Fire fe de Vatican

crackerjack

This is pretty shameful.

Monsignor Timothy Dolan, the Archbishop of New York, said that the Pope was “suffering some of the same unjust accusations, shouts of the mob and scourging at the pillar as did Jesus”.

He said: “Truth and falsehood are scandalously mingled in the New York Times reconstructions. You begin to wonder, is there an agenda of bias here?”

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blr8mYopyn4&feature=related"]Right, Mel knows what's going on...

edit: forgot the link. good to see the Times have got Roger back on the case. They should get him to stand outside the Vatican until the Pope quits

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
the whole self-denying, torrid horrible matter really just deserves this

01020142224000.jpg

i personally hope he gets shot.

Last edited:

crackerjack

“The use of stereotypes, the passing from personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt remind me of the more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism,” Father Cantalamessa said his friend wrote to him.

Are there any less shameful aspects he'd like to fill us in on?

mistersloane

^^ Lol innit

I was blessed a while back to meet a guy who had been brought up in the Congregation of Christian Brothers in Ireland. He was maybe 40? 45? and his lower lip still started trembling and he stroked his hands upsettingly as he told me stories of what had happened there, including the one time one of the Brothers hit one of the boys so hard that he 'never got up again'.

It's people like him who I feel hardest for when they read denials like the Catholic Church are doing at the moment, I can't even begin to understand how conflicted people who went through that sort of abuse must feel with regard a religion they were brought up with treating them now like that. At least the Church owes them some form of grace, the way they are behaving at the moment is despicable.

swears

preppy-kei
This is stupid and cuntish beyond words. Criticising an institution for gross misconduct and negligence (to say the least!) is not the same as persecuting a race of people. Arrrgghh, just fuck off you smug, pious dick.

polystyle

They made their own fire, now can burn their whole institution down with it.
Churches paying taxes is such a fine idea for this century.

grizzleb

Just shows how dislocated from the ordinary world of morality they are. All this flighty bullshit... Any other organisation that had such close links to the paedophile community and I doubt it would have survived a minute. I wonder what the tabloids / ordinary mongo catholics are saying to all this.

edit: I have a catholic extended family etc etc.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
And it keeps on going

grizzleb tbh honest people attending mass has been on the decline for years here anyway. It hasn't really been little catholic Ireland for long time. Any shed left of that is quickly getting eroded at the moment. Most of the media and people you meet are on the right side.

The pubs in Limerick could open on good friday for the first time ever this year, on account of the Munster v Lenster match. This would have been impossible years ago and plently of fire and brimstone would have been spat from the pulpit. But the hierarchy was fairly silent on the whole thing.

The church still has its apologists, plenty of people still go to mass and think the bishops walk on water etc, but I believe their a dying breed. I've been brought up in country thats been aware of the abuse and scandles have hit the front pages regularly and recently we've learned the extent of the cover ups and it has brought the whole sorry affair back into back into sharp focus.

The church has been shown fro what it is, Rowan Williams is right and only echoed the feelings of alot of people. The victims should really be at the center of this. When you see things like this, it puts alot of the other problems people have at the moment in to perspective.

The only thing that might be left is that alot of people will separate 'spirtuality' from ' religion' should they choose all that.

massrock

People might be rightly cynical about possibility for change but corrupt politics, banks and churches have all taken significant hits in recent years and though of course what is revealed is often not pretty I think that's good news. Let's keep the pressure up.

For I & I know that all of the youth shall witness the day...etc.

massrock

When I say 'hits' I guess that means PR hits more than anything, but I think that counts for something. We know what we think anyway but strength can be drawn from a more visible consensus.

mistersloane

People might be rightly cynical about possibility for change but corrupt politics, banks and churches have all taken significant hits in recent years and though of course what is revealed is often not pretty I think that's good news. Let's keep the pressure up.

For I & I know that all of the youth shall witness the day...etc.

I was thinking that the other day, everything's been very 'revelations' over the past few years, truth coming to light and all that.

polystyle

I was thinking that the other day, everything's been very 'revelations' over the past few years, truth coming to light and all that.

Agreed, keep the pressure up and watch who pops like a pimple.
Almost all institutions set up thousands -hundreds, half century ago all need to be reevaluated, and some junked completely.
Some headway being made and in aftermath of economic meltdown, some wind at the back now.
Unexpected ( yes ! ) , unforeseen and just plain new things need room to come up.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
yeah the lad in that video is a former mayor, Micheal O Brien.
That clip is from last year, on our version of question time when the ryan report was published. He's calling out the government because they are useless...
Never seen anything like it before, our whole house was numb the night it went out, horrible feeling. He's just one of people living a life like that, let down at every level.
Maybe he might come face to face with the pontiff, probably not.

Back to the vatican. tbh I dont think many are going to pop ,
No matter how much pressure or how many smoking guns they find with Ratzinger's signature on. The pope is untouchable, we all know this lot will always have an army of defenders and canon law to hide behind. The holy sea has surived long enough without listen to what anyone else says. That History of Christianity on bbc a while back showed how the every pope just changes the rules every couple of years to suit themselves.

Last edited: