Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harmony korine

Default harmony korine

I was very interested in this guy as a teenager and i can't lie i still am. Post your reasons I should have outgrown him in this thread.
    Did anybody else read A Crackup at the Race Riot? The one where he's got all the faked celebrity death notes. Also his post-Gummo three-screen installation which works as a sequel
    just rewatched Julien Donkey Boy

why can't i embed

an exgirlfriend gave me crackup at the race riots for a birthday, i often dip into it even now.

He's one of those people that I like that you're not supposed to like.

Like Jeff Koons or Vincent Gallo.

"why can't i embed this"
    That's pretty funny, but I still can't stand Harmony Korine.

Kids still stands up as one of the most visceral films I've ever seen. Outlasted any other 'teen shock' movie by virtue of actually being very good.

Yeah - and it will last - but the gaze of that film is still that of the pederast, even though the story comes from the 'kids' (i.e. korine) itself, the way it's shot is still really objectifying.

I really liked Gummo, I thought Donkey Boy was arse, but I keep an open mind about what he might do. I thought he fell heavily down an 'F is for Fake' faux-post modern route, where I thought Gummo showed the potential for him to be the 'realest', i.e. realism, filmmaker of his time, but he went somewhere else with it and I lost interest.

His new film is about people who shag bags of rubbish.

I don't know much about him, but isn't he one of those people that you're 'not meant to like' that actually everyone likes, they just preface their like of him with the caveat that you're (apparently) not meant to like him? Like Hall and Oates.

Or Gordon Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    I don't know much about him, but isn't he one of those people that you're 'not meant to like' that actually everyone likes, they just preface their like of him with the caveat that you're (apparently) not meant to like him? Like Hall and Oates.

I actually just don't like him. His films are shit. Gummo is one of the few films I've walked out of. Out of boredom rather than outrage. I don't like Kids much each other - it's just the flipside of a Daily Mail view of the world, cool amorality rather than outrage. Real kids are much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Yeah - and it will last - but the gaze of that film is still that of the pederast, even though the story comes from the 'kids' (i.e. korine) itself, the way it's shot is still really objectifying.
    yeah, good point - hadn't really thought about it like that, in all honesty.

Have you seen L.I.E. ? Not exactly comparable, but just popped into my head for some reason. truly amazing performances.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    ...cool amorality rather than outrage.
    I <3 cool amorality.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    yeah, good point - hadn't really thought about it like that, in all honesty.

Have you seen L.I.E. ? Not exactly comparable, but just popped into my head for some reason. truly amazing performances.
    LIE made me glad I hadn't seen it when I was a teen, cos I would have turned into that kid so quickly - you're right, the performances are truly truly brilliant. His fur coat is to die for.

Does this mean that Korine's new film is a load of fucking rubbish then? Is it just one big Chelsea Arts School punning graduation performance piece?