Bush picks Wolfowitz for president of World Bank

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Matt:
the express is tory!

it certainly supports the party.

but they're so loony that any sensible Tory would distance themselves from half the rubbish they write.

but still, yes, carry on ;-)

P.S.
the only good thing the Express has done for years is that they gave a load of money to the Niger aid appeal earlier this year, but even then there was the unseemly business of shouting about it from the rooftops: whatever happened to charity in private etc.

sorry totally off-topic i know :)

Last edited:

Paul Hotflush

techno head
bassnation said:
examples please.

Out of retirement...

OK, a good one is the case of former Guardian journalist Saad al-Fagih, who wrote various comment pieces and news stories on Muslims in Britain and war on terror, before being unmasked as a genuine fundamentalist. Various heads rolled at the Graun for that little oversight.

Also, I read a Monbiot piece in the same paper last week on oil prices and demand that I found quite interesting, until I checked the facts with a mate who works in the industry and found most of them to be inaccurate.

Trust me, the left wing media prints just as many lies as the right.

Back in retirement...

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Various heads rolled at the Graun for that little oversight

Unfortunately not Seamus Milne's

Paul Hotflush

techno head
oliver craner said:
Various heads rolled at the Graun for that little oversight

Unfortunately not Seamus Milne's

Indeed, I hope the police find the time to do an "investigation" on that guy one of these days... ;)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Matt:
i'm not too sure about that...(he has resigned now though)

to be fair, what has some loon who made out of line comments in Swindon that the Sun editorialised on got to do with the Express?

and as for Seamus Milne, he's like the Mark Steyn of the left

;)

craner

Beast of Burden
The Times as tabloid is—especially to the people at The Guardian—nothing more than another chapter in one of the longest, saddest, most telling, and most cautionary tales in the long decline of modern journalism. That is, the quarter-century journey of the London Times from probity and respectability and tradition to, under the Murdoch ownership, bland and inconsequential market-pandering mediocrity. Going tabloid is merely the topper.

In fact, the move even suggests (at least to the people at The Guardian) not just a further devaluation of The Times, but also of the 74-year-old Murdoch's power (Murdoch fell this year on The Guardian's much-watched annual list of the most powerful people in the media industry in Britain from No. 1 to No. 3, behind BBC director general Mark Thompson and BBC chairman Michael Grade). Not only was The Times being forced out of its upscale market to chase the ever rising middle-market Daily Mail (in Times editor Thomson's spin, the Times reader, traditionally part of a "narrow establishment," is now part of a much "broader establishment"), but Murdoch's most powerful machine, The Sun, the down-market tabloid, has been steadily losing strength—its working-class readers graduating to the ever more powerful Mail.

From Vanity Fair, this month. Very good article.

http://www.vanityfair.com/commentary/content/articles/050926roco01?page=4

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
The devil:
This thread would be so much better if we didn't use the words "left", "right" and "wing".

you are right Oliver.

except with Milne and Steyn - i don't think they'd object to their labels ;)

good point on that article too.
British print news journalism is a pretty sorry state, a lot of it.

British broadsheets still beat out American ones for news, though [what's all this 'Sunnis...reap the wind' shit from Tommy Friedman recently?].

not sure about extra-curriculars mind.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't know - I've not followed him recently. Don't you have to pay to read his op-eds now? What's he been saying?

This too:

As a broadsheet, The Times has seemed, for many years now, to be unfocused and identity-less. As a tabloid, this seems to become a new virtue. The tabloid Times is pure function, a news utility, a model of efficiency. A news pill. It's a paper without affect—without snobbery (or even much attitude). It's frictionless. You can almost see people absorbing it while they're in motion.