qt

four_five_one

Infinition
I was in the pub at the time this was shown, making almost word for word the same argument Will Self made about the Bulger killers... I was shouted down, of course, whilst Self was applauded. The argument that perhaps the murder of a child and the murder of an (equally innocent) adult might be equally reprehensible. The murder of a child is always far, far worse apparently.

Plus, I just find it astonishing how many people still believe in this idea of 'intrinsic evil'. It's infantile. A moral fantasy...

Seems like Carol Vorderman is pretty 'unsavory' and, well, 'kooky' is the word that came to mind.

don_quixote

Trent End
it reaffirmed my belief in the awesomeness of will self. god i would much prefer him as a public intellectual media darling than stephen bloody fry.

four_five_one

Infinition
it reaffirmed my belief in the awesomeness of will self. god i would much prefer him as a public intellectual media darling than stephen bloody fry.

Stephen Fry is just nice harmless and safe. I always see him being clever or 'quite intelligent', but never intellectual as I understand it. His ubiquity is one reason I never just sit down and turn on the TV, I'm always afraid I might find him on there being dull.

The QT audience was up for 'being challenged' and were able to think about what Self said and then applaud. But most people find Countdown enough 'cognitive stimulation' for one day. This is why Vorderman is thought to be intelligent even though she only got a third class degree and wouldn't be allowed to teach in our schools according to her political party. I know a couple of mathematicians but neither of them can do neat trix like times 437 by 5 and then divide it by 18 (in their head!), so I guess they wouldn't be considered as smart as Vorderman. I'm terrible at Countdown so I supposed I'm biased against that 'type of smart' though.

mixed_biscuits

If being good comes about because of our inborn fellow feeling, then not having the capacity for fellow feeling might lead one inevitably to act badly... = psychopaths?

I thought Vorderman was good on the Mandelson point but otherwise bad. I'm a bit worried about the Conservatives turning Maths teaching into a massive arithmetic fest. Maths teaching, at least at the primary level, has been heading in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned - there's a good balance.

grizzleb

Will Self can be a bit of a self-regarding fud (pun not intended) but he was pretty spot on last week. Thought the audiences questions were some of the most perceptive I've seen on QT also.

Looking forward to tonights bit of political theatre.

Edit - lol at Carol Vorderman. Reminded me of how much I wanted to die when I seen Davina McCall on it a few years ago.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Voderman outed herself as an absolute arse, but then she is scum in most people's eyes already for doing those debt consolidation ads, surely?

One question which nobody seems to be asking is how come the tories were allowed two representatives on the panel that night? If I was in the Green Party I'd be livid (or maybe I wouldn't, I'd be all mellow and niiiiiiiiiiiiiice, ha ha).

That said it was a more entertaining prog than usual. I don't really like Will Self that much but he was spot on, as people have pointed out.

craner

Beast of Burden
Adonis is the worst here. No wait, Shirley is.

Boris and Will are slugging out the champs crown.

I still enjoy Shirley getting merked by Hitch. Slapdown!

grizzleb

I loved those acid trax that he put out. Boris has some excellent lines but he's pretty contemptible. Bullingdon Club as was pointed out. Carol is a bellendah.