Improv is bad

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
A lot of them approach this partly as a political thing, don't they? Kind of like an improvised performance is a microcosm of how people can relate in an anarchist society or something? Don't really know much about this, but that's the impression I've picked up from the odd interview in the Wire, at least. I'd be interested if anyone knows more about this angle...

to a certain extent, yes
if you want to know more you should read Eddie Prévost's book No Sound Is Innocent

:)

connect_icut

The first wave of British free improv (AMM, Company, SME etc...) was highly, highly political but I suspect that, nowadays, free improv is just something a lot of people get into when they're at music school. That might account for the lack of imagination in much contemporary improv. Music school people tend to be most comfortable doing stuff just because that's-what-you-do, without asking too many questions, whereas the original improv scene was all about asking difficult questions and challenging yourself.

luka

john eden
john eden is online now male pale and stale

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
that stockhausen piece at audio poverty was gorgeous wasn't it?
Yes, especially the cellist

when a red blooded male could still say 'phwoar' without a hatemob of feminazis internet shaming him on twitter and ruining his life

luka

it's just a provactive way to title an improv thread really. conversation starter. can't get much going on an internet forum without that sort of behaviour. turns into a dinner party.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
it's just a provactive way to title an improv thread really. conversation starter. can't get much going on an internet forum without that sort of behaviour. turns into a dinner party.

sure thing; my post was more a comment on my declining intellectual proclivities than anything else ;)