James Blake

Logos

Ghosts of my life
His chords remind me of a lot of 80s r n b productions just with different sonic textures. The whole aesthetic with the pointillist approach to drums and the almost song-based form really impresses me.

wise

bare BARE BONES
confusing thing to say, never thought i'd hear that flung at him

james blakes stuff is mostly quite traditional harmonically. listen to that maybes remix posted above

That tune gets pretty discordant during the build up at 1.12 and there abouts.
It is lovely though.

Less keen on The Bells Sketch ep, too wonky for me, made me feel like i'd taken a bad combination of drugs. Sometimes he could do with reigning in the seasick synths

'Stop what you're doing' remix is great obviously

rrob

there's a mobile phone recording of the mala remix(fix?) floating about. needless to say the quality is dreadful, but it's something. i'm really excited about him

UFO over easy

online mahjong
That tune gets pretty discordant during the build up at 1.12 and there abouts.
It is lovely though.

it's such a minor and i know it doesn't have negative connotations to you like it obviously does to joe90, but everything in that tune is normal for any blues based pop music.. the melodies are quite decorated but there's nothing unresolved or 'difficult' there

im only responding because im surprised that such opposition to a bit of dissonance as expressed by joe can still exist from someone who follows dance music. there are far brasher examples of atonality in early dubstep and 2002-2004 grime than there are in shortstuff or martin kemps music. like off the top of my head pathways, or anything by jon e cash

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

even in the mainstream you got stuff like that gucci mane and mario tune, or dat girl right there. its a source of cool sounding stuff and its normal

Last edited:

Sinko

this is outrageous

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

it's not outrageous though, is it?

i mean christ, is this what people are forcing themselves into getting excited about these days? maybe my headphones are fucked but there's absolutely nothing of interest going on in any of these tracks.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
it's not outrageous though, is it?

i mean christ, is this what people are forcing themselves into getting excited about these days? maybe my headphones are fucked but there's absolutely nothing of interest going on in any of these tracks.

It is really exciting in the sense that it sounds like nothing we've heard before, but I"ll definitely agree that it feels like it lack a lot of refinement in places because it's not music that hits you just right, usually. In terms of James Blake the only track of his that draws me in completely both sonically and arrangement-wise is his Untold remix. To my ears he'll always be worth listening, but not exactly game changing yet (that's how I felt about the first FlyLo album though). I'll let the music grow on me, I really like The Bells Sketch and my favourite thing from him so far is that unreleased track Memories or something like that off Radio 1 with the soul vocals.

joe90

it's such a minor and i know it doesn't have negative connotations to you like it obviously does to joe90, but everything in that tune is normal for any blues based pop music.. the melodies are quite decorated but there's nothing unresolved or 'difficult' there

im only responding because im surprised that such opposition to a bit of dissonance as expressed by joe can still exist from someone who follows dance music. there are far brasher examples of atonality in early dubstep and 2002-2004 grime than there are in shortstuff or martin kemps music. like off the top of my head pathways, or anything by jon e cash

even in the mainstream you got stuff like that gucci mane and mario tune, or dat girl right there. its a source of cool sounding stuff and its normal

I'm sorry if you upset you ben and I understand you might have a sense of loyalty considering hes put stuff out on hessle audio. But I have being playing the piano/synth for 22 years and it grates me to hear chords and notes played out of key and thrown in willie nilly just for effect regardless if its intentional or not.

wise

bare BARE BONES

God I love this tune so much
What happened to Jon E Cash?
Atonality in grime is much better I think, prob cos it's so in your face and rude

UFO over easy

online mahjong
he's been mcing at funky nights, not sure what else he's up to

joe90 said:
But I have being playing the piano/synth for 22 years and it grates me to hear chords and notes played out of key and thrown in willie nilly just for effect

thelonious played piano for 30 years longer than you and he could get with that

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
But I have being playing the piano/synth for 22 years and it grates me to hear chords and notes played out of key and thrown in willie nilly just for effect regardless if its intentional or not.

this is exactly the point. i hear loads of stuff that just tries to chuck chords out of key to be clever, but just sounds ... out of key. the utter genius is when someone finds sour tones and offkey chords that actually sounds amazing, then the pay off is twice that of some saccharine in-key major chord progression.

i also think the slight messyness to these tracks is great, it's just too commonplace to sound clean and tidy right now. it's a function of the availability and influence of quantized technology i'm sure but nonetheless...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It is really exciting in the sense that it sounds like nothing we've heard before, but I"ll definitely agree that it feels like it lack a lot of refinement in places because it's not music that hits you just right, usually.
I think the main thing is that it sounds like nothing you've heard before in a way that would have made you go "oh, that's interesting" if you'd heard Giles Peterson play it some time in the late nineties. I mean, that Jon E Cash tune is about seven years old and still sounds about 50 times more exciting.

Not to say he's not doing great tunes (not sure, have only briefly listened to them) but it does feel a bit like people are getting picked up and hyped beyond what they're actually doing out of a desire to champion a scene that's progressing in contrast to the brostep knuckle-draggers. Which is kind of daft because there are plenty of people doing great stuff at their own pace anyway without being told that Joy Orbison is the most radical thing to hit uk dance music since Rufige Kru.

the johnny cash tune is the best one posted so far on this thread

i dont know, i get a sense of a loose, uncommitted (sonically) producer when i hear james blake, not that focussed, visionary, and transportive sense i get from listening to jon e cash

its funny, i remember people on here saying that rapid tunes sounded better when he didnt really know all the ins and outs of the software, it gave the sound an unfinished rawness which had immense charm, i can hear the unfinished element in james blake, but it just doesnt seem very charming

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I think the main thing is that it sounds like nothing you've heard before in a way that would have made you go "oh, that's interesting" if you'd heard Giles Peterson play it some time in the late nineties.

Yeah, probably doesn't need to be said, but novelty's not enough, eh.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

this is an off-key one I likealot. It isn't that off-key though, just subtley.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
one of the things i like about james blake stuff is the bass isn't always tied to the root note of whatever chord is playing, it goes to some surprising places. and i like how the bass is musical one minute and then abrasive and 'body' the next minute. i like bass as a melodic element sometimes. not just pressure and pulse.

that jon e cash tune is also awesome.

Last edited: