Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?

Red Rooster

I always hear stories from top DJ's who say they like to spot people crying when they play an awesome track - but have you ever heard something so deep it made you cry?

Most of Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures, vol. 1
Nina Simone, He Neds me
Trembling Blue Stars, ABBA On The Jukebox
Jacques Brel, Voir Un Ami Pleurer
Mary G. Blige and Method Man, All That I Got Is You
Olive, You're Not Alone
Jimmy Durante, September Song
The Beatles, In My Life
The Smiths, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
The Real Thing, You To Me Are Everything

dubplatestyle

sometimes i think i'll start blubberin at any old thing.

the last time i busted up was to david banner's "fire fallin" about a week ago.

martin

----
The Dubliners' version of 'The Town I Loved So Well' usually sets me off. And that bit at the end of 'Jamie and the Magic Torch' when his mum said 'Goodnight, Jamie'

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
!

Yeah...

especially when i heard a quiet number from Pharaoh Sanders, which was so beautiful i had to...i couldn't even take it...
(The intro goes on forever, just quietly droning with eastern flavours, then after 2 minutes or something his tenor sax comes in, just blowing slowly into the heavens....Fucking amazing, instant nirvana...) -Left me speechless... :cool: :)

D

droid

dubplatestyle said:
sometimes i think i'll start blubberin at any old thing.

the last time i busted up was to david banner's "fire fallin" about a week ago.

:) Im with you there... theres nearly too many to count...

heres 3 offhand that never fail:

Aphex twin - Xylem Tube

DJ SS - Black

DJ Crystl - The Dark Crystl

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'l always remember isolee live in barcelona a few years back, after i'd written a big chunk of the sonar programme about how brilliant he is. didn't even realise i was crying until someone asked me if i was alright.
not forgetting when i first got boy in da corner, either. totally fell to pieces listening to it on a bus driving through east london.
camargue by cj bolland can quite often set me off, too.
i do this quite a lot, actually. you have to be a bit careful about this at ragga and grime nights, though.

Oh yeah, I'm a soft bastard, me. All sorts of potential for tearfulness round my place. Most recent example was hearing Spooky's "Stereo" for the first time in years when I found it on an old cassette. I could feel the lump coming up in my throat, then when the organ-bass kicked in I fucking lost it big time.

Last edited:

SMorlighem

Hhhm, I was close to, yesterday, when discovering 'It's You' by Vashti Bunyan with the Animal Collective, even if it was a shitty mp3 on crap speakers !
I avoid to listen to certain records : for instance Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'
Can't stand it :(

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Not recently, but i cryied heavily with those:

joy division - unknow pleasures
current 93 - soft black star
scott walker - 3
too many soul songs to even start to number
johnny cash - hurt
prince bonnie willie - i see a darkness
cat power - moon pix

i'm easy to cry with songs and books and movies, i cryied last time a week ago at the end of "million dollar baby"....

Last edited:

Rambler

Awanturnik
Loads of things. One that gets me every single time though is Gene: 'Does he have a name'. That's a perfect broken heart song.

As a teenager there were about 6 or 7 Teenage Fanclub songs that always used to get me too.

Deep down I'm just a soft indie-pop get.

off the top of my head I'll say 'The Bends' and 'OK Computer' by Radiohead - I really couldnt believe what I was hearing when I heard those LP's....

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
Joy Division - In A Lonely Place (unreleased demo from Heart and Soul Box)

When he kicks in with "how I wish you were heeere, with me now..." its an absolute killer.

Antony and the Johnsons - I Fell In Love With A Dead Boy and Cripple And The Starfish
Coil - most of Musick To Play In The Dark and the Solstice EPs
Cannibal Ox - The F-Word

"'I like you a lot but I don't wanna lose what we got' / The F-word"

Vordul - Never Gonna Hurt Again

Just that chorus - "never gonna hurt again" - especially in the context of his injury and its impact on his career.

bassnation

the abyss
4 hero "journey from the light", esp the creepy one that sounds like you've took too many ecstasy tablets

failing that, nausbluten always makes me feel emotional.

polystyle

like tears in rain

Good thread

I've noticed that there are certain songs that I just know are going to get a round of tears going
because they tie in with emotional memories of a certain time , sometimes place.
There seems to be a brain tie with whatever music it was that you really got and felt was 'your's',
at some young point in your life.
Because they blew my Junior High School mind in early '70's,
Ziggy And The Spiders From Mars doing "Moonage Daydream" gets me almost anytime ,
pile of used Kleenex when Ronson rips solo .
Bowie's "Heroes" does it as well.
Early UK punk like "God Save The Queen" , even Generation X's first single"Your Generation" can draw an angry tear or two 'cuz of a kind of 'Dammit , that's right maaaan' feeling .

polystyle

Joy / Sad

Should have included Joy Division too ...
Many cuts from Unknown Pleasures get me .
We all had tickets to see Joy here when we got the sad news.
Then instead , a very New Order looked like THEY'D been crying when they went on stage @ Tier 3 for first show in US

mms

sometimes
i shed a little tear at the sunra archestra gig the other week. just the single minded gorgeousness of the idea and the density of the feeling behind it,the history and pain, plus the desire to levitate from it all in marshall's staggering playing.
late period coltrane is almost unlistenable to me, makes me cry , same kinda reasons, but the sound just kills me. Pharoah Saunders 'creator has a masterplan, too much choice.
james brown cos it's just so fucking sick, makes me tear my hair out.
cooperation by franco and sam the other guy set me off a little the other day.
One of the songs off the last shellac album set me off when i saw em playing live, 'and if there is a heaven,and i think there is no heaven, she's probably dancing with you.' Difficult.