Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
recently: "Time (The Revelator)": Gillian Welch.
an amazing track, it's absolutely timeless, beautifully sung/played and with darkish lyrics.

before:
Vini Reilly, Townes Van Zandt, some Joy Division and probably more ...

C

captain easychord

a good part of the aphex twin catalogue
cannibal ox - 'the f word'
david banner - 'cadillacs on 22's'
the last track on boy in da corner
nina simone - 'sinnerman'

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
How could I forget?

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box and Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Those two utterly decimate me... Probably more for their impact on me as a small tacker than anything...

believekevin

This has happened to me a bunch of times in a live setting when everything is "clicking" and it seems like we are reaching some new collective understanding.

The only single track that comes to mind right now is Nas "One Mic." Something about the "i shot back / fuck gettin hit / this my hood / i'ma rep to the death of it" is just so powerful.

Also, mad many motown / soul tracks. The Spinners, the four tops..

redcrescent

Very recently. I slap on three roots tracks in an attempt to end a night of sin and excess (not me, for a change, it was work) on a spiritual high... and end up with tears streaming down my face onto records and sleeves and into my beer glass. Some sad figure I must have cut behind the decks, but the sheer beauty of what I was hearing was just utterly overwhelming.

Never mind the original quote for a sec'
Red Rooster said:
stories from top DJ's who say they like to spot people crying when they play an awesome track
What about people spotting the DJ crying?

Oh, in case anyone cares, the tracks in question were:
Toots and the Maytals "It was written down"
The Heptones "Book of rules"
The Congos "Solid foundation"

Devastating, uplifting, incredible music.

evergreen

some of the african hip-hop i've heard recently ... the singing makes my hair stand on end, it's so real

smockey "blues afrique" and another one called "africa lakale" by a name that escapes me atm

Red Rooster

I'm glad this thread got love!

Some really great tales there.

I have been moved close to tears once. Heard Jamiroquai play "Didjital Vibrations" live. I used to listen to it nearly every night on my cd walkman to send me to sleep - the digeridoo in the rainforest atmosphere, beautifully layered track.

But hearing it all played live at a concert - amazing, and then, right as I felt the lump rising, Jay Kay actually walked past me thru the crowd - right in front of me, not even a few people between us (he left the stage for something and just walked through the audience like a normal guy as the track is instrumental and runs for about 10 to 15 minutes).

It was the most perfect musical moment in my life !!

Red Rooster

redcrescent said:
What about people spotting the DJ crying?

No I meant DJ's always hold memories of playing a track in their sets and actually spotting somebody crying in the audience.

I've read a couple of articles over the years - I can't remember who they were though!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
believekevin said:
The only single track that comes to mind right now is Nas "One Mic." Something about the "i shot back / fuck gettin hit / this my hood / i'ma rep to the death of it" is just so powerful.

Also, mad many motown / soul tracks. The Spinners, the four tops..

Great calls - that line near the end of 'One mic' - "Bitches (ahem) left me cos they thought I was finished" and those that follow it are so self-mythologising and yet so moving; that song pretty much singlehandedly rolled back a decade to the rawness of Illmatic, made all the intervening disappointments melt away.

70s and Philly soul - Delfonics - Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time; Persuaders - Thin Line Between Love and Hate; Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her?...................

redcrescent

@ RR

I know what you meant. I just reversed the question, as it were, and in my story the DJ sheds tears, not the audience.

So some top DJs say they've had people weep at gigs. OK.

But have you ever heard people coming home from a club saying,
Q: "See the weepy c*** on the decks?"
A: "Aye, f****** bawling like a baby."

Or something similar?

DavidD

can't be stopped
"Heaven or Hell" is a good one.

I know its cliche as a hip-hop fan to say this, but certainly the first time I heard "They Reminisce Over You"

There are quite a few Notorious B.I.G. moments, I have to say

"My mother got cancer in her breast/ don't ask me why i'm mothafuckin stressed, things done changed."

Whole portions of "Sky is the Limit"

Everyday struggle - "I don't wanna live no mo, sometimes i hear death knockin' at my front door / i'm livin' every day as a hustle, another drug to juggle/ another day another struggle."

Big did an amazing job translating that sort of limitless sadness about the parodox of modern life, growing up poor in a world that doesn't understand - even the introduction to juicy, "this album is dedicated to all the teachers that told me I'd never amount to nothin', to all the people that lived above the buildings that I was hustlin' in front of that called the police on me when I was just tryin' to make some money to feed my daughters..."

In the album he robs pregnant women, shoots people effortlessly, fucks girls left and right, and yet makes you sympathize with every moment...one of Christgau's best lines was about this album (which is saying something, considering his poor record w/r/t hip-hop in the early 90s) even if it is a bit "what am I doing listening to hip-hop":

xgau said:
As a white person in an integrated, how do we say it, nabe, I should breathe a sigh of relief that pithy Christopher Wallace seems content to exploit his own people--"I been robbin' motherfuckers since the slave ship," or, if you prefer, "I be beatin' motherfuckers like Ike beat Tina." As a male person, I should be grateful he doesn't want to pimp my kind either. But because I live a lot farther from the edge, these things don't make me feel better at all--I'm outraged when anyone gets robbed, beaten, or pimped, descendants of slaves especially. Hence I'm not inclined to like this motherfucker. But the more I listen the more I do. Wiping the cold out of his eyes at 5:47 a.m. or pulling his gat as the wrong guy comes down the street, he commands more details than any West Coast gangsta except carbetbagging Ice-T. His sex raps are erotic, his jokes are funny, and his music makes the thug life sound scary rather than luxuriously laid back. When he considers suicide, I not only take him at his word, I actively hope he finds another way.

Also, "Live at Dominoes" by the Avalanches.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

loads of stuff.
the recent ones =

mfa- 'the difference it makes [superpitcher remix]'
michael mayer- falling hands
riko- don't want you back
talking heads- this must be the place/ naive melody
villalobos- dexter
rhythm is rhythm- strings of life
all of the first spy vs spy EP
ruff sqwad- alright
and target's 'earth warrior [remix]' can make me feel a bit funny, cuz it's so amazing, but i'm not sure if it makes me cry.

darknes

Outkast's Liberation, second to last track on Aquemini. When Cee Lo sings "My relationship with my folks is give and take/I done took so much/I give in my glory..." gives me goosebumps even now, and made me burst out crying the first time I heard it.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Shadow - Endtroducing, it just kills me, I got it the year I lived in France and discovered love and life....

Talking Heads - Once in A Lifetime, in particular on Stop Making Sense. David Byrne personally redeems our materialistic culture by spazzing out like the nerd in all of us.

the Beatles - Eleanor Rigby. SLAYS me.

Quicksand's album Slip, in particular when performed live. When I saw them, I cried through almost the entire show. So moving.

And when my boy played his dnb tune when he opened for High Contrast.

I am a weepy sap. I cry at car commercials.

Last edited:

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Daft Punk - Digital Love made me cry tears of happiness recently. The other one I remember was some reggae song I recognized but didn't know the name of during a Easy Star All Stars concert. It was just nice to hear it.

I suppose Faust - Jennifer could make me cry too. Basically any song that I associate with "love".

michael

Bring out the vacuum
While I'm too much of a repressed motherfucker to shed tears over music, I've also found that Talking Heads' 'Naive Melody' grabs me pretty hard sometimes.

Last time I thought I was going to cry over a bit of music (close enough, right? :)) was Fennesz's remix of the Junior Boys' 'Birthday'. When the waves of distortion roll in... cue keanu "woah"

Another one for me is The Notwist's 'One With The Freaks'. Their music is often very sterile - IDM precision production meets fairly trad indie rock - but this song really gets me. I think the English as a second language aspect is a bonus in this particular track. I mean, "you are one with the freaks" is a perfectly acceptable phrase of English, but I have to wonder if they were aware of the different feeling created by saying "with" rather than "of" there.

kingofcars

rob hubbard's theme to the c64 game 'crazy comets' almost brings me to tears every time i hear it.

....dont' ask.