qt

don_quixote

Trent End
bus shelter method is also used for polynomial division at a-level. essentially it can be left for 14+ if you want to. i've no idea what napier's bones is btw.

mixed_biscuits

It looks something like this:
Gelosia_multiplication.jpg

The last method I know is Vedic cross-multiplication, which is what 'professional' mental calculators tend to use. The two rows of dots are standing in for numbers:

UT5.gif

Apparently, at the mental calculation world champs competitors are given 8 x 8 digit multiplications which have to be solved without writing any workings. They can, however, jot down their answer as they get it, making them feasible by cross multiplication. You can just imagine what 8 x 8 digits would end up looking like using the column or area methods.

grizzleb

It's expectation that really makes private schools perform better, if mummy and daddy expect 5 A A levels then that will be whats coming. If you are in a household that can afford to send you to a private school then education is already held in high regard within that family. Well, that and just pure teaching for exams grade-grubbery. Or cheating. A guy I sit next to in a class was telling me about how his old school (private) used to give the questions out before resits etc. Shit like that. Means you get 98% pass rates etc.

Hmmmm...

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
It's expectation that really makes private schools perform better, if mummy and daddy expect 5 A A levels then that will be whats coming. If you are in a household that can afford to send you to a private school then education is already held in high regard within that family. Well, that and just pure teaching for exams grade-grubbery. Or cheating. A guy I sit next to in a class was telling me about how his old school (private) used to give the questions out before resits etc. Shit like that. Means you get 98% pass rates etc.

Hmmmm...

That's definitely food for thought, but I don't think you can apply it across the board; my bird's wee sister (youngest in the family, and the only one to go to a private school) certainly got a ribbing from her parents for the exact reason you mentioned at first, they expected straight As, and let's just say she didn't deliver. From my experience though, private schools produce both tremendously apt people and those who are so inept you cant believe they made it through school let alone got in to uni, fuck knows how they do it (maybe cheating as you'd said) but they do seem to be much better at getting good grades out of potential dunces, even if they perhaps don't do as much for someone who could have fared well in a state school to begin with. Maybe I'm treading old ground here, didn't read the previous page or anything.

Anyway, was anyone watching tonight? I only caught the last half hour, but thought the Lib Dems got a bit of a pasting (good lols at the double teaming they got for being "a party that never actually has to do anything", "they can promise the world knowing they'll never have to deliver"), and that Coren bird from the Guardian came off well, even if she did seem to have a habit of making a few too many shite jokes in what was maybe an attempt to warm the crowd to her. I don't see the point in having that Daily Mail guest on though; maybe it's a liberal bias in me, but Coren didn't seem too partisan in that she was happy to give the tories credit where credit's due, and was equally comfortable sticking the boot in to Blair, Brown and Alan Johnson. On the other hand, that Daily Mail chap (didn't catch his name) was just a one dimensional twat who didn't really have an awful lot of constructive stuff to say for the Tories, but was really keen to give the Lib Dems and Labour a dressing down at any opportunity. He brought absolutely no balance to the show whatsoever.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Anyway, was anyone watching tonight? I only caught the last half hour, but thought the Lib Dems got a bit of a pasting (good lols at the double teaming they got for being "a party that never actually has to do anything", "they can promise the world knowing they'll never have to deliver"), and that Coren bird from the Guardian came off well, even if she did seem to have a habit of making a few too many shite jokes in what was maybe an attempt to warm the crowd to her. I don't see the point in having that Daily Mail guest on though; maybe it's a liberal bias in me, but Coren didn't seem too partisan in that she was happy to give the tories credit where credit's due, and was equally comfortable sticking the boot in to Blair, Brown and Alan Johnson. On the other hand, that Daily Mail chap (didn't catch his name) was just a one dimensional twat who didn't really have an awful lot of constructive stuff to say for the Tories, but was really keen to give the Lib Dems and Labour a dressing down at any opportunity. He brought absolutely no balance to the show whatsoever.

Question Time's just essential watching at the moment, I thought Victoria Coren (is she Alan Coren's daughter?) was excellent, a new Burchill in waiting there I reckon. Richard Littlejohn was foul.

samdiamond

crackerjack

his expenses shit (which i can't make my mind up btw).

Cos of the gay angle?

I think we should be past that now, there are plenty of gay MPs and of all parties, the LDs and their voters should be the least homophobic.

This looks like fraud – unlike, say, flipping, it's not covered by generous HoC expenses rules. In fact, there are clear parallels with social security, where it's an offence to claim for HB when your landlord is in fact your partner.

He's a goner.

samdiamond

Obviously completely agree that it is fraud and he should go, but I can't help but think that theres something tragic in going to such lengths to avoid coming out.

grizzleb

He's a pretty impressive character though. Kind of like a Bill O'Reilly type guy, smarter than he lets on but even more of a scumbag for it. Takes a certain type of person to be that odious.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Victoria Coren

Youtube:

"I must admit the last thing I expected was to be engrossed in my own thoughts imaging this posh lass getting biffed by three hung black men in a seedy corridor at Oxford uni, whilst she cums out loud x 3."

"I must concur she is very enchanting. I wonder if she takes it up the arse ?"

My mind boggles, as I don't even find her in the least attractive. Is it a posh blonde thing?

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
"In my view, it is pointless for most 14-year-olds starting their GCSE courses to be force-fed mathematical topics which they will never use, when what they desperately need is to become more comfortable with numbers including percentages and fractions used in the world of finance."

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: