harmony korine

woops

is not like other people
I was very interested in this guy as a teenager and i can't lie i still am. Post your reasons I should have outgrown him in this thread.
Did anybody else read A Crackup at the Race Riot? The one where he's got all the faked celebrity death notes. Also his post-Gummo three-screen installation which works as a sequel
just rewatched Julien Donkey Boy

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
an exgirlfriend gave me crackup at the race riots for a birthday, i often dip into it even now.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Kids still stands up as one of the most visceral films I've ever seen. Outlasted any other 'teen shock' movie by virtue of actually being very good.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah - and it will last - but the gaze of that film is still that of the pederast, even though the story comes from the 'kids' (i.e. korine) itself, the way it's shot is still really objectifying.

I really liked Gummo, I thought Donkey Boy was arse, but I keep an open mind about what he might do. I thought he fell heavily down an 'F is for Fake' faux-post modern route, where I thought Gummo showed the potential for him to be the 'realest', i.e. realism, filmmaker of his time, but he went somewhere else with it and I lost interest.

STN

sou'wester
I don't know much about him, but isn't he one of those people that you're 'not meant to like' that actually everyone likes, they just preface their like of him with the caveat that you're (apparently) not meant to like him? Like Hall and Oates.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't know much about him, but isn't he one of those people that you're 'not meant to like' that actually everyone likes, they just preface their like of him with the caveat that you're (apparently) not meant to like him? Like Hall and Oates.

I actually just don't like him. His films are shit. Gummo is one of the few films I've walked out of. Out of boredom rather than outrage. I don't like Kids much each other - it's just the flipside of a Daily Mail view of the world, cool amorality rather than outrage. Real kids are much more interesting.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah - and it will last - but the gaze of that film is still that of the pederast, even though the story comes from the 'kids' (i.e. korine) itself, the way it's shot is still really objectifying.

yeah, good point - hadn't really thought about it like that, in all honesty.

Have you seen L.I.E. ? Not exactly comparable, but just popped into my head for some reason. truly amazing performances.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yeah, good point - hadn't really thought about it like that, in all honesty.

Have you seen L.I.E. ? Not exactly comparable, but just popped into my head for some reason. truly amazing performances.

LIE made me glad I hadn't seen it when I was a teen, cos I would have turned into that kid so quickly - you're right, the performances are truly truly brilliant. His fur coat is to die for.

Does this mean that Korine's new film is a load of fucking rubbish then? Is it just one big Chelsea Arts School punning graduation performance piece?

nochexxx

harco pronting
the only film of his i've seen that i've liked is Gummo. the boxing scene is worth it's weight in gold.

and so is this

Last edited:

PeteUM

It's all grist
the only film of his i've seen that i've liked is Gummo. the boxing scene is worth it's weight in gold.

and so is this

Me and you hang out too much. I was just thinking of these two exact clips. I like the fight scene and i quite like the idea of Harmony Korine (his name is fucking Harmony Korine ffs!) and I don't mind him in that interview but I tried to watch Julien Donkey-Boy the other day and I found it horribly hipsterish and I gave up after about a third of it.