Fire fe de Vatican

crackerjack

Ofcourse it's a publicity stunt more than anything, and maybe (?) a repost too but:

Richard Dawkins plans to arrest the pope for his part in the Child Molesting cover-up.

They ran this on ITN news last night, though with Hitchens fronting it rather than Dawkins. The newsreader warned the story contained images of the Pope some might find offensive, but it wasn't clear if that was the poster of him with a Hitler tash calling him a paedophile or the unvarnished shots of the old paedo-enabling Muslim-hating Hitler Youthite in action.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
They ran this on ITN news last night, though with Hitchens fronting it rather than Dawkins. The newsreader warned the story contained images of the Pope some might find offensive, but it wasn't clear if that was the poster of him with a Hitler tash calling him a paedophile or the unvarnished shots of the old paedo-enabling Muslim-hating Hitler Youthite in action.

Yes well the irony of a Polish pope suddenly being replaced by a German one wasn't lost on me at the time of his coronation.

I think holding any one person accountable for this is a bit of a laugh really, the whole system was endemic in it's failure. All that the public seems to want now is a lust for blood.

On a related note my mother works (as a non-Catholic mind) for the Catholic Church in NZ - the number of times I've gone into her work (with Skull Disco/Megadeath shirt on and praising Allah for the weather) to help out and been told that Brother XYZ who's hidden away with the archives that I need to go get is a convicted/known sex offender is a bit worrying. The whole Church must be rotten to it's core...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On a purely practical note, wouldn't there be a lot less of this sort of thing if Catholic priests could, y'know, marry?

Anglican vicar (mockingly): Hur hur, I like your dress mate!

Fr. Ted (spitting mad): Why don't you go and have SEX with your WIFE?!!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I think holding any one person accountable for this is a bit of a laugh really, the whole system was endemic in it's failure. All that the public seems to want now is a lust for blood.

yeah i can see where you're coming from here; Hitchens and Dawkins are nothing if not media-savvy of course.

interesting to see the Vatican's official paper splashing over the weekend w a big think-piece of the melodic legacy of the Beatles...

crackerjack

if it's not the Jews to blame, it's the gayers

edit: i've only just read the piece. Wow.
“Many psychologists and psychiatrists have demonstrated that there is no relation between celibacy and paedophilia. But many others have demonstrated, I have been told recently, that there is a relation between homosexuality and paedophilia. That is true. That is the problem.”

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
“Many psychologists and psychiatrists have demonstrated that there is no relation between celibacy and paedophilia.

this may or may not be accurate but it seems obvious, to me at least, that there is for sure relation between the psychological conditions and the inherent repressions of a life in the church and probably especially priesthood, and paedophilia.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well other sects and denominations have their own attendant scandals and problems, but it's noteworthy that it's specifically the Catholic church that has this perennial child-abuse disaster associated with it. I think most (all?) the major protestant congregations allow their clergy to marry...anyone know anything about the Orthodox churches in this respect?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"if it's not the Jews to blame, it's the gayers"
Why didn't Roger Boyes write that article?

"I have been told recently, that there is a relation between homosexuality and paedophilia. That is true."
Well if he's been told it by somebody it must be true I guess.

"Cardinal Bertone also said that the church had never impeded investigations of paedophilia by priests."
Well that's alright then.

zhao

there are no accidents
Paedophilies become preists not the other way round.

you really think so? i'm not so sure but leaning toward the opposite. that paedophillia is an inherent and necessary part of the catholic system (and not an aberration). the system creates monsters -- which also explains why the problem is, if not entirely unique, so concentrated in Catholicism and not protestantism or other sects as someone else mentioned.

zhao

there are no accidents
this might be a dumb or potentially offensive question: has anyone ever tried to demonstrate that some people are more genetically predisposed for paedophillia?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
this might be a dumb or potentially offensive question: has anyone ever tried to demonstrate that some people are more genetically predisposed for paedophillia?

Not dumb at all... a lot of sex offenders have abnormally high levels of free floating testosterone. That's why, in the U.S., a lot of them submit to hormonal castration as part of a prison program. Basically, they pump them full of progesterone to counteract the effects of the testosterone. Apparently, recidivism rates are still quite high with these guys.

A lot of psychologists claim that sexuality is more or less "set" by age 6-10, so this kind of treatment is bound to fail. A lot of pedophiles are guys with a lot of testosterone who were molested as children themselves or otherwise victimized. There are female child-rapists as well, but (iirc) I think the research indicates that they tend to be attracted to young adolescents more than pre-pubescent children (which the male ones like better). Female sex offenders rarely get caught, too, so some people say the number is much higher than people realize.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Zhao, Well I really dont think its inherent and necessary to be a paedophilie if you want to be a catholic preist.

But it is inherent and necessary for paedophile's to have access to children, a feeling of power, the trust of parents and if being above the law and having a whole system in place to cover your tracks comes as part of the deal... The preisthood is a cushty number for them.

And think of it this way, its only concentrated in Catholicism because we know about it.
Who knows what happens else where? We only have more reported rapes now, but that doesnt mean there more concentrated in this decade then the 30s.