which doesn't change is about locking your consciousness into a groove, the opposite of opening the mind...

only partially agree...

zhao

there are no accidents
what techno and house needs is clearly Just Intonation.

and loads and loads and loads more African percussion.

woops

is not like other people
this is bollocks though

it's not though

this is bollocks though
the best techno isn't dominated by the 4 4 kick - same with house.
planet rock is an electro rhythm and variations of that can get as boring as anything else.
all dance music is 4/4 too.

clearly. but when i get a chance to listen to the non 4/4 u guys rock to i'll agree
not just the best techno or house, but all techno or house are dominated by the most obvious plodding

mixed_biscuits

Healthy people like house and techno.

woops

is not like other people
The beat of the drum is an echo of the beat of the heart - maybe you suffer from cardiac arrythmia.

Healthy people like house and techno.

i have no problem with being a sick creature, poncey philosophy reference

Last edited:

massrock

what techno and house needs is clearly Just Intonation.
A lot of 80s and 90s synths have definable tuning tables so this shouldn't be too hard, I've got an E-MU module that has some JI tunings built in. Might be wrong but I think this is something that's left out of most modern synths and soft synths. Obv. a lot of sample based stuff will have weird tunings but not in a precise way.

Darn the oppressive hegemonic tonal domination of equal temperament. :mad: