Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?

tox

Factory Girl
Nina Simone. I can't stand it when cafes and bars use her as background music, because I can't not listen to her and her voice pretty much kills me every time.

Just be happy you're not in the UK where we're subjected to "I Got Life" on a Yoghurt advert!

Sickening!

hopper

Cliff Martinez - Don't blow it

Absolutely stunning, I didn't cry but it jus made me sit still on the spot absolutely stunned.

swears

preppy-kei
Stick on "True Faith" at the end of a heavy night when I'm feeling a little bit tired and emotional, and I'll be sobbing my eyes out.
Stayed with a friend in his student halls and came back to sit in his kitchen and chat with a few people, this was on the stereo and the tears just started streaming.

Him: "What's wrong? Fucking hell, what happened?"

Me: "Nothing, nothing..."

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Nina Simone. I can't stand it when cafes and bars use her as background music, because I can't not listen to her and her voice pretty much kills me every time.
my dad used to complain about this, 'listen to the words'

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Michael Rose - Born Free
- Is just incredible

Stevie Wonder - Golden Lady
- The way the melody of the vocal in the chorus lilts around at the end of the line is the tearjerker for me.

and rather perversely

Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
- really loud in a car with a subwoofer.

Last edited:

ripley

my dad used to complain about this, 'listen to the words'

I doubt I'll be hearing "Go to hell" in a yogurt ad (but you never know, I can't believe that her voice can be used that way), that's one I teared up to most recently.

it's the lyrics, but also something she does with them, something in her voice..

luka

No song has ever made me cry. Boys don't cry. Having said that films and tv make me cry fairly often, particularly during long haul flights. Wonder Woman had me welling up. A sunset made me cry recently but I was on drugs so it doesn't count.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I once spent a good three or four hours in a tent at Bestival, on a big comedown, crying uncontrollably to choons such as U don't have to call because they were so poignantly amazing. It was weirdly a very uplifting experience. Feeling blessed to be alive to hear Usher and the Neptune's.

luka

Well exactly. MDMA depletes your testosterone thus making you more feminine leading to unprompted bouts of shameful tears. A drug to be avoided.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Joe Claussell made me cry when he played Eddie Grant - Time Warp (extended version with both the original and then the harmonica solo) and blended in Is It All Over My Face (female vocal)

It was at a point where I was really getting into post disco and romanticizing the loft and paradise garage and had yet to hear a classic style mix of that kind on a big system. They were tears of joy. The playfulness of those Rhodes chords at the beginning of all over my face made me feel like I was a kid again full of wonder and amazement at the world. And this was years ago in griessmühle, one of Berlin's grimiest clubs. I was jumping for joy.

No shame about that at all