Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?

bassnation

the abyss
simon silverdollar said:
oh and baby d 'let me be yr fantasy' as well.

on that tip, "hideaway" by deep dish used to have that effect on me if i was under the influence.

i remember going to gay pride on clapham common in 1997 (or thereabouts) and seeing a dj in the substation tent drop "something going on in my heart" by todd terry. there were loads of people crying with joy when that was played, it was an amazing moment. on the way out, we got a bit confused as to which way we had to walk to get out of there - and there were swarms of large insects flying into our heads which was extremely disorientating. but going off on a tangent now.

Triple-M

Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch II is one the lachrymose crew.

The other stand-out tune from that album, Clock Factory, is apt to make you petrified rather than cry. Try listening to it in bed with the lights out after a spot of green - if you dare.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
kingofcars said:
rob hubbard's theme to the c64 game 'crazy comets' almost brings me to tears every time i hear it.
Wow, that's weird, I feel almost the same with his music for "One Man and His Droid".

kingofcars

hamarplazt said:
Wow, that's weird, I feel almost the same with his music for "One Man and His Droid".

there's quite a few tearjerkers in the c64 musical world. 8-bit sounds can carry alot of emotional weight...the nostalgia factor...

martin galway's 'parallax' theme can get pretty emotional, too....

robin

loads of stuff,i'm a sucker for that sort of carry on
more than anything else though the first movement of gorecki's third symphony...
ocean songs by dirty three too
also recently,the more i listen to holla by ghostface the more it hits me as being one of the most beautiful things ive ever heard-far more so that the delfonics original for some reason

misterpc

how do you turn a duck into a soul singer AND make me cry?

"Hope She'll Be Happier" by Bill Withers, from the Live at Carnegie Hall set... when he hits the long note in the middle, I crash the car.

Plus, for good measure, "Every Word Except Goodbye" by Peter Mulvey, from Trouble with Poets.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Saw Jimmy Scott play at Ronnie Scotts, and he DECIMATED the audience, when he came out a couple next to me were giggling, "is he a man or a woman" and that sort of thing, and within three songs they were literally holding onto each other, mascara running, the bloke just looking totally aghast, tears flooding down his cheeks. Good on yer, Jimmy, I thought.

'Truth and Rights' by Johnny Osbourne does it for me every time too.

swears

preppy-kei
I welled up a bit once when Ivan Smagge dropped Severed Heads' "Dead Eyes Opened" on a night out, right after some other really melancholy tune that I never identified.
(It's a prettier tune than the title suggests ;) ) I was on pills though, does that still count?

rob hubbard's theme to the c64 game 'crazy comets' almost brings me to tears every time i hear it.

....dont' ask.

That has to be one of the top game themes ever, Hubbard is a genius. I read that he actually progammed tunes in machine code to get effects/timbres that couldn't be achieved on the limited music software available for the C64.

zhao

there are no accidents
most recently was that i-wayne track off of Hard Times. the one which goes "I wanna see my people in love, no wanna see them swimming in blood" about 2 months ago i was going through some family stuff at the time... and was very stoned... very late at night coming home by myself... heard this song and just made me bawl. for some reason.

there is other music which almost always want to make me cry. some of my favorite sounds in the world... will think about it and get back.

(great idea for thread)

zhao

there are no accidents
i think there are 2 kinds (at least) of things which do this: 1. music that is very sad (obviously) and 2. music that is very beautiful. may be very, very subtle, or may be very, very powerful and bold, and it just sounds so right, so good... that it's like a key that just opens up the floodgates... crazy

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh... "thousands are sailing" off of If I should Fall From Grace With God by the Pogues. i was playing it for my girlfriend before i left, first time hearing it in about... 14 years? and i could hardly keep the tears in... i guess it's a song about immigrants, and i really identified with it when i was young, just moved to the States...

STN

sou'wester
oh... "thousands are sailing" off of If I should Fall From Grace With God by the Pogues. i was playing it for my girlfriend before i left, first time hearing it in about... 14 years? and i could hardly keep the tears in... i guess it's a song about immigrants, and i really identified with it when i was young, just moved to the States...

Yeah, the depressing assumption 'when I got back to my empty room, I suppose I must have cried' does tug the old heartstrings. MacGowan sets the scene of a carefree night out followed by sudden, horrible, hollow loneliness perfectly.

D

dubversion

so many things - a handful of Low tracks (especially Sunflower), most of the first Sparklehorse album, Billy Bragg's Tank park Salute because it makes me think of losing my dad, Dory Previn's The Lady With The Braid, Van Morrison's Beside You.. that's off the top of my head..

zhao

there are no accidents
How could I forget?

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night

oh my lord... after my 18th birthday i think it was, i was still drunk as hell in the morning... heard the Unplugged version of this song... had just broken up with a girl at the time... damn

gumdrops

smiths - its over
nina simone - various songs
morrisey/nancy sinatra - let me kiss you
some billie holiday stuff
donny hathaway - friends

not actually blubbed to these songs but theyve made me *close*

muser

off the top of my head..

ella fitzgerald - blue skies
billie holiday - gloomy sunday
rico rodriguez - stranger on the shore
cigány himnusz on the latcho drom album
ando drom - sleep is this song
aphex twin/analord - where's your girlfriend?
cyne - automation (four tet remix)
filastine - ja helo

never actually cried tho

Last edited:

adruu

This Is It
what is wrong with you people? =P

Truthfully, I Wayne - Living in Love had me LIT the first time, especially if coupled with
Capleton - day will come...m.a.s.s.i.v.e.n.e.s.s.