The Other Hardcore?

Diaz

hamarplazt said:
I actually always thought that the free teknivals was playing the straightforward "hardtek"-stuff rather than the weirdness. Don't know how big the catacomb parties actually were... maybe that was music nerds too... Some activity definitely still going on though, it seems Stella Michelson and La Peste are playing some joint gigs now and then.

last i heard about the teknival stuff was they threw a couple of big profile parties that really didn't end up as planned and it soured a lot of peeps. that could all be nonsense for what i know, but it seems likely as anything - esp. with reports i'd heard about their parties getting busted, or at least uncovered, like that one at the mental asylum south of paris. anybody else have a better clue on that track?

FWIW, there was a pretty packed ...house, for lack of a better phrase ( it was in an old meat locker! so nice!) for doormouse's last l.a. show and it wasn't advertised much; a few posts on slsk, some email notes a few days before and word of mouth mostly. but the kids seemed into it. like the days of yore, there were cholos and punks bumping into each other and not minding, and i saw some very drunk, very circular (his measurements were almost limited to r,d and pi you know?) and very mohawked guy waving two dollars at the water table going "I HAVE TWO DOLLARS CAN I GET SOME BREAKCORE?!??!" and getting a loud 'HELL YEAH" response from everyone in ear shot.

maybe it was dumb but man, that made my night.

omg also thanks for dropping names y'all my curiosity is almost as chronic as my verbosity. *scurries off in search of more beatage*

kingofcars

Diaz said:
FWIW, there was a pretty packed ...house, for lack of a better phrase ( it was in an old meat locker! so nice!) for doormouse's last l.a. show and it wasn't advertised much; a few posts on slsk, some email notes a few days before and word of mouth mostly. but the kids seemed into it. like the days of yore, there were cholos and punks bumping into each other and not minding, and i saw some very drunk, very circular (his measurements were almost limited to r,d and pi you know?) and very mohawked guy waving two dollars at the water table going "I HAVE TWO DOLLARS CAN I GET SOME BREAKCORE?!??!" and getting a loud 'HELL YEAH" response from everyone in ear shot.

ha! that sounds great!

regarding the weird french stuff: http://c8.com/c8/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4143
so i guess stuff in that vein is definitely still hapening.

i, too, would love to hear more regarding the current teknival scene. anyone w/ any info?

Diaz

Val and Xanopticon might be there too.

oh neat, xanopticon's pretty decent.

http://www.freetekno.fr/ is back up! OMG THE UNDERGROUND IS BACK

these guys are damn inspirational. parties in morgues, cellars, hospitals...

anyone up for a trip to france? it's less commitment for you brits but i'll do it if we can all cram into a 'bus' and i can smoke indoors.

originaldrum

from start till done
hamarplazt said:
They had just celebrated their ten year birthday, and then pulled the plug. A shame, as it was one of the most consistent labels in that scene. Mark Ns Overcast-album, 3:pM Eternal, was a brilliant way to end things from him - heavy, groovy hip hop-cut up-influenced doom electro. Or something. Quite far from the speedcore mayhem most people expect from Bloody Fist.

did you know that mark n won the oz dmc's once, time ago --- also, does the bezerker from australia fit in here somewhere?

Diaz

originaldrum said:
did you know that mark n won the oz dmc's once, time ago --- also, does the bezerker from australia fit in here somewhere?

berzerker is triply awesome because a) los angles hardcore loves him b) aussie hardcore loves him and c) los angeles skaters who don't know hardcore but seem to like it anyways loves him.

that is in a funny way the total victory for me- when someone who has totally no cool agenda at all loves something that i ( practically minister of cool agendas) love too.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
originaldrum said:
Well, I don't know what oz dmc is, but I know he once won some kind of DJ/mixing/scratching contest... is that it?

Not really sure about bezerker, don't think I've heard him... but there's lots of hard/speed/noise/break/acid-core in Australia - the Hardliner label, System Corrupt, Null Object, Rage Reset etc...

kingofcars

berzerker is big on the speedcore/metal crossover scene. did that speedcore anthem that sampled the 'my love for you is like a truck BERZERKER' bit from clerks.
i think he had a release on earache, maybe???

most of the rest of the aussie hardcore scene is more interested in hip hop, dnb, old school, or acid than they are in metal. i'd say the berzerker is more in line w/ german or u.s. acts, who get a kick out of grunty deathmetal vocals and slayer samples ;)
xtreme, dude!

@ diaz - thanks for linking to freetekno.fr!

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
hamarplazt said:
Stella is great too, but I've never been quite as amazed by her stuff, probably because she's so straightforwardly punishing, where Poka is polymorpheus and psychedelic. The Mouse EP on Homicide from last year, though, is really really great... almost cosmic in a very cold and scary way.

the Lick My Pussy EP on Underground Perversions is better still :)

mixed_biscuits

Am particularly keen on the mighty DJ Producer's bits.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Anyway, I used to be really into it, always searching for the fastest, noisiest, most brutal record yet made. A dead end, obviously, but somehow fun while it lasted. I still listen to some of it, but not often the really "stupid" stuff any more. The Fischkopf label remains my all time favorite in this field, but they had a much more experimental approach. Real avant gabber. Anyone should listen to Poka Michelsons No Name-records on Fischkopf and get blown away. They're as strange and scary and far out as any old musique concrete, but at the same time with a heavy physical impact.

Speaking of avant-gabba. just found this atomhead mix from 2005 on the hd. psychedelic wizzing sounds to send ur brain into a swirl at 200 bpm. like at least 10 years before that whole concepttronica axis... the french and belgians were on some mad shit in the 00s. maybe too manic for some of todays tory dissensus contingent, who knows...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fn10h827y5xhit/redZEROradio_-_Atomhead.mp3?dl=0

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Promo mix for the upcoming event at the Black Swan, Bristol - The Evil Within. Presented by Napalm Soundsystem, covering all factions of darkside rave.
Enjoyed digging out some classic technodrome, early frenchcore, breakcore, terror, hard drum + bass and throwing it all in the pot - apologies for any brain damage caused!
Tracklist:
The DJ Producer - Research + Development (21st Century Core)
The DJ Producer - Damage By DJ (Part 1)
Matrix + Wargroover - Neutron Bomb
Micropoint - Human Freak Box
Radium - Brain Police (Part 3)
Tripped - USA Holls
Akira - Fast + Akkurad (The DJ Producer's Tortured Dynamics Edit)
Doormouse - American Honda Finance Corporation
Kontroversy396 - Limp Razor Rash
Leto Process - Violon Dingue
Duran Duran Duran - Foursome Aktion
De-Koder - Knife (1995 Original Mix)
Current Value - Brainwash (Hidden Memories)
Current Value - The Unspoken
Technical Itch - The Legend (Evol Intent Remix)
Numek - Cardiac Lesion
I:Gor - Death's Sadistic Design
Venetian Snares - Befriend A Child Killer

Don't worry lads its not that dumb metal shit its strictly industrial badness.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Created for the Darkfloor website and Mantis Radio program, which aired the mix back in March 2014 (darkfloor.co.uk/mantisarchives/). This brings together some of our favourite rhythmic noise tracks. It moves in a rough chronological order from early innovators like Esplendor Geometrico, through the 1990s and up to the present. We've focused on artists and tracks that use elements of techno and electro, and put less emphasis on the many other excellent artists in this scene whose work is closer to dark ambient, breakcore and musique concrete.
Tracklist
Esplendor Geometrico – Trans Umma [Apocalyptic Vision, 1988]
Dive – Bloodmoney [Minus Habens, 1993]
P.A.L. – Concrete Rage [Ant Zen, 1995]
Sonar – Head Down [Daft Records, 1996]
Imminent Starvation – Lost Highway 45 [Ant Zen, 1997]
Winterkalte – Incinerator [Hands, 1997]
Synapscape – Deliverance [Ant Zen, 1997]
Hypnoskull – Rhythmusmachine Eins-Zwei [Ant Zen, 1998]
Morgenstern – Salvation [Ant Zen, 1998]
Vromb – L’objet [Ant Zen, 1999]
Orphx – Nullity v2.2 [Hands, 1998]
Huren – Tinseltown [Zhark, 1999]
Kareem – Black September [Zhark, 1999]
Somatic Responses – Ucircumflex [Hymen, 1999]
Asche – Riding on the Atomic ICE [Ant Zen, 2000]
Monolith – The Inner Core [Sleepless Records, 2011]
Roger Rotor – Maniac Monger [Ant Zen, 2012]
Converter – Flower [Ant Zen, 2000]
Mono No Aware – Worms [Hands, 2000]
Iszoloscope – The Sum of Us All [Ant Zen, 2001]
Punch Inc – Taste This [Hands, 2001]
Nullvektor – Rueckwirkung [Hands, 2011]
Cervello Elettronico – Last Words [Hands, 2013]
Geistform – Atlas [Hands, 2012]

0bleak

Created for the Darkfloor website and Mantis Radio program, which aired the mix back in March 2014 (darkfloor.co.uk/mantisarchives/). This brings together some of our favourite rhythmic noise tracks. It moves in a rough chronological order from early innovators like Esplendor Geometrico, through the 1990s and up to the present. We've focused on artists and tracks that use elements of techno and electro, and put less emphasis on the many other excellent artists in this scene whose work is closer to dark ambient, breakcore and musique concrete.
Tracklist
Esplendor Geometrico – Trans Umma [Apocalyptic Vision, 1988]
Dive – Bloodmoney [Minus Habens, 1993]
P.A.L. – Concrete Rage [Ant Zen, 1995]
Sonar – Head Down [Daft Records, 1996]
Imminent Starvation – Lost Highway 45 [Ant Zen, 1997]
Winterkalte – Incinerator [Hands, 1997]
Synapscape – Deliverance [Ant Zen, 1997]
Hypnoskull – Rhythmusmachine Eins-Zwei [Ant Zen, 1998]
Morgenstern – Salvation [Ant Zen, 1998]
Vromb – L’objet [Ant Zen, 1999]
Orphx – Nullity v2.2 [Hands, 1998]
Huren – Tinseltown [Zhark, 1999]
Kareem – Black September [Zhark, 1999]
Somatic Responses – Ucircumflex [Hymen, 1999]
Asche – Riding on the Atomic ICE [Ant Zen, 2000]
Monolith – The Inner Core [Sleepless Records, 2011]
Roger Rotor – Maniac Monger [Ant Zen, 2012]
Converter – Flower [Ant Zen, 2000]
Mono No Aware – Worms [Hands, 2000]
Iszoloscope – The Sum of Us All [Ant Zen, 2001]
Punch Inc – Taste This [Hands, 2001]
Nullvektor – Rueckwirkung [Hands, 2011]
Cervello Elettronico – Last Words [Hands, 2013]
Geistform – Atlas [Hands, 2012]

Something that bothered me about this mix was that it was so insular.
Where is the Uncivilized World, the Yb70, or the thousands of other things that would have fit while sticking to the sound covered there.

and why is this record still so cheap and unknown:
I dug it out again a few years ago to try and shine some light on it again by uploading to youtube.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Something that bothered me about this mix was that it was so insular.
Where is the Uncivilized World, the Yb70, or the thousands of other things that would have fit while sticking to the sound covered there.

and why is this record still so cheap and unknown:
I dug it out again a few years ago to try and shine some light on it again by uploading to youtube.

I don't think orphx are/were curatorial dj types tbh. I saw them live around that time and they seemed much more comfortable making grainy trippy noises on their modulars.

0bleak

I just kind of thought with how long they had been in the overlapping scenes (I mean, ok, they weren't really in the "techno" scene with their own music - but they had been keeping up with it) that they would do something maybe at least a tiny bit more unexpected instead of the exact same labels you would get from the inwards looking industrial scene (well, maybe, except for Zhark, but that would still at least be a given for Orphx).